Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    Thanks!! I appreciate your help and advice! smile (Was just reading through a note you sent when I had similar questions about my DS, and that was very helpful too! :))

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Cricket2, are you sure this isn't the profile of a DYS child?
    I really don't think so. She doesn't have any qualifying scores and she's taken a lot of tests. The WISC wasn't qualifying on GAI, FSIQ, or either of the two (PRI or VCI). While she qualified on two of the scores on the EXPLORE, she would have needed three scores including the composite, which she didn't have. Yes, she took the SAT right after her 10th bd when she was in 6th grade, but she didn't do fabulously on it (not DYS qualifying scores for a 6th grader). She is going to take it again this year, so we'll see how she does then, though.

She is still a top of the class kid in 7th grade after a one year grade skip and she was already young for grade. She tested advanced on all of the state NCLB tests in 6th (reading, writing, math) the first year following her skip, and she is in the accelerated math and reading classes and is getting straight As in all of her classes (as she did last year). For this reason, I do think that the IQ scores from age 7 were probably a bit of an underestimation and she is more likely HG than MG, but I have no indication that she is a DYS eligible kid.

She does write some really beautiful poetry, though wink.

I agree with Dottie, Cricket2. DYS doesn't require a FSIQ of 145. Those 99.9+%s--especially since you're talking achievement that's up there, too--are usually pretty telling...

Kriston
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I agree with Dottie, Cricket2. DYS doesn't require a FSIQ of 145. Those 99.9+%s--especially since you're talking achievement that's up there, too--are usually pretty telling...
    Yes, but it does require either a FSIQ or GAI or PRI or VCI. Dd has none of the above and, while she does have some achievement scores in that range, she doesn't have a total math or total reading on a test they accept (like WJ) or enough scores on the EXPLORE or SAT, etc. that are in the 99.9th. Her PRI had one score in the 99.9th, one in the 25th, and the third somewhere else in the 90s, so overall that 25th pulled it down to something like the 95th, for example.

I'll try to bow out with my side track now so that the OP can get more relevant posts smile!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Her PRI had one score in the 99.9th, one in the 25th, and the third somewhere else in the 90s, so overall that 25th pulled it down to something like the 95th, for example.

Okay, I know I am sidetracking further here, but wouldn't these be the sort of scores one would expect of a 2E PG/learning disabled kid? Does anyone know the YSP's policy on 2E kids? I'd think if there were consistently some scores in the PG range but the indexes were brought down by some very low scores, indicating a LD, that they might make an exception to their stated criteria. I guess I should say that I hope they would, rather than that I think they might. I really have no idea what they'd do. After all, a 2E PG kid does need even more advocacy than an all-around PG kid.

Last edited by no5no5; 10/08/09 02:30 PM.
    C
    C
    Although dd has a dx of SPD (sensory processing disorder -- she's very overly responsive to noise) and some accommodations for noise written into her ALP at school, I really don't think that she is 2E. My younger dd may be, but dd#1 doesn't otherwise seem 2E.

Her erratic scores were more likely related to two things:

The part of the PRI that she bombed was the block design which is timed and she is not a fast processor (42nd percentile on PSI as compared to all other subtests of the WISC in the 90s). She also gets slower and stressed when pressed to work fast.

She was tested about 6 months after coming off of a really horrible 1st grade year with a teacher who yelled at her all of the time and told her that she was lazy. She was still dealing with major anxiety and self-doubt issues.

As far as I know, DYS still requires their minimum scores for 2e kids. I know there are lots of 2e kids in DYS, but my understanding is that all scored high enough to get in, despite their issues.

O
    O
    Let say you have a child who has all the characteristics with PG like obsessive learning but in 1st and 2nd grade didn't learn anything accept at home. At the end of 2nd, They take an achievement test. Wouldn't they have a disadvantage because they were not exposed to opportunities and thus have a less achievement compared to another child who was actually taught something in a school. Could one child be more capable but not do as well from lack of exposure. Does an achievement test show their capacity to learn? Or just what they have learned? I would think if a child has very good comprehension that show potential for learning. Is this where the IQ tests gives more info.

My thinking has been to stimulate him without pushing him ahead because I wanted him to not be bored in school. Despite all this he is bored at school. So He can do all kinds of yo yo tricks and origami. But of course if he got excited about castles I would get him books from the library.

Would all of this come into consideration when applying to DYS. For example my son was doing multiplication and division in K. I'm thinking this is PG? But has not really been exposed to challenging math since then due to switching schools. Instead, I encouraged depth like logical Math - Mindware books. (I'm not Mathie so I'm guessing this is out of the box stuff) So does he look like less math potential due to lack or exposure despite he could of done more in 1st & 2nd if someone gave him the opportunity. Could someone with less exposure have more potential and DYS see that?

CFK #58174 10/13/09 07:01 AM
    I agree. I think it is definitely possible that an underchallenged PG child could show underachievement on a test. But I think most HG+ kids will be living in their heads enough that they'll advance beyond their age peers even in less than ideal situations. Short of extreme conditions, they'll still be ahead. Not as far ahead as they would be in a better educational situation, but still ahead.

DS8 took the achievement test when he was 5.5yo, and he was reading many years ahead of age level (I forget how many, but a lot). I was in GT denial, so I did not have a book available to him that was above a 2nd grade reading level. He was in K, so that should have been enough, right? He wasn't getting anything above 2nd grade in school either. But he picked it up anyway somehow.

They find ways.

Kriston
    O
    O
    thank you, I was wondering about this because reading here shows me parents are doing more traditional academics than I have done.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/13/09 10:53 AM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM