Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 50 of 268 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 267 268
    H
    H
    Not much of a brag, but funny nonetheless.

Our DS9mo started daycare last week. His caregiver told us he keeps crawling to the bookshelf to "read" book instead of the toy box.

Last night, DH was using a stuffed animal to tickle DS, DH, and me one at a time. DH and I giggled when the stuffed animal tickled us. When it�s DS� turn to be tickled, he pushed the stuffed animal my way so his dad can tickle me instead of him.

O
    O
    My DS9 yesterday got a new thicker book from the school library.
    He said at least with this book, I won't be done with it the first day. He was done with it the 2nd day. LOL. He said the bigger books are better because he likes more details. I thought that all sounded very mature. How nice he has such appreciation for books.

Ok, my first brag. DS7 who just went back to public school this year. He has been accelerated to thrid grade, and is kind of the new kid. (He did attend this school 1/2 day in K). Normally he is slow to make freinds, and kind of goes with the flow type. He signed up to run for a school leadership position. Postmaster (I have no idea what it means) but he has to run for office in a school wide election (Only thrid graders can run for this position). He had to get 20 signatures supporting this, and will need to make a speach. I thought I had a shy little boy, that found it hard to speak up. Its nice to see him drive this. He went out and found 20 students to sign, many that he didn't know. I can't wait to hear what he wants to speak about. DS17 also has volunteered to help him with the two posters they allow. Its great to see him stepping forward and getting involved.

Last edited by Edwin; 09/24/09 09:20 AM.
    O
    oli Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    Ok, my first brag. DS7 who just went back to public school this year. He has been accelerated to thrid grade, and is kind of the new kid. (He did attend this school 1/2 day in K). Normally he is slow to make freinds, and kind of goes with the flow type. He signed up to run for a school leadership position. Postmaster (I have no idea what it means) but he has to run for office in a school wide election (Only thrid graders can run for this position). He had to get 20 signatures supporting this, and will need to make a speach. I thought I had a shy little boy, that found it hard to speak up. Its nice to see him drive this. He went out and found 20 students to sign, many that he didn't know. I can't wait to hear what he wants to speak about. DS17 also has volunteered to help him with the two posters they allow. Its great to see him stepping forward and getting involved.

That is definitely bragworthy ! Will you update us how he does. It taked so much courage to run from new class and to be younger than others.

J
    J
    Edwin - that's great. In DS5.5's school meeting today, I was in a bit of shock when the asst principal said he was so outgoing and friendly - he's not shy... I wasn't sure we were talkin' about the same boy! LOL.

Good luck to him!

J
    J
    DS received his "can read 200+ sight words" award on day one in 1st grade! Of course, he would've been able to do it day 1 in pre-k, but we're still proud all the same!

A couple of funny conversations we've had recently: I went to check on my ds9 as my dd3 was falling asleep. I whispered to her, 'I'm going to check on ds.' She said, 'Does check on mean 'read to'? Because I don't want you to read to him!'.
    Ack! She is just a little firecracker!

Ds9 read a short bio of Einstein the other day and I guess he's been thinking about it, because he asked, 'What made him a genius? Can anyone be a genius?'. I thought, oh boy, well, I'm glad you asked that question!!!
    It was a great opportunity to talk about having a different kind of brain, but also about working hard to really see what one could do with the gifts one has. I went on at some length and figured I'd probably lost him along the way, but he kept up, asked some follow up questions and sounded really interested. Good thing I've been reading (just a little) on the matter of giftedness!

W
    W
    Earlier today Bear wanted chips and was allowed to have the last of his dad's. He ate some and then said, "I won't eat them all cause if I do daddy will be sad. I would be sad if someone ate all my chips." He went to try to give the rest to dad, but he was told it was ok to eat them. It was so cute. He's only 2.7 and I thought empathy like that didn't kick in till later?

Also due to Wolf, dad and I being tired of doing Starfall for him, this evening I taught Bear how to use the computer mouse so he could do it himself. He gets a bit frustrated because he has trouble moving it slowly, but for the most part he's doing great!!!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Earlier today Bear wanted chips and was allowed to have the last of his dad's. He ate some and then said, "I won't eat them all cause if I do daddy will be sad. I would be sad if someone ate all my chips." He went to try to give the rest to dad, but he was told it was ok to eat them. It was so cute. He's only 2.7 and I thought empathy like that didn't kick in till later?

Also due to Wolf, dad and I being tired of doing Starfall for him, this evening I taught Bear how to use the computer mouse so he could do it himself. He gets a bit frustrated because he has trouble moving it slowly, but for the most part he's doing great!!!

dd is 2.5 and always is telling me things like that. She will tell me that daddy will be sad if she does xxxx and the other day she told him "I'm sorry daddy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings" when she thought she must have. None of her friends are doing that yet, so I think you are right, it typically doesn't start till later.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    O
    O
    Is there an expration date on bragging? I just thought of something fun to share. This started four years ago.

When DD was 2 she would not accept she had a 4head. She said it was a 2 head.
    When she was 3 she would not accept she had a 4head. She said it was a 3 head.
    When she was 4 it was ok to have a forehead and she has been sticking with that story. We just rolled with it. Thinking of this makes me smile.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/06/09 05:15 PM.
    Page 50 of 268 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM