Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 54 of 76 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 75 76
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I'm so, so close to pulling him out of school. I don't want to but I feel like I might not have any other choice.
    Sounds like it's time to go above the principal's level. I would contact the superintendent's office. Hope you get a better response from the district level.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    She did not get to take the test at all - yet. They called my daughter to come get her. My daughter was on her way to teach a class and asked me to pick her up. GD was very upset that she couldn't go back to her class. The school said GD could not come back to school until the school finished their testing (2 days) in case she got upset again. We didn't find out until later why she got upset.

Her teacher said she would ask that she take the test in her room later but doesn't think they will let her. Only good thing is, one of her friends was absent and will also have to take test later. Her teacher hopes it will help if they go together. This is a simple screening test to see who should take the Stanford test early next year. Her teacher says she should ace this one IF she will let someone else give it to her. All of this would have been avoided if she had been left in her classroom to take it!

My daughter has had conferences with the teacher and the counselor previously. The counselor only wanted to put GD on a behavior plan and do nothing to address her boredom. Part of the behavior plan is that if GD does not comply after one warning, she be sent to office to do her work. After the incident on test day (GD did get out of control, throwing papers and hitting out in office - which is not usual), the principal asked for a meeting. My daughter met with the principal and 2 asst. principals last week. My daughter tried to explain GD's high intensity, sensitivity, etc. and how far she has come with these issues. Tantrums had virtually disappeared at home and she has become much more cooperative. Since the first weeks of school, we have started noticing some behavior problems (mostly anger) coming home again. Basically, the school said they are not set up to "hold her hand" or accommodate her when she is afraid of something (such as skeletons in gym) and she just needs to get over it. SHE'S 5 years old! Food is an issue with her control issues but they need a doctor's note to give her snacks through the clinic. GD says she refused to go to the clinic even if she's sick. This is because she got a Very Bad stomach-ache at school earlier this year. The AP took her to the clinic but told nurse GD was prone to being dramatic. So GD writhed in paid for at least 30 minutes before they called to come get her. GD ended up in emergency room with IV & dr. thought appendicitis until she finally (after 4 hours) started throwing up). The school still defended the handling of this situation.

Sorry - too much info again. Anyway, they want the school psychologist to meet with GD - my daughter said she would have to meet with her first to see what her approach would be.

In the meantime, daughter is meeting with a Play Therapist recommended to her by a friend this Thursday am. We'll see if she thinks she can help GD get her emotional reactions back in control. We are so upset that all the progress GD has made with her emotions has been all but lost.

Anyway, your story was the one that made me decide to post at all. I just really wanted to offer my support. I promise to cut down the length of my posts - this is just my first opportunity to "get it all out".

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    That seems like an extremely long time to get a meeting with the principal. I agree with the suggestion of putting requests in writing. This would give you a paper trail if you have to go further up.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    GD is not getting anything different in class although her teacher has talked about having some additional (not more challenging) worksheets available for her since she finishes her work and gets bored waiting on the other kids. I don't know how much flexibility she has and the admin. won't even talk about it.

10/20/09 - went in to talk to principal but was told that she wasn't in
    10/21/09 - called for principal and left a message
    10/22/09 - called for principal and was told that I could talk to the teacher about what I needed, was told principal was out sick and didn't get to leave a message, went in that afternoon to check DS out and she was there
    10/28/09 - called for principal and was told that she was in a meeting - left a message
    10/28/09 - principal called me back and said she was going to meet with her team and observe Isaac to see what the best course of action is, said to give her until Monday to let me know something
    11/4 - called school to talk to principal and was told that she'll be out of state for the rest of the week
    11/9 - called for principal and left a message. Was told that she won't be back until Wednesday

Ug!
    My son's elementary school principle was hard to reach by phone, but terrific with email. What has happened when you try to email her directly?

I guess it's worth an email today (incase they are lying about the out of state till Wednesday thing) and a phone call tommorrow, with a 'I'm getting in touch with you after Monday, as you requested, my son is still in distress, so of course I'm interested in hearing how your meeting with his teachers went.'

And yeah, if no contact by Wednesday night, I would send another letter and CC the next higher up, summarizing what has transpired so far, including the dates of attempted contact. Snail mail or email? Not sure - sometimes it's worth wasting another week with trying email, but nothing says:'I'm Serious' like Snail Mail!

Love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    You don't have to have short posts! Have you looked into the gifted laws for your state? I hate that they're treating her like this! She wouldn't even be able to test for gifted until next year?

J
    J
    Unfortunately I can not find an email address for her. The teachers don't have email addresses either. I might try to go in tomorrow if work allows and see if she's in.

If I don't talk to her I guess I'll have to mail her and a member of the school board a letter.

J
    J
    Oh and the Monday that she was talking about was last Monday. She told me she'd get in touch with me for sure by then. A week and a half later still nothing. I wish I could say that I was surprised smile

Oh and the Monday that she was talking about was last Monday. She told me she'd get in touch with me for sure by then. A week and a half later still nothing. I wish I could say that I was surprised smile
    YES, it is definitly time to go up the food chain! Snail Mail with CC's to those above. I'm hoping you'll have the fun of watching things 'snap too' once they realize you are willing to stand up.
    Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    My understanding is that the Stanford test is in January or February. So I would bet that they don't put anything into practice until 1st grade. And unfortunately, teachers my daughter knows say that the school districts in our area mostly just give more work to GT kids - more projects etc. So we're not sure how much the program will benefit her if she does get in.

Page 54 of 76 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM