Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #56576 09/24/09 07:02 PM
    B
    Barbara Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    What would be a really high lexile score for a 9 year old? Just curious...

T
    T
    I've been trying to figure that out myself--seems everyone is so afraid of suggesting that a child is outside the norms that it's impossible to know what "really outside the norm" looks like. I can tell you that the highest score I've *personally* seen for a nine year old is 1350, but my exposure is limited. I know that that score for a fifth grader is at/above the 99th percentile, as are the slightly lower scores of 1299 and 1325, so I guess that that would qualify for really high for a nine year old too...

O
    O
    what is a lexile score?

I thought I saw this on library book info. by reading levels.

My DD at age nine had a lexile range of 1383-1533.
    Her MAP reading scores are higher than 12th graders.

From the Web site www.Lexile.com:

A Lexile measure is a valuable piece of information about either a person's reading ability or a text's difficulty. It is shown as a number with an L after it � 880L is 880 Lexile.

�A student gets his or her Lexile reader measure from a reading test or reading program score. For example, if a student receives an 880L on her end-of-grade reading test, she is an 880 Lexile reader. Higher Lexile numbers represent a higher level of reading ability. A Lexile reader measure is reported in intervals of 5L (Lexile), from a low of 5L to a high of 2000L. Readers who score at or below 200L receive a score of BR for Beginning Reader.
    �A book, article or piece of text gets a Lexile text measure when it's analyzed here at MetaMetrics. For example, the first "Harry Potter" book measures 880L, so it's called an 880 Lexile book. A Lexile measure does not address the content or quality of the text. A Lexile text measure is based on two strong predictors of how difficult a text is to comprehend: word frequency and sentence length. Many other factors affect the relationship between a reader and a book, including its content, the age and interests of the reader, and the design of the actual book. The Lexile measure is a good starting point in the book-selection process, but these other factors should be considered when making a decision about which book to choose.
    The idea behind The Lexile Framework for Reading is simple: if we know how well an individual student can read, and we know how hard a specific book is, we can predict how well the student will understand the book.

Last edited by marieg; 09/28/09 05:17 PM.
    C
    C
    There are a lot of different charts that give you an idea of the expected Lexile ranges for each grade. One such chart: http://www.neisd.net/read/tech_tools/database_training/lexile_chart.pdf They aren't all *exactly* the same, but this should give you a general range.

Assuming that a 9 y/o would, on average, be a 4th grader, you can assume that the average (reading right at grade level) 9 y/o would have a lexile around 700-800 or so.

Dd#1, who has always been a strong reader, had a lexile of 1250ish at 9 and 1468 at 10. Both placed her at or above the 99th percentile for grade level. She was in 4th grade at 9 and 6th grade at 10 (having skipped 5th).

K
    kej Offline
    K
    hi, I just joined this forum to answer similar questions of my own. My dd, age 10, scored a 1455. Her 9 year old score was 1285. She's a good reader but seriously, no way does she want to read the kinds of books lexile.com lists as a 1400+ book. I am taking the score with a lot of skepticism.

D
    D
    http://www.lexile.com/about-lexile/grade-equivalent/grade-equivalent-chart/

They do acknowledge the whole Can Read != Should Read thing here as well:
    Although a student may be an excellent reader, it is incorrect to assume that he or she will comprehend text typically found at (and intended for) a higher grade level. A high Lexile measure for a student in one grade indicates that the student can read grade-level-appropriate materials at a very high comprehension rate. The student may not have the background knowledge or maturity to understand material written for an older audience. It is always necessary to preview materials prior to selecting them for a student.
    We've always had to discount the novelty of DS's "reading level" test results, but instead use his "actual" reading levels as a progress chart to keep him moving forward.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by kej
    hi, I just joined this forum to answer similar questions of my own. My dd, age 10, scored a 1455. Her 9 year old score was 1285. She's a good reader but seriously, no way does she want to read the kinds of books lexile.com lists as a 1400+ book. I am taking the score with a lot of skepticism.
    Yeah, I am not sure how accurate of an assessment lexile is if you are looking to determine reading comprehension or reading interest regarding higher level material. Dd#1's school has moved away from it as a reading assessment tool this year and is using something else. She's a middle schooler. Dd#2's elementary still uses it, though.

For dd#1, her lexile scores have been pretty accurate for her reading comprehension and sometimes interest; for dd#2, not so much so. Dd#2, like everything else she is tested on, fluctuates wildly on lexile tests. I really am not sure what her reading comprehension level is and she doesn't really like to read all that much although she is liking manga books as of late, which is nice.

Dd#1, whose lexile scores have been nearly identical to your dd's at the same age, was reading Stanley Milgram's Obedience to Authority at age 8, the unabridged The Call of the Wild the same year, etc. She loves reading, regularly reads adult books and has for some time. Perhaps she would understand them at a deeper level if she was older, but she seems to be comprehending well enough for them to hold her interest and for her to get the story line out of them.

Originally Posted by kej

I think this is where interest in and ability to diverge. I understand completely what you mean. In our case, our DD10 is only interested in very complicated texts for nonfiction and fantasy for fiction. She routinely reads Time, Scientific American, political essays, the history of psychoanalysis etc. I am amazed at what she reads and particularly the speed in which she reads them. I think a very high lexile allows this, IF the child finds the topics of interest.

O
    O
    Porcupine Named Fluffy, A Lester, Helen 2.4,

My DD6 in 1st Grade just took her 1 AR test on the above book scoring 100%. We had borrowed this book from the library several times before she ever tried to read it so that did make it easier. There were probably 6 words in the book I helped her with but I think she could understand the story even without my help. She has read some books for 3rd Graders but I'm not sure about comprehension or amount of words that were too hard.

Any suggestions to test myDD6's reading level? Hopefully with out a expense. When children are tested in 1st Grade for reading level is their a ceiling to the test?

I'm starting to wonder if she is gifted too. Oh boy, here we go again. She was complain she has to wait for everyone to do the math page just like her brother(borderline DYS)did in 1st. I suspect she could easily be moved to 2nd Grade. At this point I'm against full grade acceleration with my kids but not against her going to other grades for a few classes.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/30/09 05:50 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM