Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 324 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #57989 10/10/09 04:29 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M

Last edited by master of none; 12/26/13 02:54 PM.
    M
    M
    We were having problems with my DD9's IEP/schedule this year. I just had a meeting with the teacher and the social worker last week. I find that bringing more people into meetings works well, less confrontational(when your asking for things), more team solution/brainstorming orientated. Then I also have another "witness" to our solution/plan. Maybe a meeting with the 504 counselor and the teacher, or another combination?

We also wrote a planner, and help with a daily planner into my DD's IEP (I know they are different but similar idea). That way it is written for her to have help with filling in a daily planner and collecting any associated material, as you mentioned something similar. Ours requires the teachers signature for the day and my signature for the day. smile

I also spoke daily with my DD in the beginning about asking to type when she needs to. We discussed assignments they did and if she felt she should have typed them. So if they are doing something that requires her to type (she has dysgraphia along with her AS) then she needs to raise her hand at the beginning when she hears the assignment and ask, just in case the teacher is busy and misses the need. This has almost eliminated her need to ask now.

We also communicate regualrly by email. Our principal is in the loop, since ours is a different and unique situation within our district.

I don't know if any of that helps! I had emailed the principal about a change in teachers a two or three weeks ago. Now I am glad we waited to discuss it more until after the last meeting. I now think this teacher is beginning to understand my DD better now and will be very good for her this year.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    J
    J
    Hi Master of None,

Have you tried googling RTI and twice exceptional? It is a good read to find out the new protocol schools are adopting.

M
    M
    Please keep us posted on whatever path you take and the outcome. I am reading Smart Kids with Learning Difficulties and my feeling is: a 504 or IEP is great, but only if you get buy in from the teacher...how do you properly monitor?, etc.

Originally Posted by master of none
    I feel like there is no hope with this teacher. I've talked to DS about homeschooling- he doesn't want to because he loves math (different teacher), and orchestra. He is afraid of us making a fuss and switching teachers. So am I.

What about moving him to the same teacher who teaches Math full time? Perhaps you can get a doctor's note to explain why this is nescessary? I don't reccomend putting the academics 'on hold' as this might lead to behavior problems, and isn't going to help your son feel 'seen' and 'worthy.' (IMHO)
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by master of none
    She had told DS she needed to figure out how to use it first.
    OK, seems like the typing is the first thing to tackle. Netbooks are availible around the 400$ mark. Can you get your hands on one? If not, schedule a meeting with the teacher and perhaps also the 504 counselor (or someother classroom teacher in the building who actually uses an alphasmart) to 'introduce' you to the alphasmart. You want to pretend that you want the teacher to teach you how to use it, so that if DS has any questions, you will be able to answer them. Then, while the teacher is 'teaching you' you can gently 'bumble' into 'Oh, this might be the on switch.' Basically, acting like an interested learner is probably the best way to get this teacher over her fear of the hardware. Have her show you how to start it, type something and upload or print. Make sure it all works together. Try to get the meeting to happen within the next 2 weeks.

Document that you have requested this meeting.

Next comes the desk. Just make Friday afternoon 'organization day' and go to school at the end of the school day and do it for your son. Take notes the first time you do it. (Or ask DS to take notes on the Alphasmart - LOL!) Change the notes into a computer printed out step by step chart that can be laminated and taped to the inside of the bottom of the desk. See if an accordian file is needed to keep papers from 'swirling around.' Slowly, change your job from 'doing it' to 'supporting your son to doing it' to 'checking to affirm that he did it.' This is worth taking time off from work if possible, or going in afterwork hours. Last year I got to know the janitorial staff of my son's school quite well from the monthly evening visits. It won't last forever.

As for 'speaking up' - is there a school psychologist who can be involved here? In 6th grade my son was assigned a support person who helped him learn to interact with the teachers in an appropriate way. She did a lot of coaching and it seemed to help. She also fed DS a lot of candy, so he liked her.

If you are sticking with this teacher, I would be sure to send her a love letter every week, saying how much your son enjoyed a particular activity. I'll bet that just a one minute weekly note would go a long way towards making this teacher like you and feel like you are on the same team. You have no idea how little support most people walk around getting. Really. 'I notice you choose to wear a pretty flower pin.' passes for deep recognition in most places. I tend to let perfectionism make me 'just not say anything.' In reality, saying anything is usually amazing. Then - after maybe 6 weeks of 'he sure enjoyed talking about sirrus cloud formations' you can start making requests.

You can see that I'm really 'experienced' with this 'Advocacy' thing. I need to tell you that in the end, none of this was enough to get my son his needed gradeskip, and I ended up sending him to a private school that had a school psychologist who 'got' my son (and probably had a son of her own 'just like him')and they saw the need for the gradeskip within a week. So I joke that I got the gradeskip 'the old fashioned way....I paid for it.'

Remember that you can do everthing right, and still not get what you need, but I totally matter that you tried. Good for you for seeing this as a co-learning opportunity!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM