Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #57088 10/01/09 11:05 AM
    N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Hello everybody again.
    I posted for a first time last year, after we tested my son with WPPSI-III. He scored HG, not enough for Davidson by couple of points. His achievement (WJ) was also there just enough to qualify. So we left it at that.
    However, the tester told me that he missed to answer correctly the very first,easy questions , but kept on going and answered all the rest correctly, I knew he hit ceilings in several areas (19). He is also not to good with timed tests, and fluency hurt his scores in IQ and achievement. I always had the thought about the test not showing his true abilities in mind. He started K in magnet school, with pull out gifted program. So far,he is somewhat happy at school (his first couple of months of school, until now he was home-schooled unschooled (we studied what he was interested in).
    Fast forwarding to this week, DS (5.10)took the SB-V and WIAT II. And wow. His tests results got me floored and the gifted denial, that I worked on the whole last year, is back in it's full strength.
    So finally, after a long intro here is my question: Does anybody has an experience with the extended norms for SB-V?
    My DS had 2x19, and 5x18, and his Full scale is over 150.
    I know, at this point it does not really change anything, it would just be interesting to know. (Maybe it would cure me with a shock shocked )
    Finally, I would like to let anybody, who is still wondering about their kids and it just does not compare with other gifted kids, know: Go with your intuition, you may be surprised.
    (Also somebody was asking about SB-V being useful, I hope I helped to answer that question).

D
    djf Offline
    D
    I've never heard of extended norms for SB-V, only for WISC-IV.
    On the other hand, my DS took the WISC, not the SB, so maybe I'm just uninformed.

S
    S
    Yes I am familiar with extended norms for SB-V through our experience with DS5. I will send you a PM. I think you should certainly be over your GT denial with those scores : )

S
    S
    Just in case others are interested, from what I have heard from my DS5's psych, The criteria is basically if a child's full scale is over 150 and if they got 19 on at least 2 of the subtests then they will do the EXIQ. But they still don't always if they are right on the line and meet that minimum criteria. I would bet that if a child had a 150 and they got 2 19's then their Full scale IQ would be above 150....but how much above I have no idea. That is beyond my area of knowledge.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    (((Finally, I would like to let anybody, who is still wondering about their kids and it just does not compare with other gifted kids, know: Go with your intuition, you may be surprised.)))

We had a similar experience recently. I am really feeling now that you should trust your gut instinct. However, while I DID know that her WPPSI scores were and underestimage, I was sort of floored by her WISC scores.

What I have read/heard about the extended scores for the SB5 is that they are not as well thought of; so there is not a consensus as to whether they mean much.

He did great! Are you preparing your DYS application?

I wish there was an online chart like the WISC-IV has for the extended IQ just because I am curious. DS6 scored 4-19s and 1-18 on various subtests on the SBV. His final report just has a + after his verbal IQ and full-scale IQ score to indicate that he reached the ceiling on subtests that factored into those scores. Our tester even wrote how many raw points DS6 scored about what was required for the 19s. However his FSIQ is not above 150 so I don't think the tester was allowed to calculate the extended IQ's. I'm actually curious if the extended norms would have brought the FSIQ above 150. I know if doesn't matter, but like Dottie, I love numbers. smile

Crisc
    N
    N
    Your testing story sounds nearly identical to ours! Same tests, same issue on the WPPSI, then 6 19's on the SB-V and a near-max FSIQ. Our psych. didn't see the need to do the extended scoring, we were only given the subtest scores so we couldn't do it ourselves, and we couldn't really think of a good reason that we "needed" it enough to press the psych. for the additional data. Combine that with the tiny number of data points that actually constitute the data set for numbers over 145, and we just decided to stick with "scary smart..." wink

N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks everybody for your response.
    I do wish that there would be somewhere a table, to calculate those our selves. I know, it is really unnecessary and unimportant, but same like Crisc, I love numbers.
    I asked our tester about the EXIQ, and she did not even know they exist. I guess, they are not as well knows as WISC's.
    Newtothis, wow. Where you surprised or after knowing, did it all just started to make sense?
    The funny thing is that my DS kind of skewed the perception of "gifted" in our friends and neighborhood. Lot of people considered him gifted from very very young age, and disregarded their children being G. Lot of mom's were like: "If he is doing this, there is no way that my kid could be gifted, smart yes but not gifted."
    After lack of school options they decided to test for gifted anyways, and all of sudden all of these kids were qualifying for gifted school. At which point, it started to puzzle me: if they are gifted also (at 130s-low 140s), where in the spectrum is my DS? And finally I have the answer. It is somewhat a relief, that everything is making more sense now.
    LOL

S
    S
    That's funny Niki, my best friend has a daughter that I have always thought of as bright. But DS was always just so different that he stuck out with the things he was doing way before 2yo. So my best friend got a speech eval done on her daughter and they did the WPPSI as well because I guess they do it all together. Anyhow, she ended up being 130 and she called me about it to ask what that meant. So we were talking about it and I was telling her how her daughter is gifted. She kind of laughed about it....but I was serious.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM