Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    Once its done the girls are going to visit all the sciece classroom pk-12 to let them know about their project.
    Wow!!!

DD is in a solo reading group. Just her and the teacher. That she loves too! They are reading a Wrinkle in Time!
    Wow - loved that book! Would have loved to read it with my teacher in 2nd grade! Heavenly!

But this was after a year of review and barely any differentiation or acceleration. I know the administration has a different view of what to do with gifted than her current teachers.
    Good for you for all that daring and hard work!
    I'm hoping that this wonderful boardgame thing will help convert them.
    It might, but my hunch is that the subject acceleration in 4th, and the relationship with the 4th grade teacher will be what clinches it.

Maybe she can skip 3rd and have the wonder 4th grade math teacher next year all day (except math)?

The school also has a gifted summer camp program. DD qualifies testing wise, but its for kids who have completed 3rd-5th grade. Her teachers said she should apply this year!

Both sound like great ideas! Thanks for sharing the good news. We need to hear it!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    Your story sounds just like ours.
    I am this close to giving up......
    I feel that all this energy that we spend on advocating, could benefit to my DS in a productive way if we would be homeschooling.
    Hang in there, I know it is not easy.

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    On Tuesday I went to school to read to the kids in the library so I stopped by the office and asked to talk to the principal and was told that she wasn't there. Yesterday I called for her and was told that she wasn't there and I left a message. Today I called and was told that she was out sick and whatever I had to talk to her about I could talk to the teacher about. No offer to take a message. I went early to pick my son up and guess who was in the office just walking around?? The missing principal! My son and I had to get somewhere so there's no way I could have stayed and talked to her but I guess I'll try again tomorrow ;(

N
    N
    That sounds so frustrating. I am so sorry, that the principal is avoiding the conversation. Hope that you can have a good talk tomorrow.

O
    O
    Yesterday, I got my son's whole desk worth of books because he would be out from school 2 days. This scared me about acceleration. I got really intimidated by so much I just don't really know about. How will I figure out what he needs? I thought about giving this up.

Deep Breath, it will be OK they don't expect me to be an expert. I'm a mom not a teacher or Gifted expert. Sometimes little changes can make a big difference and that's all I really want right now.

J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Another update....I thought DS was having a good two weeks at school. No big behavior problems except talking out of turn. Today he came home with a behavior ticket. I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's something that the teacher and I both sign and that they keep on file. It was for bad naptime behavior. When he started this school I talked to the principal about naps and told her that he has never taken them and she promised me that they'd find something else for him to do.

Not only did he have a write up but he came home with a behavior plan. When I went meet with the teacher a month ago she told me that she didn't think behavior plans worked and that she wouldn't put him on one. Now for every activity they do he gets a happy, medium or sad face and I have to sign it. Looking at it I've noticed that most of his sad faces are during nap, math or reading time. This only leads me to believe even more that his behavior is related to his being bored. We have conferences on Tuesday and I guess I'll find out what it's all about.

If I didn't know better I'd think that the teacher is going to use this behavior plan as yet another reason why they won't accelerate him in anything.

Last edited by Jamie B; 10/23/09 08:24 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM