Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    I also thought it was a great article and thank you for posting it here. Now that I'm teaching my young children math, I'm finding all these areas where my math education was lacking. It surprised me because I always took the highest level classes and have a degree in engineering. Then I read things like the Number Devil, Singapore Intensive Practice, Life of Fred, etc. and think "how did I get through school without being learning some of these things?"
    --Poster child for the Calculus Trap grin

Inky - I also find that at times, about once per year, DS goes about as dull as a nail...I think his neurons undergo reorganization in preparation for a big leap. I think we're in one of those periods lol. Oddly, my DS6 is also going through the same thing...maybe something in the water! Over a year ago, I'd give him 8+7 and he'd say, "well 5+5+3+2 so 10+5, 15!" now it's like "uh uh 8+7." Based on a conversation he had with DS9 in the car yesterday, he is undergoing a shift in thinking similar to DS9. DS6 said, "Everything at school was too easy, now (1st year HSing) it's hard." Last week he attended an archeology lecture w/ DS9 on the Ancient Aztecs and confessed he only understood parts of it. The class is taught to a high level and I was pleased at punch that he took home SOOOO much from it but he felt like he didn't understand much.

But yes I do need to re-read DMT!

J
    J
    Wow! Great article! It addressed exactly what I was worried about, but I just didn't know how to put it into words. I will look into all your recommendations. I appreciate it very much!

BTW, does your son belong to a math club or have any same-age math peers? If so, how did you locate them?

You're welcome.

No, I haven't found a math club for him, but he wants me to either find or start one for him. I was thinking/researching/planning it but I had to put it off because I just had a baby and have been trying to figure out life homeschooling with a toddler and a newborn. I should probably get back on it now that we are several weeks into school and it is working out ok.

J
    J
    I found "math circle" information here:

http://www.mathcircles.org/

Math circles are a kind of math club. We found one near us that we'll be trying out this year. They put the kids into groups (4:1 student:teacher ratio) based on ability rather than age. The one by us says they do logic and reasoning games, puzzles, and word problems. It's all activity and group based; not a lot of worksheets. DS is excited.

Thought I'd pass the link on in case it helps anyone else looking for a math "club". There's information for starting your own on the website, too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM