Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by crain
    They think he is ADHD or ODD or Aspergers or EVIL...they haven't decided. It is REALLY hard on me because they don't understand him and haven't taken the time to like him.
    This makes me so sad frown I switched schools this year for the exact same reason. Last year he was the "bad kid" and not only the teachers but the students knew it.

Oh and the last time I called the gifted department the lady told me to just discipline him like any child and he'll be just fine. Hahaha!

Last edited by Jamie B; 10/20/09 10:30 AM.
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Have to gone the 'crying in the principle's office route?' Sounds like you are ready...
    This sounds like a good plan and I am ready. The full day gifted program is at another school. Should I go to the principal at his school or somebody at the school board?

Sounds like a good time to make a 'I can't take it anymore' appointment with the principls at both schools. I wouldn't try the school board unless the princ. from the second school won't talk to you. Just a hunch that their job is to be the wall.

Best Wishes (you are getting close!)
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    O
    We are with dealing teachers who don't understand what high levels of gifted means to a child.Along with that we are learning what to do. Try to have a lets work together attitude. I would go to the principal for help. If she doesn't understand can you get an expert to validate what is needed for this child. We have a therapy type organization in our area that specializes in helping families deal with giftness. Can the people who did the testing make a formal reccomendation for education?I'm not sure if this is the best way to go but thought I would offer the idea.

Originally Posted by crain
    It is REALLY hard on me because they don't understand him and haven't taken the time to like him.

I strongly advice families to put their kids in classrooms where the teacher likes them. My son spend 2nd grade with a teacher who though that 'there was something wrong with him.' 6 hours a day, 180 days later, she had him quite convinsed. This teacher did, I believe 'love' my son, but it just plain wasn't good for him to be with someone who judged him harshly (and unconsiously encouraged the kids to do the same.)

Sometimes this can be turned around with the sneaky old trick.
    A) Send in notes every other day about what your child likes about the teacher. Strech the truth if need be, but don't get caught.
    B) Report that you are doing a 'home disipline program' that gives rewards for the good things he does in school every week, so ask for a weekly (or daily - if you think that she's do it) highlight that you can use as part of your disipline program. Tell her that you are particularly looking for moment that prove to your son that he can focus, or be kind, or whatever the current charge against your son is.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Best Wishes (you are getting close!)
    Grinity
    Thanks!

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    We are with dealing teachers who don't understand what high levels of gifted means to a child.Along with that we are learning what to do. Try to have a lets work together attitude. I would go to the principal for help. If she doesn't understand can you get an expert to validate what is needed for this child. We have a therapy type organization in our area that specializes in helping families deal with giftness. Can the people who did the testing make a formal reccomendation for education?I'm not sure if this is the best way to go but thought I would offer the idea.
    Unfortunately the school board did the testing smile

Is homeschooling an alternative?
    I just saw that the 'full time gifted program' for 1st grade does mostly first grade work. Humm. Better to visit and observe now than invest too much in that alternative...
    Grinity

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Is homeschooling an alternative?
    I just saw that the 'full time gifted program' for 1st grade does mostly first grade work. Humm. Better to visit and observe now than invest too much in that alternative...
    Grinity
    It's an alternative but I want to see what else is out there. I'm a programmer and work from home so I'm sure it's doable because it's not like we'd have to spend 8 hours on school each day.

C
    C
    I want to give up and ditch school at least once a month. However, my kiddo is much happier with it than I am. She wants to stay in school. It took us an entire year of advocacy to get appropriate placement for this year. Last year was a complete wash academically. My whole family was stress out and miserable.

Yesterday I went to our 1st parent teacher conference and it was great. Having teachers who really like your kid and want her to be challanged makes all the difference. DD is now fully integrated into 4th grade math and getting very good marks.

She is in a pullout Language Arts/Ecology enrichment group with 2 other girls. The teacher doing that has arranged a penpal relationship with an environmental activist/children's book author. The are currently making a water conservasion board game. One copy is going to another school in Australia and one will stay at their school. Once its done the girls are going to visit all the sciece classroom pk-12 to let them know about their project.

DD is in a solo reading group. Just her and the teacher. That she loves too! They are reading a Wrinkle in Time!

But this was after a year of review and barely any differentiation or acceleration. I know the administration has a different view of what to do with gifted than her current teachers. I'm hoping that this wonderful boardgame thing will help convert them. Maybe she can skip 3rd and have the wonder 4th grade math teacher next year all day (except math)?

The school also has a gifted summer camp program. DD qualifies testing wise, but its for kids who have completed 3rd-5th grade. Her teachers said she should apply this year!

Warning: sleep deprived
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    It sounds like you've made some great progress Chrys!!! The board game sounds so cool!

Does your DD like the arrangement now?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM