Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 30 of 76 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 75 76
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Kareninminn
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I'm so glad to hear some of our kindergarteners are doing so well.

I'm feeling frustrated and have to remind myself this is only the second full week. As far as I can tell the teacher is unaware that he can read let alone that he can read at a much higher level. There was a fun event last week and when we went to play bingo she commented how it would be good practice for letters and numbers. I was rather shocked especially since this is the same teacher that I spoke with about his reading long before we enrolled in the school. I'm hoping it was just an auto response after a long week. The reason I chose the school and went with the all day program is because I believed they could differientiate, now I'm not so sure.

He has the NWEA testing this week and conferences not long after so I'm hoping to see how that goes and to learn something soon. He also does well at math although he's not as far ahead. I was also disappointed to learn there's no real science in kindergarten, this is my kid who loves science.

I do want to see what they say, my hope is that he can just skip kidnergarten reading and go to science in another grade. I feel at a total loss especially since I don't have an assessment, just my observations. DS loves school, like another posted mentioned he'll happily sit there and relearn something he's known for years. He has a hard time challenging himself, he always says he's not good at something, he gets frustrated with the learning stage.
    Would the school board test him for gifted now?

I don't know if they'll test under any circumstance. It's a small charter and I don't know if they can. I'm considering private pay but would rather not go out of pocket for the first round. I could pull him and put him in the local public but I wasn't thrilled with what they did either, it's why I decided to try someplace like this.

It is possible they'll be able to handle it, I am impatient, it has been a worry for a long time and I want to get him in a position where he'll start to challenge himself.
    My son was at a private school when the school board tested him. The private school wasn't able to test him on their own.

S
    S
    Well last week was a bad week. Bad, bad, bad. We got notes sent home every single day.

I do think that DS might have a touch of ADD but I'm still not sure. I attribute a lot of it to him being bored and to his mind running so fast with nothing to focus it on. I think that if he had more challenging work his brain would at least have something to focus on.

sorry Jamie! DS5 had a really rough week last week too. Friday was better and yesterday was even better so I would like to think that he is getting more used to the routine and is going to start following directions better. He tells me he is going to have a perfect day today. Who knows. He was excited in talking about school a lot yesterday. He did start getting ridiculous homework last night. We need to discuss this at his meeting. It is hard because I don't want him to be separated too much from the other kids...but do I allow him to do his 3 letter spelling words just because they are easy and he won't even have to look at them? I figured that writing his spelling words 3 times each at least gives him writing practice. Anyhow, I am hoping for a better week, and I am hoping that before this meeting he shows his teacher that he does know how to behave.

About what you said about the ADHD, there can be characteristics and your DS could have it...but I think it is really important to look at the distinguishing differences between ADHD and a child that is gifted that is just bored and acting out. I am absolutely sure my DS does not have ADHD...but I have seen times and circumstances where one could think he has ADHD. And he has definitely done ridiculous things that are impulsive at times (again mostly when bored). But these behaviors he as do occur at times where he is not stimulated. He doesn't get distracted easily when he is focused on things that are challenging. He does sit for long periods of times engaged in activities. He isn't generally hyperactive or impulsive, although he is 5 and gets silly sometimes. I would check out that book...I think it is called misdiagnosis of the gifted child or something. I used to have it but I lent it to someone and it is now gone. It is a good book and helps to see the difference between characteristics of something and an actual diagnosis. There is a big difference and it would be helpful for you know in order to best meet his needs. : )

J
    J
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    Well last week was a bad week. Bad, bad, bad. We got notes sent home every single day.

I do think that DS might have a touch of ADD but I'm still not sure. I attribute a lot of it to him being bored and to his mind running so fast with nothing to focus it on. I think that if he had more challenging work his brain would at least have something to focus on.

sorry Jamie! DS5 had a really rough week last week too. Friday was better and yesterday was even better so I would like to think that he is getting more used to the routine and is going to start following directions better. He tells me he is going to have a perfect day today. Who knows. He was excited in talking about school a lot yesterday. He did start getting ridiculous homework last night. We need to discuss this at his meeting. It is hard because I don't want him to be separated too much from the other kids...but do I allow him to do his 3 letter spelling words just because they are easy and he won't even have to look at them? I figured that writing his spelling words 3 times each at least gives him writing practice. Anyhow, I am hoping for a better week, and I am hoping that before this meeting he shows his teacher that he does know how to behave.

About what you said about the ADHD, there can be characteristics and your DS could have it...but I think it is really important to look at the distinguishing differences between ADHD and a child that is gifted that is just bored and acting out. I am absolutely sure my DS does not have ADHD...but I have seen times and circumstances where one could think he has ADHD. And he has definitely done ridiculous things that are impulsive at times (again mostly when bored). But these behaviors he as do occur at times where he is not stimulated. He doesn't get distracted easily when he is focused on things that are challenging. He does sit for long periods of times engaged in activities. He isn't generally hyperactive or impulsive, although he is 5 and gets silly sometimes. I would check out that book...I think it is called misdiagnosis of the gifted child or something. I used to have it but I lent it to someone and it is now gone. It is a good book and helps to see the difference between characteristics of something and an actual diagnosis. There is a big difference and it would be helpful for you know in order to best meet his needs. : )
    Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look for it online. I feel like Isaac's behaviors happen when he's not stimulated as well.

I don't know about homework? So far all we've had is writing his name three times, telling which group has more and tracing the letter A. He does all of his homework just to practice his writing too. Then after that if he asks for harder worksheets I find some here to give him.

When is your meeting?

Here's a bit of nice news. We have a school nearby our house that was closed several years ago. We were walking by it and I said, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could go to school here, since it's so close?" DS5 said, "Yes, but only if Mrs. X would still be my teacher."

I'm so happy he likes his teacher. smile

We are still avoiding asking DS if he learned anything at school... I think we'll probably skip that question this year.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Here's a bit of nice news. We have a school nearby our house that was closed several years ago. We were walking by it and I said, "Wouldn't it be nice if you could go to school here, since it's so close?" DS5 said, "Yes, but only if Mrs. X would still be my teacher."

We are still avoiding asking DS if he learned anything at school... I think we'll probably skip that question this year.
    That must make you feel good knowing that he likes his teacher!

S
    S
    When is your meeting?

Thursday morning. Tomorrow afternoon I am taking DS to meet with the psychologist that tested him. She wants to hear how things are going and see how he is doing so that she can advocate with us as well. She is also going to the meeting on Thursday.
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    "Wouldn't it be nice if you could go to school here, since it's so close?" DS5 said, "Yes, but only if Mrs. X would still be my teacher."

That is a really good sign. I am also excited that DS5 seems interested in things that he completely already gets. Like his teacher decided that the kids are going to wear a color a day for 2 WEEKS! It is annoying the heck out of me and can't see how she thought that was a good idea...but he gets excited waking up and he has already memorized the schedule of what dates = which colors. Whatever works I guess. We also have not asked about learning anything. We ask if anything exciting happened, if anything silly happened, what was the best part of the day, what was the worst part. he usually says "there wasn't any worst part it was all good." He is a glass half full kind of kid, which is very good.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    I am also excited that DS5 seems interested in things that he completely already gets. Like his teacher decided that the kids are going to wear a color a day for 2 WEEKS! It is annoying the heck out of me and can't see how she thought that was a good idea...but he gets excited waking up and he has already memorized the schedule of what dates = which colors. Whatever works I guess. We also have not asked about learning anything. We ask if anything exciting happened, if anything silly happened, what was the best part of the day, what was the worst part. he usually says "there wasn't any worst part it was all good." He is a glass half full kind of kid, which is very good.

That's so good that your DS is still having a positive experience, especially with some of his bad days. There is hope! And that is so wonderful that you will have the support of your psych at the meeting.

M
    M
    Just catching up here...

SPG - so glad your son likes his teacher. That's great!

shellymos - good luck with your meeting with your psychologist (advocate) and also with your meeting on Thursday morning at school.

JamieB - so sorry you had a bad week. We're there too, so I feel for you.

I think I jinxed myself when I posted after the third day of school that my son loves it. Seems his behavior has been going downhill.... disruptive, not following the rules, talking out of turn, etc., etc., etc. I know there are parts of his day that he is probably bored, but they are subject-accelerating him in reading and math, providing extra enrichment in reading, and in fact they realize where he is at math is too easy for him, so they are trying to figure out where to place him next. So, it's not that they aren't trying, in fact, I've been very happy with their efforts. When they tell me that they want him to be challenged and actually learn something, I do believe that they get it. But his behavior now is really starting to cause a problem. This roller coaster ride is killing me!

K
    K
    [quote=Jamie B] [quote=Kareninminn]
    My son was at a private school when the school board tested him. The private school wasn't able to test him on their own.

I'll have to check into that, I didn't think they would.

I did talk to a teacher about him a bit today and feel a bit better that they can work with him. He did well on his math assessment and she said they will teach him at his level so I'm encouraged. He is having some behavior issues and I don't think it's boredom, I'm hoping that doesn't make things harder.

You're right, m2gts, it's a roller coaster ride.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by m2gts
    Just catching up here...

SPG - so glad your son likes his teacher. That's great!

shellymos - good luck with your meeting with your psychologist (advocate) and also with your meeting on Thursday morning at school.

JamieB - so sorry you had a bad week. We're there too, so I feel for you.

I think I jinxed myself when I posted after the third day of school that my son loves it. Seems his behavior has been going downhill.... disruptive, not following the rules, talking out of turn, etc., etc., etc. I know there are parts of his day that he is probably bored, but they are subject-accelerating him in reading and math, providing extra enrichment in reading, and in fact they realize where he is at math is too easy for him, so they are trying to figure out where to place him next. So, it's not that they aren't trying, in fact, I've been very happy with their efforts. When they tell me that they want him to be challenged and actually learn something, I do believe that they get it. But his behavior now is really starting to cause a problem. This roller coaster ride is killing me!
    What have they said about his behavior?

Page 30 of 76 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM