Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Removed

C
    C
    My older daughter took Math 1B and Math 2A (second and third semester of Calculus) at a local college when she was a high school senior. AP calculus is the highest math class offered at high school. She took the classes for credit meaning taking tests and have a grade on her transcript.

My feeling is that teachers are better at junior college than those of AP calculus at high school. Students are more serious too because those in Math 1B and 2A class plan to major in science/engineering and to transfer to University of California systems. In general, she had pretty positive experience.

If you plan to show the college transcript to other institutions during college application, then you need to consider the grade that he may get in college class. Keep in mind that universities want to see that a student takes challenging classes and gets As.

I would not too concern about him taking the class again down the road. If he plan to major in any science, he probably need to re-take biology or chem or physics class when he gets to university. Junior colleges and high schools usually do not have the same resources. Math may be different since no costly lab is needed.

C
    C
    CFK wrote "I'm wondering about the big picture, though. What kind of impact would this have down the road?"

It is usually beneficial for high school students to take university class if they are intellectually ready. I could not think of anything negative. If the class is too hard, then just drop it or take another class that is a bit lower. No harm done.

P
    P
    Hi,

My own experience now quite a few years ago, I took one university course during my senior year in high school, auditing, good experience, was very illuminating as to what university was like which I think helped me have some insight into choosing a u for the following year. The subject material wasn't particularly hard and it was nice to learn I could handle that level. I couldn't consider taking it for credit as the u was an hour away and I couldn't be there for sure every time. After starting u myself I saw a upper level class in that subject, not usually open to freshmen, approached the teacher and they said no problem, take the class. That led to a research assistant job starting as a freshman with that professor, something other students didn't usually do til later on, so all around a great thing for me. She gave me a nice reference helping me get into the next school after university. (Also led to a boyfriend who was a junior which was a cool thing.)

My husband took AP calculus as a sophomore in HS and then took 2 for credit math and physics courses a semester for the next 2 years at his local state U. No one apparently asked him whether he wanted to do that or not, he was just signed up by his parents with the idea that that was the natural course of events for someone who'd finished with what high school had to offer. His high school was helpful in rearranging his other curriculum and he graduated with his class. He says it was a good experience, he liked the material and was able to transfer all the credit to his eventual university. His grades were not particularly good but the transferred credits did not take the grade info along with them so no harm done. He eventually gave up math in university (thinks he probably would have whether or not he'd taken extra classes ahead) but all those advanced credits gave him room to follow some interests beyond just the required courses for his major. He did wish that the local U math teachers had been more enthusiastic, but says that at his eventual more prestigious U they weren't that great either and he doesn't think that turned him off of math. As a perk of university, he got a college ID that he used to get into local bars.

Polly

L
    L
    It was quite a while ago for me, too. I started at about 12 when my dad taught a math course at the local community college and taking courses for credit my freshman year of high school. I needed to do it on my own time, though, because my school didn't believe in acceleration (even though the community college did). However, some of the credits didn't transfer to my university a few year later, and I had to redo them in college... However, I did meet some real peers during my experience, which was better than getting credit for me. I also was able to learn new material.

C-
    Many kids who audit take a related exam such as an SAT II or subject test to prove mastery. You can also get a nice rec letter from the professor when the course is completed.

I was also going to mention the rec. letter from the professor.
    DS audited Calc 1 over the summer. This was between 8 and 9 grade. Since the University class started in the beginning of May, I took him from school a good month early. He really enjoyed that!
    He audited the class but took all the tests, did all the homework etc. The professor offered to write a letter should we ever need it (disclosure - we know a lot of math prof. at that particular U).
    The reason for the class was so he could take AP Calc BC as a freshman, which he is now doing. Next year he will have to take classes at the U, but his HS allows it early - there is actually one freshman that is taking Calc 3 now.
    The biggest difference between the college and HS courses is the fact that you do them in half the time and while the material might not be overwhelming, the workload might.
    If you are looking at the early graduation from HS your son's situation will be looked upon more carefully and you will be able to explain more than regular college applicant. Ask professors to write a rec. letters that will include all of his grades etc. This to me is a win/win situation becasue if the grade is good, you ask for the letter if it is not, you do not.

P
    P
    If you are able to pay for the class I would not assume that he would have to audit just because he's in 10th grade. There are certainly schools that will allow students to take for a grade younger than that.

That said, auditing is a great way to start college classes because there is less pressure.

The other option you might want to consider is finding a mentor.

Do you plan on continuing your plan for your son (going to the college for math) for all four years of high school?
    He is taking AP Calc BC at the HS this year and it looks like after that he will have to take classes at our flagship.
    Also, is there an ARML team where you are? It would be worthwile to look into it. In our state all the top math kids meet at the ARML. Great mentoring for younger kids!

Last edited by Ania; 10/05/09 08:39 AM.
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    CFK-

I always believe rules are meant to be broken...when appropriate. I would see if you could persuade the college to change the rule (age limit or credit pre-req). Or maybe try one audit and then approach them. I know my kids would find it difficult to do all the work without anything to show for it.

Also, as an aside, my DS 11 is taking a community college math course for credit, but before we negotiated an agreement between the middle school and the college, he took Fractal Math online, which he enjoyed, and Statistics. Going outside the standard sequence might be enjoyable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM