Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 33 of 76 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 75 76
    J
    J
    I wrote the teacher a note this morning and asked for a meeting to discuss my DSs behavior. She wrote me back and said she wants to meet Monday afternoon and that his gifted teacher also wants to be at the meeting. She wants me to bring in all of his test results and his IEP. I didn't bring up academics so I'm not sure why she wants this and I'm not even sure what we'll be discussing. I'm so nervous!

I
    I
    Jamie B - at least you got a prompt response and she seems interested. I'd take those to be good signs...

shellymos - I'm sorry to hear that you left your meeting feeling discouraged. I would be, too, if I heard some of those comments. But with later reflection, do you think maybe those few statements clouded the whole meeting for you? It did sound like some of the ideas were positive ones...

JJsMom -- Good luck telling your son! It sounds like you guys really have a good thing going.

Sending you all tons of positive vibes!!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I wrote the teacher a note this morning and asked for a meeting to discuss my DSs behavior. She wrote me back and said she wants to meet Monday afternoon and that his gifted teacher also wants to be at the meeting. She wants me to bring in all of his test results and his IEP. I didn't bring up academics so I'm not sure why she wants this and I'm not even sure what we'll be discussing. I'm so nervous!

I think that's incredibly encouraging.

S
    S
    Thanks for all your good feedback!
    Yes Irisheyes....after coming down from all the negative comments, I did realize that there were some good things said and was planning to send out an email to the school to thank them and kind of reiterate my interpretation of the plan as they didn't really wrap it up at all. And no Grinity that is not at all degrading to me, it's good practice. These people watch my son all day and they can make it a good day or a bad day. And they did ask for resources and ideas, which made me feel good. I plan on sending them some resources. I was wondering if he could even do that time4learning things that others have talked about on this site. I think they would allow that. I want to send out a reminder also because today he had a really rough day and apparently they did nothing new or different for him. Hopefully tomorrow they can start.

JJ'smom - yay for DS going to first! Hope it is a good transition, hopefully he will be happy about this new change.

jamieB - Good luck at this meeting, whatever it is about. Probably like my situation, his behaviors prompted a quicker meeting. Sometimes that can be a good thing if they are willing to work with you and meet his needs!

J
    J
    shellymos - I think it's great that they asked for resources. That seems to me that at least they're willing to consider changing things up for him.

shellymos - I think that's good that they are asking for resources too, even though at first it seemed like a crummy meeting. (How can a 5yo choose to be bored? Ugh. Ask the teacher if they choose to go to the "new teacher" training seminar for their continuing education.) I remember coming back from our meeting with the school, and the things that stuck out the most were the negatives, but then I think maybe we're just on hyper alert to those. I hope that they listen.

Jjsmom- Sounds good! Good luck!

JamieB - Good luck at the meeting. I think it's a good sign that they want to meet with you sooner rather than later. At least they notice something.

M
    M
    JamieB - good luck with your meeting! I would be nervous too, but likes others said, this could be a good sign.

J
    J
    DSs gifted teacher called me today. She said she can't make the meeting on Monday but really wanted to talk to me. She said that she's been teaching gifted for over 30 years and has seen many gifted kids and that his problems with focusing are very troublesome. She said that she can't tell me to take him to a doctor but that if she were me she would. She didn't mention him jumping around and stuff like his teacher though. She said that the slightest thing makes him completely lose his train of thought. She said they were coloring a whale today and he had to get up three times to walk around so that he could focus again.

I think that I'll take him to another doctor. His pedi saw him but doesn't specialize in that so I guess I need another opinion. I've noticed it at home and I thought it was bad but he's my only child so I didn't have any other kid to compare it to.

The one problem is that his dad (who I am no longer married to) is against any kind of doctor visit about his behavior. Originally he was mad that I even got him tested for gifted because he just wants him to be a "normal" child. He doesn't even want to meet the teacher about his behavior because he thinks that it's something that DS will just grow out of. I know that if I tell him that I talked to the gifted teacher and what she said he's going to flip out.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I hope you find a good doc to take him too. The GOOD thing is if it is something like ADHD, he will have that added to an IEP!

And bummer about his dad. I can't imagine DH being against, if nothing else, finding out what is right and what is wrong. What if it was a physical issue like a million ear infections or brusing easily or what have you?

((HUGS))

J
    J
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    I hope you find a good doc to take him too. The GOOD thing is if it is something like ADHD, he will have that added to an IEP!

And bummer about his dad. I can't imagine DH being against, if nothing else, finding out what is right and what is wrong. What if it was a physical issue like a million ear infections or brusing easily or what have you?

((HUGS))
    I don't understand it either. I'm just going to do what I think is best and hope that in the end he agrees.

And that is good about adding it to the IEP. And they will make accommodations, right?

Page 33 of 76 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM