Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by kcab
    HEY! Did you guys see that Dr. Ruf is doing a webinar through OGTOC?
    Gifted Online Conferences site - at least one of them...

I'm still slowly listening my way through the webinar on advocacy that happened last week - I keep getting interrupted! But, might need to join this one in real-time.

Now is a good time to join OGTOC (free webinar and discount on book):

Originally Posted by ogtoc
    Dear OGTOC List Members,
    I have excellent news! Dr. Ruf recently contacted me to tell me that she would like very much to offer her Webinar on her "Ruf Estimates of levels of Giftedness" at no cost to attendees. "In light of the recession and the diminishing options of parents of gifted children, I realize families need as much help as ever and I wish to contribute to their options by meeting with them -- via this Webinar -- at no cost to them. Because I know there are definite costs to you, Sally, I do encourage participants to make voluntary contributions if they are able."
    All who are interested must fill out a form located at

http://www.giftedonlineconferences.com/contactus.html

Note, even if you make a donation via the Donate Pay Pal button you must fill out the form:)

Also, as a member benefit of OGTOC, Jim Webb, editor and owner of Great Potential Press www.giftedbooks.com is providing a 20% discount off of Dr. Ruf's book.

The group promo code is OGTOC-145. The code will be good for 20% off Dr. Ruf�s book, 5 Levels of Gifted: School Issues and Educational Options (Formerly titled Losing Our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind), and will be valid until October 14th on phone and online orders only. The promo code must be used in order for the discount to be applied, and the discount cannot be combined with any other discount or special. If they wish to place an online order, they can do so at this link: http://www.giftedbooks.com/productdetails.asp?id=136 .
    Kind regards,
    Sally_L Admin, Owner & Conference coordinator

Visit Gifted - OGTOC at: http://giftedonlineconferences.ning.com

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/28/09 05:21 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ogtoc
    Great Potential Press www.giftedbooks.com is providing a 20% discount off of Dr. Ruf's book.

The group promo code is OGTOC-145. The code will be good for 20% off Dr. Ruf�s book, 5 Levels of Gifted: School Issues and Educational Options (Formerly titled Losing Our Minds: Gifted Children Left Behind), and will be valid until October 14th on phone and online orders only.
    As I am forever the pincher of pennies, I just ordered Ruf's "5-Levels" from Amazon for $16.47 (34% off) and, because I needed another book anyhow, I also got free shipping.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Hello, I have volunteered to assist Dr. Ruf.

I have just received some information from Dr. Ruf about the new online �screening� for intellectual levels.

Dr. Ruf�s assistant Kathy will be directly contacting those who have volunteered to be beta tested.

The testing will be limited to people who have already been tested. This is being done in order to validate the tools effectiveness.

The tool, once it becomes available will be very inexpensive.

The goal is to give parents a head start on learning all that they can about what their children need so they don�t waste precious time once school starts.

Another goal is to give families a tool to get the schools to sit up and take notice and be aware that kids enter school gifted.

Presently there are enough volunteers.

For those who wish to keep up on the product development, you can sign-up for the free e-newsletter that comes out monthly via email. Simply go to the DITD website and sign up. http://news.ditd.org/signup/eNews_SignUp.html

O
    O
    What does it mean already been tested? Does that mean she tested these children before? Has she already told the people they are getting to participate? I emailed her my interest already. My DS9 was given the WWJ III test - does that qualify?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/30/09 09:15 AM.
    I think that already been tested means having an been assessed,(IQ and Achievement) not nescesicarily by Dr. R.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Yes, Grinity is correct. The beta testers will be for those for whom already have some standardized or IQ result.

onthegomom -- The tool itself is being verified; hence an ability range of beta testers would be something that would be considered in selecting a particular tester. Once, the tool becomes available it will be inexpensive.

Dr. Ruf's free Webinar on Oct. 8 http://www.giftedonlineconferences.com/ is available to everyone, not just OGTOC members, and Dr. Ruf explains what to expect in the second quote below:

Originally Posted by OGTOC
    A message to all members of Gifted - OGTOC

Dear OGTOC List Members,
    Please invite anyone you feel would have an interest in attending Dr. Ruf's webinar. Attendees need not be current OGTOC list members.
    Certainly it would be wonderful if they did join the 24/7 social network of Our Gifted Online Conferences: A Gathering Place for All Things Gifted

Kind regards,
    Sally_L Conference Coordinator, Admin, & Owner

Originally Posted by Dr. Ruf's message to OGTOC members
    Subj: On Gifted - OGTOC: What to excpect during the webinar with Dr. Ruf

A message to all members of Gifted - OGTOC

My newly re-titled book has been re-titled to be more reflective of what is in the book. There are absolutely no changes to content. What a participant to the Webinar would discover is answers to what do more current test results mean (e.g., WISC-IV compared to WISC-III), what about learning disabilities, poor testing, age ranges at testing, etc. mean? I didn't discuss those issues in the book and many people have asked about them since its publication. Participants would also get to ask the "What if?" questions that simply can't always be addressed in a book for a wider audience. I have several summary articles, too, that participants will have available to them , including all of the detailed earlier developmental milestones and what each Level needs. Because the book came out four years ago, I've learned that there are many people who have lots of questions about this or that and they are easier to answer on a case-by-case basis. I've also continued to nip and tuck at the meaning of the Levels as I experience and learn more myself through my clientele, the development of the children from the book since then, etc.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/04/09 06:05 AM.
    C
    C
    (i) For those who are keeping track of Dr. Ruf�s beta testing: Her team is moving closer to being ready for the volunteers. At first there will be only a few for each level. It is expected that the number of volunteers will increase as the beta testing progresses.

(ii) Last week�s Webinar at OGTOC was well attended. However, a copy of the Webinar was not successfully created. Presently there is no additional Webinar planned.

O
    oli Offline
    O
    Does anybody know when will the new book be available?

E
    E
    Hi -

I registered, but did not attend. Does that mean there is no recorded version to go back to?

Thanks.

EW

note: I have not had a chance to email the organizers, so I am asking here. Thanks in advance

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM