Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    I should have mentioned that my son who just turned 13 is the oldest by age and grade of the group, as we didn�t learn of this organization until after the testing /selection period last year. For this reason, he only attends the logic part of their instruction each week.

The point is that he could/should have done this (eimacs) three years ago (and some kids are doing it at 10yrs) despite it being aimed towards high school and college kids per the website.

L
    L
    Melmichigan,

For graduate work in the sciences, here are the requires from what it was a few years ago when I was looking into several career options:

Social Sciences--usually only statistics, maybe Calc AB at top schools

Physics--usually through multivariable calculus or differential equations, less for geology/meteorology/marine science...

Chemistry--usually through Calc BC

Biology--usually through Calc AB or biological sciences calculus

Engineering--usually through differential equations

Medical School--about half require Calc AB or another math class (counting statistics), top ones (Johns Hopkins, Harvard...) through Calc BC

MD/PhD Programs--usually Calc AB, some through Calc BC (unless the PhD is in epidemiology, math, or engineering, but only a few schools offer that option)

Most careers in the sciences don't require a lot of advanced math unless someone chooses to specialize in data modelling or theoretical science. It can be helpful, though. In my MD/PhD program right now, I'm finding that knowing a lot of advanced math helps in creating new models of biomedical and population-based medicine and in thinking about abstract problems in my field.

I don't think that you have to necessarily go the full-time early college entrance route. The child could attend university for specific classes, in this case higher math. Ania's son is doing this (she posted about it on the college subforum).

Clarification - DS did audit a Calc 1 course over 7 weeks of last summer. He completed pre-calc as an 8th grader and now as a HS freshman he is in AP Calc BC at the HS. Problem will start next year as he will have to take classes for credit at the local U. This is going to be a logistical nightmare as we live 35 miles away from his HS and even further away from the U. Furthermore, my understanding is that as a sophomore he will have to have a full load of classes at the HS, meaning he will be taking math at the U on top of it. Honestly, I am not looking forward to it. Looking back I wish my kid had done number theory or counting/probability in 6 and 7 grades respectively.
    Someone said that it is a good problem to have and those college classes will certainly look good on his college application. i agree, but it still looks nightmarish...
    As for the OP question - please do look at the colleges your kid might be interested in attending. For the very selective colleges four years of math are required, even if you want to study Philosophy at HYP smile Do not limit your choices early on.
    Also, don't understand how Stats is not considered a math subject? What is it then???

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Ania
    Problem will start next year as he will have to take classes for credit at the local U. This is going to be a logistical nightmare as we live 35 miles away from his HS and even further away from the U.
    That is pretty bad.

It is not as easy as it sounds to take classes at junior college or university. Have to be late afternoon or evening class. With all the budget cut and class cancellation, HS students may not even be able to register. My DD was taking 3 classes at a JC in her senior years. There were several days in a week that she left home at 7:00am and came back at 9:00pm after taking 3 JC classes. Then she did her homeworks and other things like college application for 5 more hours. Who said that American kids had it easy. :-)

Then she spent 6 months trying to recover from that semester.

P
    P
    If your kid is capable of taking algebra as a 7th grader I don't think you should encourage him/her to close out the option of more highly selective colleges by not taking calculus in high school. Expectations have changed from when we were in high school. It is now really expected that strong college bound seniors have math beyond algebra II. If you look at the requirement even for less highly ranked colleges you'll find for a lot of majors calculus is a "premajor" requirement. I think you are selling your kid short to try to avoid having them take four years of math in high school.

K
    K
    Ania,
    Your ds may be able to take college classes online from home. Lots of universities/community colleges now offer such classes.

My daughter is in Algebra I in 7th grade for High School credit. This means that this counts as one of her math courses for high school.

She will take Geometry and Algebra II (finishing at end of freshman year) and will satify her requirements.

I do believe that she will take more math courses because she is college bound. She will go through Calc since she will major in science in college.

Statistics is considered math at our community college. She will take College Algreba at at some point in high school. I want her to be very good at higher math since colleges give so much work (I teach at one).

M
    M
    I think I've worked out what auditing is, but can someone please clarify it for me.

Thanks,
    matmum

As in auditing a course? IF so, that's when you sit in on the course but don't take it for a grade.

M
    M
    Yes, thankyou.

Struggling a bit with terminology and school systems, but what a great forum!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM