Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    I know there has been much discussion regarding the young scholar applications. Of course, now when I need it, I am having a hard time putting my finger on those threads.

We are finalizing our application and wanted to know if anyone had any special tips that may help us get accepted.
    Our child tested on the WPPSI-III and received a score of 146 - Davidson requires 150 on this particular IQ test. My child did score at 17 or higher on 5 of the subtests. He also has taken both the WIAT II and WJ III achievement tests and scored above 145 on those.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Zia-

Beyond the test scores you have, I'd suggest that you think about where your DC really shines. If it's reading, include a list of independently read books, and maybe a clip of DC reading aloud or answering questions about a book to demonstrate comprehension. If it's mathematics, send examples of problem sets with work included, and not just the answers. Whatever it is that makes you (and others!) say, "Wow!" is what you want to highlight. If there is some area you know is amazing and unusual, but don't know how to show, please let us know. I'm sure somebody around here can give you an idea.

WPPSI can have pretty low ceilings if your child took the test at age six plus. All those 17s make me wonder. On the flipside, the trouble with any test normed for very young children is that if you get a kid who is able to do math or read fluently at age 3 or 4, or even 5, their score might come out REALLY high. That's probably why DITD wants to see the 150 on this particular test. Sometimes the kid who can read Dr. Suess at five comes out looking very G, while they may be "just" bright or moderately gifted.

I think it is a good thing that DITD is looking at a number of things when evaluating prospective YSs, though it is of course a pain for the parents to assemble all the documentation. I am not a fan of the "one test" method of selection for special programming. Each piece of "evidence" you submit should give them a better understanding of who your child is and what sort of things s/he can do.

good luck!

Q
    Q
    Hi, Lorel,

I'll bite on your offer - I'm struggling, too. Our son meets the score criteria on WISC-IV VCI and WIAT-II Oral Language - but these are comprehension skills that are hard to describe. His love is science - but for a number of reasons, his academics are not where his abilities are. I'm still having trouble with the describe an incident that shows his ability to process complex information quickly - he just does it -- with everything. And it's hard coming up with objective criteria to prove comprehension when there's no written output to confirm it (I had an earlier post saying just that). I'm thinking that I'll just supplement the scores with what amounts to a portfolio - e.g., a list of books he's listened to - because he sure hasn't read them himself! I believe he does have some very positive recommendations, which should help. Still, he's not nearly as accomplished academically as so many of the children described on this board, including, in particular, those I've read about recently who have not yet gained acceptance to DYS.

The video idea is interesting, although I don't have a video camera that records to full size dvd or vhs. Maybe I can transfer a video from my phone to a blank dvd... That should take me about a day to figure out...

Good luck to you, Zia's Mom - don't want to encroach on your thread, but maybe the answers will be helpful to both of us.

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thanks Lorel,

Thanks for the feedback.
    Since we are already including achievement tests that will show that our son is reading and doing math at a much higher level than expected, should we focus the portfolio on other talents or also include things like the reading lists and math problems you mentioned above?

The three more unique areas I think might be worth mentioning include:
    1. Chess- While one of the youngest children competing, he has had fantastic success on the local, state and national scholastic scene, competing with kids anywhere from 2-7 years older than he is.
    2. Proficiency with email. - Our son composes his own emails, using proper sentence structure and grammar, and has email conversations with relatives and friends around the country. In fact, I had to institute a rule that he was not to send "unapproved email" to non-family members without me reading it first. Reading his emails you get a sense for his level of maturity, how he will start them with greetings and his concern or empathy for people, for example asking how they are feeling if they were sick. Should I include copies of these? How do the Davidson folks know we are not making this stuff up?
    3. Artwork through the Paint program on the computer - He makes
    very sophisticated pictures using the computer. This shows not only his creativity but his facility with technology. Some our based on his fascination with history and depict scenes from different wars or of an historical figure he particularly likes.
    This might highlight his historical knowledge, too. Do you just include a color copy of the pictures? Do you write descriptions for them? Should I ask my son to write descriptions?

Here is another question. Over the summer, when we still thought we were sending him to the gifted private school, he did his 1st day of school project. He had to an assigned book, and then write and illustrate a summary version of the book to be read to small children. He did this for two books actually, since the school hadn't finalized what grade he was to be entering and we didn't want him to be left out.

We have both books. Would you actually send the entire book, or take photos or video of it? They do not return things, right?

Thanks for letting me share my opinion of where my son shines, (it is always fun to highlight his achievements) and for offereing suggestions on how to present them to the YS folks.

Back to your WPPSI comments above,I am not really sure what you meant by the low ceilings and the 17's making you wonder. To clarify, he had two 17's, one 18 and two 19's. He was 4 1/2 when he took the test. Maybe you could elaborate on the point you were making.

To the author of "questions". No problem at all jumping on the thread!! The more the better!!

Hi questions,
    Hope this helps:
    We have recently applied to DYS program for DD7. While she had FSIQ WISC-IV qualifying score, we have NOT done an achievement test yet. When I initially called to inquire, they did say we COULD substitute a portfolio for one of the tests if we had one qualifying score.
    As I understand it, we did not send in enough work for them to make that determination from her portfolio.
    If I could go back I would have just arranged for her to take the WIAT or Woodcock Johnson before we applied. FWIW.
    We have decided to have DD7 take an achievement test, probably the WIAT because that's what our tester uses and Insurance is going to cover it.
    Of course I would like to see her get in, but it's not earth shattering if she doesn't.
    To me it's worth investigating, even if they ultimately say no. Maybe it's not a good fit. Maybe it would be the best thing that ever happened to our family.
    You will never know if you never send the application in. The counselor I talked to was very nice and helpful in explaining the letter to me.
    There is absolutely NO sense of embarrassment if it's not a good fit, anyway.
    If you have qualifying scores on IQ testing AND achievement testing, I believe you would be in very good shape to apply.
    There is nothing to lose by applying, and if they need more data, they will let you know.
    IMHO the letters of recommendation are a good idea. Sometimes we think what our kids do is normal, because it is normalized for us. A teacher, friend, neighbor, church person, whatever, may really see what your child is doing as exceptional and can express that effectively in a letter of recommendation.
    Good luck to you questions and Zia's Mom.
    It's clear you all are paying attention to what's going on with your kids and will take care of their needs one way or another.

Incog

Zia's mom,

Was the book more of a techical summary, or can you determine his "voice" in his writing?

Q
    Q
    Thank you, Incog. I appreciate your comments. Very much. And thanks, too, Dottie and Zia's mom. I'm on a roll now, and know exactly what I want to do. We have a lot of professional information (detailed evaluations) already - I'll just supplement where it might be helpful.

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Incongneato,
    You make a good point about the books. They are not really technical but they are very simplistic, as that was the assignment. I think his emails would showcase his "voice" much more. I don't think we will use the books.

Hi Zia's mom,
    just look closely at the application. I think on the last page they give specifics on what they are looking for in terms or the child's work submitted.

Good luck, I'm sure whatever you send in will be a very impressive representation of your child. smile

Incog

Mia Offline
    Ah, we are in a similar position. Our ds (5.5) took the WPPSI last month and was a few points shy of the Davidson cutoff -- with five ceilings. His WIAT scores, though, qualify him both in reading and math. I sent in his application last week.

I included several anecdotes in the parent question sections that I felt would give them a good feeling for ds. You can work a lot of information into those answers; just attach a separate sheet. I think the history/battles thing would fit well in the "child's need to explore subjects in surprising depth" or whatever it was, and they even suggest including chess in the "prodigious talent" section. My ds is less academically motivated than many of the children on this board, but I was able to come up with several incidents that demonstrate ds's precocity, and work them into my answers. Of course, we just applied this month, so that may or may not work! smile

Since they ask for copies of all standardized tests given, I don't know that you *can* technically omit the WPPSI score from your application; if you have had testing done, they go by scores. I don't think portfolio is an option if you have two qualifying tests. Am I mistaken in this impression?

Personally (and I can say this, because it's what I did), I'd include his WPPSI and WIAT scores and get all the other info in the parent sections. From what I understand, they look at the full score reports, and they'll likely figure out the the WPPSI IQ is an underestimate, given the limitations of that particular test.

Anyway, best of luck! Your little man sounds extraordinarily bright.

Mia
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM