Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm at the point now where I want to pull DS out of school and just homeschool him. I do work full time from home so I'm not sure how I'd manage but I think it'd be easier than dealing with the school and school board.

What do you guys tell yourself to keep going and pushing?

Here's a short rundown of where we are:
    DS is in a regular K classroom. He gets 90 minutes of enrichment a week and the school board says that that means they're upholding their part to educate him. He gets a few 1st grade reading worksheets in class that he has to do at his desk in the corner while the other kids learn with the teacher. Most of the 1st grade work they give him is sent home as homework all the while he complains about how bored he is at school and how he wants to learn something new.

I've talked to his teacher about moving him up to 1st grade and she says that he's fidgets too much for that to happen. She and the gifted teacher suggested that he had ADD so I got a counselor from the school board to go in and observe him and I took him to his pediatrician. The pedi said he saw no problems and the counselor said that she saw no issues. She said that DSs teacher said his issues aren't really in class it's more that he's clumsy and she's worried about him for safety reasons. They won't even allow him to do AR because he fidgets.

I've called the gifted department and the head told me that they could put him in full time gifted in 1st grade and he'd be doing some 1st grade and some 2nd grade work (he's beyond both of these right now) but other than that there's nothing that they could do for him. I've tried to talk to the principal but so far I haven't been able to reach her.

The counselor said that his teacher commented how well behaved he is when he's challenged and that she's going to go talk to the gifted department about moving him up to 1st grade but based on all of my conversations with the gifted department I doubt that that will happen. His gifted teacher said at this point she wouldn't even recommend him for full time gifted next year because he can't focus on the coloring and crafts that they do for 90 minutes a week.

I'm SO frustrated. No matter who I call it seems like I can't get any help. Nobody seems to understand that coloring for 90 minutes a week isn't doing anything to help DS with his need to learn new things. They do seem to get that his being bored is related to his behavior but at the same time use his behavior as an excuse not to do anything for him.

I'm at a loss now. I know I've said most of this before but just had to get it out again. This is the only place that I know of to go where people will understand what I'm going through.

I just don't know what to do now.

E
    E
    frown I don't have any advice but wanted to send you some virtual hugs:

> smile <

M
    M
    I guess I can't offer much help because I'm one of the "gave up" group. smile But, many many hugs your way. I would make sure you understand all the gifted law/policy that would apply to your son.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Hi JamieB,
    Have to gone the 'crying in the principle's office route?' Sounds like you are ready...

Something about your child's behavior is making you feel bad/worried/sad/frustrated. Put everything that's bothering your into your child's social and emotional needs - it's the only language that the school understands.

Go back and tell the story from this point of view, make them feel the child's suffering. (You and I know what this suffering is like, and assume everyone else get it too, but they don't. Help them.)

Then state that you don't know what the answer is - but that things can't go on the way they are now. Request, in writting (not email) an immediate trial in the first grade gifted program as a diagnosic to see if that shows what his problem is. Offer to sign a 'waiver' freeing the school for any bad outcomes from a gradeskip. Bring in a few pages that show what your son is doing now - they should be stuff that correlates with things that are learned in school. It may be that the 2nd grade gifted program would be a better fit. Don't get caught up in the 'what about next year?' issue - right now you just have to try and find out what works and cross that bridge when you come to it.

((Hugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Have to gone the 'crying in the principle's office route?' Sounds like you are ready...

Go back and tell the story from this point of view, make them feel the child's suffering. (You and I know what this suffering is like, and assume everyone else get it too, but they don't. Help them.)
    This sounds like a good plan and I am ready. The full day gifted program is at another school. Should I go to the principal at his school or somebody at the school board?

C
    C
    I am a teacher who is going through the exact same thing with my ds6. Go to the principal first. Try to get them on your side. Read A Nation Deceived (you can get the entire report on-line). Talk to the principal about subject acceleration (which is a lot more than worksheets in the corner). Ask them about center activities or choice activities for your child. I wish we had the chance for the gifted school option. I would take it in a heartbeat and my son goes to my school. smile

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm shy too so this is very hard for me.

I have the testing results and have shown them to every person that I've asked for help smile When they see them they let their mouth hang open for one second and make a comment about how I'm right and they are high scores but so far it hasn't helped much getting anything done.

I wish his teacher had an email address that I can use. We communicate through his agenda book and we usually write back and forth a few times a week.

Thanks for the strength smile

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by crain
    I am a teacher who is going through the exact same thing with my ds6. Go to the principal first. Try to get them on your side. Read A Nation Deceived (you can get the entire report on-line). Talk to the principal about subject acceleration (which is a lot more than worksheets in the corner). Ask them about center activities or choice activities for your child. I wish we had the chance for the gifted school option. I would take it in a heartbeat and my son goes to my school. smile
    Wow...so you teach at the school that your son goes to? I can't imagine how that must be. I'd be scared to say too much because of my job but at the same time being there might help get what you need for your son.

C
    C
    Did I write this??? Weird...I am not alone!!!

C
    C
    It's actually worse having him there. We already took him out of a different school because he was already "known" at the school for his terrible behavior. I thought I was taking him to a safe haven at my school, but it is the same story...
    "Modify his behavior...if he's so smart, he should know to behave" They subject accelerated him in Reading last year in Kindergarten, but haven't this year. They think he is ADHD or ODD or Aspergers or EVIL...they haven't decided. It is REALLY hard on me because they don't understand him and haven't taken the time to like him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM