Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mom2LA #5862 12/13/07 01:24 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There's an audio book on the shelves of our library that entitled: 'When you believe it, you'll see it."

LOL! I don't think it's about Giftedness.

So Incogneato - your name goes way back! So glad you are here with us now! ((hugs))

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Dottie #5865 12/13/07 01:35 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    DD1's 4th grade teacher for example spent half the year saying "I can't believe she's the youngest".

Those few comments are absolutely priceless!

Wow, I can't tell you how many times I've heard that one!

Mom2LA #5871 12/13/07 02:00 PM
    Do you ever find this "blindness" in other parents of kids the same age as yours?

Dottie #5883 12/13/07 06:09 PM
    Our K teacher who recognized DS6 was new, too. 1st grade teacher? An old hand.

Kriston
    Maybe I will throw in something else, to make this spin.
    From my observation it is either really stupid teacher, or a gifted teacher that can't handle gifted students.
    I have a few examples of stupid ones, that did not get my son at all, but also a really gifted one, ADHD but gifted, who could not handle him.

Ania #5910 12/14/07 05:38 AM
    K
    K
    In defense of my son's teacher this year (who's not the greatest, most passionate teacher in the world) - she has 26 1st graders. Some who can barely recognize a handfull of sight words or add 2 single digit numbers (despite the fact we're at a high achieving school). She is trying somewhat with the high end kids. But I don't think she has nearly the resources, support, or understanding (no GT training is required at our school, unlike some other schools in our district) to make it really work. And no child left behind just accencuates this. I'm not making excuses for her. But I think the whole "system" is broke and doesn't make it easy to reach kids at the end of the spectrum.

We are probably going to stick it out for this year (socially, my son loves school and I'm about to start "hot housing" his math a bit (which he is excited about) with Singapore - thanks for the permission Trinity! ;-) ), but we're probably going to have to make some kind of change next year.

kimck #5911 12/14/07 05:42 AM
    K
    K
    On the youngest comments, I was also going to say I feel like we get "Well, of course he's ahead, he's the oldest!" on our son as an excuse for his precociousness. He has an October birthday. As if 9 months would push him years ahead? We never really thought of early K for him. He was a very active preschooler and we were in GT denial.

Dottie #5919 12/14/07 06:59 AM
    K
    K
    The size one is good too. People are so weird! My son is a shrimp, so he's got that going for him. wink I've seen very little correlation between academic achievement and chrological age within grades. Behavoir - yes. Achievement - no. And size? I'm pretty sure there'd be no scientific correlation there! I'm surprised teachers feel this way. They must get kids of all size every year at all different levels. That seems really unprofessional.

Getting rid of rote stuff is a great plan. <filing that for later>

Dottie #5922 12/14/07 07:29 AM
    L
    L
    In our small town people do notice my 9 year old son's giftedness because he is very articulate and his intelligence shows in his speech and the comments and jokes he likes to make about what is currently happening in the news. We have been asked more than once by people in town when we would let him go to college. They also ask me what grade levels he is "really" working at when I tell them he would be in fourth grade by age.

His musical theater teacher noticed the giftedness when he was four and this is why she gave him several hundred words of script to memorize in addition to the songs he had to learn from "Babes in Arms." I don't think the bright four year olds that are currently in our group would be able to do this.

It is only when he has to do physical activities where he is not able to talk that people don't see the giftedness. He is definitely not physically gifted. It is hard for him when the choreographer and acting teacher tell him they think he is not trying when he is in fact trying very hard, but having to compensate for a mild physical differences for which he has never had any kind of physical or occupational therapy.

kimck #5923 12/14/07 07:30 AM
    Mia Offline
    kimck: ds is also a shrimp -- not teeny, but on the small side for sure, and a May birthday. Not getting us anywhere!

I think it's absolutely true that teachers often don't recognize giftedness, not least because they have a million children to be watching. That's not necessarily their fault. On the other hand, if a gifted child is brought to their attention, with testing, and they still refuse to do anything, believing not that the child is gifted but slightly advanced or hothoused ... that's the tragedy for these kids, I think. The school district has to weed out the "bright" from the "gifted," and it seems like (at our school at least), they're throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Mia
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM