Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I've been trying to find a list of reading books suitable for a highly sensitive girl aged 8. Does anyone know where there's a list of suitable books? jojo

I am not sure about a list, probably folks here could make recommendations. When you say sensitive, do you mean avoids scary books?
    What sorts of books has she enjoyed in the past?

J
    jojo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My friend's daughter is highly sensitive to scary things, spiders, pictures of spiders, monsters, snakes, etc. She's quite enjoyed Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers, Secret Seven and Geronimo Stilton. Just wondering if there was an established list of non-scary books for sensitive girls... jojo

I personally loved the Little House books, and although there are some specifics on animal rearing and butchering, I think all in all they are very beautiful books with kind, gentle, resourceful people portrayed.
    Have you tried looking on the Hoagies site? They have some book lists and also pages on OE's.

W
    W
    I haven't come across a list of this type, but Nancy Pearl's Book Crush is a great resource--she provides a narrative intro to books for different ages and interests, and we've been using it extensively to locate new books for my readerly but sensitive 8 year old. The Beverly Cleary books are great for this age (Ramona, Beezus, and other series, as well as a number of stand-alone books). We've also had good luck with "old" books--Mallory Towers, and other boarding school series (Chalet School,St Clare's), with classics like The Phantom Tollbooth, and with realistic fiction that doesn't dwell on social problems or dysfunction. The lists of Newbery and Caldecott winners are also useful--http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberyhonors/newberymedal.cfm--and the older books tend to have fewer supernatural elements.

I also have used librarians as a great resource for this sort of question. The children's librarian at our county library seems to know every book in the place.

O
    O
    Try this. My son and daughter like this series:

Pearl the cloud fairy / by Daisy Meadows

Description 69 p. : ill. ; 20 cm.
    Note "A little Apple paperback."
    Audience RL2.
    006-009.
    Summary When everyone in Wetherbury becomes gloomy, Rachel and Kirsty think the Cloud Feather might be to blame.
    ISBN 0439813883 (pbk.)

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/07/09 07:38 AM.
    D
    D
    We've had really good luck with the "classics" Wizard of Oz, Anne of Green Gable, Heidi etc.

T
    T
    My DD really enjoyed the Fairy Realm series--positive main character, adventure that isn't too scary....not the "deepest" reads, but nice and enjoyable.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Betsy-Tacy series (although I find the first book a little slow and it has a sad reference to Tacy's baby sibling dying). You could easily start with the second book. They are WONDERFUL, and there is a nice sized list of them if she likes them.

What about the American Girl books? My DD also likes the updated versions of The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew. She's currently reading and loving the Warriors series and swears it's not scary. We all love virtualy all of the Andrew Clements books.

Taminy, I remember reading the Betsy Tace series and I LOVED them!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM