Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #58394 10/16/09 12:28 AM
    M
    MaxPat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I want my DG6 to discover engineering basics through an online Lego Engineering I class available in many states, like at: http://www.clcillinois.edu/noncredi...amp;id=22396&term=1093&subj=CCMP

If you have registered through that class, I would like to hear from you, how it works, which Lego box is sent home, and what is the online access used for in combination with the Lego box?

Thanks in advance,
    Max

Max - that link didn't have anything about LEGOs.

I haven't tried one but I'd definitely be interested.

Have you looked at LEGO Education website? http://www.legoeducation.us/store/Default.aspx?retest=1&domainalert=1&bhcp=1

I have several of their products (LEGO Motorized Simple Machines, Engineering level II, Motorozied MEchanisms) if you have questions.

Dazey

O
    O
    http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/program/work/#other

I have never taken this class. Northwestern learning links offers an online robotics classes using lego educate materials.

There are also lego robotics threads here. This thread has another thread listed in it's message. http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/52482/Robotics_lego_mindstorm.html

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/16/09 06:20 AM.
    M
    MaxPat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the replies.

Not sure what happened to the link, but here is another one: http://www.contedu.org/youth-programs/129-on-line-lego-elementary-engineering-for-kids

In case the link has a pb. again, here is the common class summary they all share:

--------------------------------------------
    On-line Lego Elementary Engineering for Kids
    Ages 8 and Older
    This class is an on-line version of the ever popular Elementary Engineering. Once registered for this course, you will be sent a LEGO� kit with over 1,000 very advanced LEGO� parts and pieces. When you receive the kit in the mail, then you are ready to take the class. Yes, you keep the kit when the class is over! The class consists of engineering theory and instruction plus 6 very complex building exercises. This class is for the serious builder!
    The class is 7 weeks in length. Your 7 weeks will begin when you register and pay for the class.
    --------------------------------------------

I checked the Lego website, the education one, the engineering one, and a lot of resources online including Tufts univ, FLL, etc. None of them refers to that specific Engineering online class. The only thing I found is that maybe it's based on the Technology set, since it's one of the few basic Lego ed. sets with 1,000+ pieces.

I read the previous thread about Mindstorms, which is why I posted this one. My daughter has done some Lego robotics programming before, but I would like her to start with basic engineering this year, and later on do robotics.

Onthegomom: thanks for the NW link. I think I might consider that one next after the engineering class. Have you tried it, and what do you think of that new WeDo program from Lego? I get confused with all what you need, bricks box, software, applications, and how they are sold separately.

Dazey: thanks for the link and the info. What's your experience with the 3 sets you mentioned, and which one you think should be a good one to start with, for increasing challenge ?

Thanks a lot!
    Max

O
    O
    Originally Posted by MaxPat
    Thanks for the replies.

Onthegomom: thanks for the NW link. I think I might consider that one next after the engineering class. Have you tried it, and what do you think of that new WeDo program from Lego? I get confused with all what you need, bricks box, software, applications, and how they are sold separately.

I never did the northwestern lego class, we took online writers workshop there. It was good. I just offered it up incase you might like the info.

I will look into the class you mentioned my DS could use something to do like that this winter.

Thank

B
    B
    Great links...the bummer is that all of these super cool things we keep hearing about/finding are for ages 8 and up...not a lot of choices for a 6 year old who is massively into programming/lego :-(

O
    O
    Check out lego education because they have robotics for Preschoolers.

Another thought, My gifted son has done lego sets 2+ years ahead for years. If the lego course says for 8+ and your child is gifted or your going to be involved or she has lots of lego experience it may be right for her.

I'm wondering if it will be too easy for my nine year old? Anybody know? I'm thinking this is general population class. (I hope that doesn't sound snobby, just trying to gage what would be good)

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/16/09 09:57 AM.
    O
    O
    http://www.contedu.org/youth-programs/129-on-line-lego-elementary-engineering-for-kids

I just called re: lego class from above.
    They don't check on age. That's just reccomended age.

This is very different than Northwesterns class which includes more teacher involvement and that is reflective of the price. The price is much less thru cont. ed class - a different type of experience. Might be a great place for us to start Lego programing.

How did you find out about this class?

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/16/09 10:46 AM.
    MAX - I've got to learn more about this class!!!! The only thing I can think of is that it is referring to the LEGO Engineering I and II kits from LEGO Education.

I like the kits I have. I think they are over-priced but it's LEGOs lol. I needed the books that go with them to get the most out of them.

I have to get the boys working as we went to a play today but I'll address your questions later.

I think there is a thread on the kits at WTM curriculum board.

Dazey

So is the class linked to above a video class? You watch the videos online for 7weeks from the time you receive your kit?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM