Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Grinity- you crack me up. My dad thinks just like you and when I complained that DS wasn't getting enough math challenge, he decided to teach him hexadecimal. I had to beg him to stop so as not to mess up DS's first round of school standardized testing! Being a serious perfectionist, I didn't want him searching multiple choice test questions wondering where the trick was!

I swap out my son's homework when it's too easy. I originally emailed the teacher, didn't get a response and just started doing it. So the next week she replied that it was fine to swap :-) She has now switched him from the standard 1st grade work to a 2nd grade workbook for homework, which is still too easy. Sometimes he does the 2nd grade one, sometimes he does something else.

In class, at least so far, he still has to do his 1st grade work. Things like "count the dots- how many?" and fill in the missing number 10 __ 12. He has to finish this then he can go to his "math challenge bucket" which so far, has coloring sheets, mazes and dot to dots in it. Lame but he likes it because it's not more work. When he is done with that, he can read silently.

At home, he just started doing ALEKS and I'll probably print a bunch of their worksheets to send in for his homework. We have conferences in 4 weeks and I plan on talking to his teacher about letting him do ALEKS at least one day a week at school as well.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    At home, he just started doing ALEKS and I'll probably print a bunch of their worksheets to send in for his homework. We have conferences in 4 weeks and I plan on talking to his teacher about letting him do ALEKS at least one day a week at school as well.
    What we did, after discussion with DS's teacher, was to put a plastic folder in DS's school bag which, we make sure, always contains one ALEKS worksheet. His teacher takes it out when she wants him to do it, and when the folder comes home empty that evening, it's my cue to generate and print a new one. I think there are several good things about this system. The sheet he does at school is always recently generated, so its questions are the most relevant; his teacher knows there always is one there, but isn't under pressure to use it on any particular schedule (I trust his teacher's judgement: I suppose with a less trustworthy teacher, some pressure might be a good thing!); and even if DS doesn't talk about it I automatically know how much ALEKS he's doing at school!

Hope the talk goes well.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    What we did, after discussion with DS's teacher, was to put a plastic folder in DS's school bag which, we make sure, always contains one ALEKS worksheet. His teacher takes it out when she wants him to do it, and when the folder comes home empty that evening, it's my cue to generate and print a new one. I think there are several good things about this system. The sheet he does at school is always recently generated, so its questions are the most relevant; his teacher knows there always is one there, but isn't under pressure to use it on any particular schedule (I trust his teacher's judgement: I suppose with a less trustworthy teacher, some pressure might be a good thing!); and even if DS doesn't talk about it I automatically know how much ALEKS he's doing at school!

Hope the talk goes well.

That's a good idea. He has a folder that goes back and forth every day anyway so it wouldn't be any more effort. Thanks!

I
    I
    Parents whose children are being given different assignments may want to read up on "differentiated task demands."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM