Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We've wondered if ds6 has ADHD due to difficulty paying attention in the classroom. He's also extrememly active. We recently pulled him from a private school, and I'm homeschooling because we thought he was just bored. I did my research, discussed it with the psychologist who did our gifted testing, and noted the similarities in the characteristics between ADHD and gifted students who are unchallenged. Very similar, right? So, I thought I'd work with him at home and see how the behaviors changed, if at all. He's learning a lot more, and he's very interested in what we are doing (pays attention pretty well), but he's in constant motion, stands rather than sits, lays down on the floor...you get the picture. So, now I'm thinking, I know he's gifted, but maybe he also has ADHD. He's definitely not bored when we're working at home. I asked him last night about why he thinks he's always moving, and here's what he said, "If I am still for just a second it feels like I've been still for a long time. I have to move my muscles or else they'll get stiff like when you sit in one position for too long. I can actually listen better if I'm moving. Otherwise, it feels like I'm trying to do two things at one time, like trying to pat your head and rub your belly. If I'm thinking about being still, it's hard to listen to the other things you are saying." I thought that was pretty insightful; I'm no expert on ADHD, but I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions or could share their experience. Thank you.

M
    M
    DS7 thinks better when in motion, too. Frankly, he started moving in utero and has never stopped. (Seriously, it was like having a roller coaster running inside me! *lol*)

During DS's IQ/achievement testing this past summer, the psychologist noted that he frequently was more comfortable answering while walking around. She (the psych) said it did not mean he has ADHD. She also said that she thinks it's unfortunate that teachers force kids to be still in class at this age. She said that some kids just NEED that movement when they're young, and that they end up using more brain power to keep still than they do to learn. Apparently, most people grow out of it, although some still need to have some kind of outlet (e.g., bouncing their legs).

FYI -- I notice that the only time DS is really still is when he's completely engaged in a book. Other than that, it's pacing, sitting upside down on the couch, climbing on the back of a chair, climbing on me... *lol* You get the idea.

Hope this helps.

H
    H
    Hi JenSMP, I think every time I read your posts you are spying on my DS7. LOL

I was just reading about this last night in "The Mislabeled Child" by DRs Eide. Yes this is my Bible. They talk about selective attention on page 208 and 209 as well as sustained attention on p.209. Also in the gifted section starting on p.431 they address this. Reading through it is very, very reassuring. We were told that our DS7 does not have ADHD though he mimics the signs. We were told he has SPD but in the book, they say that "Gifted Children also often are hightly sensitive to environmental, internal, and emotional stimuli and may become overwhelmed by intense or prolonged sensory input." (TMC pg.436) I'm pretty sure that is what our SPD dx states. So does he have SPD, ADHD, or just truly a normal/average Gifted child?????

Last edited by hkc75; 10/01/09 11:36 AM.
    hkc - I'll have to pick up that book. Interesting. Although our DS5 was never diagnosed with ADHD or anything similar, I can see how someone might mistake some of his behaviors/reactions as something other than gifted.

Not so much now, but when he was 3 and 4, he would get so excited about learning something new that he would run the length of the house and back. Now, he does similar running and jumping around when he's listening to books. This irritates me sometimes, and I quiz him to make sure he's listening, and he can usually repeat verbatim what I read. I think he just needs to be active sometimes.

And JenSMP - what incredible self-awareness your DS has to be able to explain that!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/01/09 11:30 AM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    She said that some kids just NEED that movement when they're young, and that they end up using more brain power to keep still than they do to learn. Apparently, most people grow out of it, although some still need to have some kind of outlet (e.g., bouncing their legs).

If ADHD had been such a popular "diagnosis" back when I was in school, I certainly would have been placed on a Ritalin drip.
    (Funny/sadly, though, my "symptoms" were practically non-existent in any of my challenging classes. Hmmm.)

To this day, I drive my family nuts because I have such difficulty just sitting still. My DS is quite similar, and I suspect that he, like me, has a bad case of PBLS.

So far, he's much steadier at school than I was, so I've not worried about the school sending home suggestive ADD/AHDH literature. And, thankfully, his PBLS hasn't been too troublesome at school.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    D
    D
    PBLS=Perpetually Bouncing Legs Syndrome

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by hkc75
    Hi JenSMP, I think every time I read your posts you are spying on my DS7. LOL

I was just reading about this last night in "The Mislabeled Child" by DRs Eide. Yes this is my Bible. They talk about selective attention on page 208 and 209 as well as sustained attention on p.209. Also in the gifted section starting on p.431 they address this. Reading through it is very, very reassuring. We were told that our DS7 does not have ADHD though he mimics the signs. We were told he has SPD but in the book, they say that "Gifted Children also often are hightly sensitive to environmental, internal, and emotional stimuli and may become overwhelmed by intense or prolonged sensory input." (TMC pg.436) I'm pretty sure that is what our SPD dx states. So does he have SPD, ADHD, or just truly a normal/average Gifted child?????

Our son was also diagnosed with SPD!!! LOL We took him to therapy for it, and finally we felt like it was a waste of time. No offense to anyone who has benefited from that therapy! I'm a speech therapist myself and work very closely with occupational therapy. This is just one area where I'm skeptical unless it's severe. Like our pediatrician said, "of course he has mild sensory processing disorder, that's what's called being a 4, 5, & 6 year old!"

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. I'd just hate to overlook some strategy or tretment that my son needs. I don't want to be that parent that sticks my head in the sand, however if he's learning, what differences does it make? What good does it do to add the label?

I agree, Dandy, ds's dad and I both would have been diagnosed with ADHD if it were a common diagnosis back then. I couldn't shut up or sit still, and dh was in another world all the time (bored!). Interestingly, dh was not challenged as a child or teen, and by the time he was ready for college he was convinced that that's what other people did. He didn't have any confidence in his abilities. He didn't even know how bright he was. He met my family who encouraged him to go to college where he was truly challenged. He flourished and eventually got his PhD. He was shocked at how much new information he could absorb at one time. He was like a sponge and couln't learn enough. Read it once, know it forever. Hear it once, know it forever. See it once, it's committed to memory. I'm not like that, but I was definitely not challenged, and by the time I got to college, I didn't know how to study and work at learning. I had to figure that out very late in life. I'm so happy my son is getting the opportunity to be challenged while it's still early. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to try not to worry about this for now. As long as ds is leanrning, I'm happy. And he's very happy!

H
    H
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    PBLS=Perpetually Bouncing Legs Syndrome

This is my brother to a T. He would be sitting at the table with us bouncing his legs, tapping his fingers, whatever, totally absorbed in some thoughts of his own while the rest of us had a conversation. Every once in a while he'd chime in with a remark about a topic we had discussed days ago. We would all look at him like he was from another planet. LOL My dad always said he had been hit one too many times in the head in football. Now of course I see things a little differently.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    This is just one area where I'm skeptical unless it's severe. Like our pediatrician said, "of course he has mild sensory processing disorder, that's what's called being a 4, 5, & 6 year old!"

LOL, I agree. There are instances when it is severe definitely...but I work with 4 and 5 year olds all day in a school and we use sensory stuff with kids all the time because they need it. Almost everyone has some sensory issues and can benefit. If the movement is really a big problem them get a basket of those items that are good for active kids in general. Like those little twisty things you can play with....called "tangles" I think. And other things like that. I have a basket of these items in my office. Some kids (and adults) just focus better when moving.

It could be ADHD or maybe not. I am not a fan of labelling unless it is going to help with treatment and services. If he is just moving a lot and still able to focus and concentrate and you are willing to homeschool then I don't see the big issue. If he is not growing out of it as he gets older and it is becoming a problem then that is different and you can pursue it. His description is incredible. I have never heard a child describe something like that. I have had some adults with ADHD describe a similar feeling...but usually included with it is the difficulty focusing and paying attention and having to work really hard at it, and having a million thoughts in there head and being unable to sort it out. that is different than his description.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM