Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 76 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 75 76
    M
    M
    Two school meetings to report:

First one was yesterday, not really a meeting, but DS and I went to the open house at school, so he met his teacher and saw his classroom. He was more than happy to play with magnets she had (creating various tetrahedrons and other odd shapes). smile It was really chaotic, however, because all the parents were coming in at the same time, so we left. DS seemed to like the classroom and the teacher, so, good start so far...

Second meeting was this morning, I met with 2 teachers, the principal and asst. principal. The goal of the meeting was to go over the plan they had come up with for my son. I am so happy, so blessed, to say that the meeting went very well! smile The plan they came up with is a starting point, and they say it will evolve as they get to know my son. For reading, they will be grouping him with several other children who also happen to be reading in his Kindergarten class. For math, they will be starting him off in 3rd grade, and he will actually go to the 3rd grade classroom for instruction. They will also add some of the GT curriculum enrichment activities to his schedule once he's been there for a while and they figure out the best place to put it in his schedule. Again, I can't believe how willing and flexible they seem to be - it's night and day compared to our school experience last year. They'll also be keeping a close eye on his social/emotional behavior, which is fine with DH and me. So all in all, really good news on our front, and hoping that it continues to be good when DS starts school next week. (After last year, we could use a better year!)

Now if I can just get through the first day and the fact that DS will be riding on the bus.....

M
    M
    m2gts: All that sounds great. So glad for you that the year is starting off with such promise.

We met teachers yesterday. All went remarkably better than I could have imagined. DS5's K teacher was brought down from 3rd grade. The classroom is kinda stark, with not a lot of toys for down time; and the books are things he's already read, but I'm sure that once he actually reads to her, she'll be able to pull from her stash of books that she had for her older students. And a staffer friend inside the school thinks highly of her. DS5 was extremely timid in the classroom and really everywhere except the library where I showed him where to find his favorite books and in DS7's second grade classroom (I'm fairly certain he wishes he were in 2nd grade and not K!) I did manage to hold my tongue when she showed him the letter box where they'll be learning their letter sounds. I figure she'll know soon enough that he's well beyond that!

To top all that off, DS7's teacher came from a highly gifted center in another state. Two of his best friends from last year are still in his class, and the bully he's afraid of is not. ... BIG sigh of relief

Originally Posted by m2gts
    I am so happy, so blessed, to say that the meeting went very well! smile The plan they came up with is a starting point, and they say it will evolve as they get to know my son. For reading, they will be grouping him with several other children who also happen to be reading in his Kindergarten class. For math, they will be starting him off in 3rd grade, and he will actually go to the 3rd grade classroom for instruction.

This sounds wonderful! Enjoy!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    DS5's K teacher was brought down from 3rd grade.

To top all that off, DS7's teacher came from a highly gifted center in another state.

Two of his best friends from last year are still in his class, and the bully he's afraid of is not. ... BIG sigh of relief

3 Cheers!!! In a way, I think having a teacher who is used to 3rd graders could work out wonderfully. At the very least, she is unlikely to talk 'quite so far' down to the Ks.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    mom2twoboys: Looks like your kids' school year is getting off to a good start as well - that's great! Continued best of luck!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    E&W, I agree that if K is the "learn to read" year where you are (and your child is already reading), then you may have some trouble, depending upon the personality of your child. If not, if it's more like preschool, you'll probably be fine. no academics is better than the wrong academics.

See here is where I am confused. I completely get this....but then I wonder if it is a grade where they learn their letters and phonics then that would clearly be bad as well. It is all quite confusing. In our district, the do some basic level B reading I think by the end of the school year. I don't know if that is right, but some site words at least. I think first is when they really learn to read more and have spelling and such. My DS5 is skipping K and going to first. This was supposed to be K's first year of full day so I didn't see much of a point in having him there all day in K. If it was only a half day I may have considered it. But he is a PG kid that has been tested and is doing most things at least a 3rd/4th grade level. Some obviously less but some (such as reading) probably above a 4th grade level. We don't start school for another week and a half and while I feel like we made a better choice (not necessarily a good choice) I realize that neither setting would be ideal. I worry that he may get frustrated if he doesn't have as much playtime. He does tend to be a kid that acts out when bored...but does great if he is challenged or interested in anything. I guess I realize in school DS is going to start to realize how different he is...he hasn't just yet. And while I know he will still clearly see it in a first grade class I am hopeful it won't be quite as obvious as in a kindergarten. Maybe I am delusional, who knows? : )

m2,

Sound like your school is alot like ours! Hopefully the flexibility will allow for a happy year!

PS. The favorite part of my DS' day last year was riding the bus!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Val Offline
    Okay all...it's time for me to dive back into this thread. DD4 became DD5 yesterday (who said she could grow up?!?) and will be starting first grade on Monday.

She's a little apprehensive, in spite of the fact that she used to go to school with me every day to collect her brothers. She even spent a day there last spring.

I had a talk with my mom about DD5's uncertainty, and she was very reassuring. Moms can be so wonderful in that regard; wonder if I'll ever turn out that way?

Anyway, reports to follow next week.

Val

P.S. LOL: we could just as easily rename this thread "The Ultimate Kindergarten Thread!"

Originally Posted by shellymos
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    E&W, I agree that if K is the "learn to read" year where you are (and your child is already reading), then you may have some trouble, depending upon the personality of your child. If not, if it's more like preschool, you'll probably be fine. no academics is better than the wrong academics.

See here is where I am confused. I completely get this....but then I wonder if it is a grade where they learn their letters and phonics then that would clearly be bad as well. It is all quite confusing. In our district, the do some basic level B reading I think by the end of the school year. I don't know if that is right, but some site words at least. I think first is when they really learn to read more and have spelling and such. My DS5 is skipping K and going to first. This was supposed to be K's first year of full day so I didn't see much of a point in having him there all day in K. If it was only a half day I may have considered it. But he is a PG kid that has been tested and is doing most things at least a 3rd/4th grade level. Some obviously less but some (such as reading) probably above a 4th grade level. We don't start school for another week and a half and while I feel like we made a better choice (not necessarily a good choice) I realize that neither setting would be ideal. I worry that he may get frustrated if he doesn't have as much playtime. He does tend to be a kid that acts out when bored...but does great if he is challenged or interested in anything. I guess I realize in school DS is going to start to realize how different he is...he hasn't just yet. And while I know he will still clearly see it in a first grade class I am hopeful it won't be quite as obvious as in a kindergarten. Maybe I am delusional, who knows? : )

Don't second-guess yourself! smile You know what you're doing!

I think a lot of this depends on how advanced the child is and what his/her personality is like.

Some kids can handle some "what starts with the letter A?" in circle time, especially if the class is more play-based and is only half a day so the child can go home and get his/her intellectual stimulation there. My HG+ child was in this camp. K with differentiation was fine for him, even though he was in an age level class--no grade skip. It wasn't perfect, but he was not unhappy there.

But some kids would lose their minds in a class like that. Just go stark-raving mad.

If you think your child is in the latter group, then I think you have to do more. You know your child! Trust that.

I like half-day K for GT kids. The fact is that you just can't fit as much boredom into a half day. But since this isn't an option for you, I think you're right that there's little to be gained from K for your child. The half-day is to me the big draw.

Note, too, that E&W and I are not talking about PG kids, as you are. We're not sure about LOGs or if our kids are just bright ND kids. That makes a difference.

IMHO, with a child clearly performing 4-5 grades above age level and with the personality you're describing, shellymos, you probably HAVE to do something, and probably something big to find a workable fit.

In other words, based on what you're saying here, I don't think my comments apply in your situation, and I definitely don't think they should make you doubt the solution you have worked out. In fact, I'm betting there may be another grade skip or two in your child's future, FWIW...

Kriston
    M
    M
    Val: Happy birthday to DD! And good luck with the coming school year.

So as I tuck my son into bed tonight, he says, "I can't wait till Labor Day." "Why?", I ask. "Because then I have a few days of rest and relaxation."

Hmmmm.... not quite the attitude I was hoping for him to have before the first day of school! Already looking for the next day off??!? Oh, it's going to be a LONG year!

Page 16 of 76 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM