Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Welp, we had our meeting with the school this morning to find out DS5.5's results. When they said a "school" meeting, they meant it. DS's K teacher, a 1st grade teacher, a counselor, the gifted/Target teacher (who tested DS) AND the asst principal were all there.

I was extremely pleased at the feedback they gave on things like behavior and maturity, etc... things that are not quantitatively measured - a true sign that he is totally different with Mom around!!! They had several test results (all of which I have forgotten due to my nervous excitement - other than the WPPSI-III).

Verbal - 129 (Range 121-134)
    Information - 14/19
    Vocabulary - 14/19
    Word Reasoning - 16/10

Performance - 131 (Range 122-136)
    Block Design - 15/19
    Matrix Reasoning - 14/19
    Picture Concepts - 16/19

Processing Speed - 122 (Range 111-128)
    Coding - 13/19
    Symbol Search - 15/19

Full Scale - 132 (Range 126-136) = Very Superior

I'm still not 100% sure what the individual numbers mean (Dottie??), but I know that the full scale is well above my expectations. I think I'm still in a bit of "shock" to be honest.

DS also took another reading "level" test (not sure of name - waiting for gifted teacher to get back to me) and scored a 30. She stated that she isn't sure of the actual levels, but thinks that 1st grade is a 24. Edited: He took the DRA. He scored a 30, which is beginning 3rd grade level. smile

The BIG surprise was his 2nd grade testing results. He had to test at the end of 2nd grade - the SAT-P1?? While his reading, Language & Listening were average for 2nd grade, his math was at a 75%tile! That just blew me away since he just recently went on a math tear - like within the last 6 months or so. His Environment (Science) was low, which was a concern, but he also has never been "taught" science, other than the random things that DH and I have done with him.

The best part was the excitement from all the school professionals involved in getting DS whole grade accelerated! Not only that, but the gifted teacher was already talking about the Target pullout class - said he barely missed going now, but thinks it's good to wait until January when the other 1st graders test (right now she only has 2nd grade and above). We agreed to take one step at a time. She said not to be surprised come November to receive a letter that requests permission to have him in the pullout gifted class as opposed to the consent to test him for it.

I'm still a ball of nerves and don't know what half of everything really means, but it's been a HUGE weight off my shoulders to know where he is and to know that he has a bigger support team - besides the one at home!

Last edited by JJsMom; 09/24/09 09:04 AM. Reason: to add DRA score.
    I am so glad that your meeting went well and your DS got the skip to 1st grade. His scores seem solidly gifted. I hope that the school continues to work with your and meet your son's chaning needs. I love it when I hear a great advocacy story! smile

Crisc
    I
    I
    Thanks for sharing the good news. I'm always glad to hear a good advocacy story too!

WOW! Sounds like a great meeting! I'm so happy the school is so receptive to working with you.

Congrats on some great advocating!

Dazey

Yippee! The school sounds very responsive.
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    That's really great! Your son's school sounds wonderful!

S
    S
    That is so awesome! Sounds like a great start, I hope things continue to go great!

M
    M
    Wow! Great results. Just for you info, a DRA score of 24 is not 1st grade, it is 2nd grade 4th month. So a score of 30 is 3rd grade 0 months (beginning third grade). Ending first grade level is typically an 18, which is 1st grade 8th month. A score of 30 is very impressive. We give the DRA (I teach first grade) and even my most advanced student did not score above a 28 at the end of first grade. The writing, comprehension, and inferential skills required to obtain that score as a 5 year old are incredible!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks y'all and mom2boys - wow! Thanks for the info. WTG to my DS! smile smile Now I just hope the support continues!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM