Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Val
    So, following that logic, what happens if there's a fight at recess? Do they do a nickel in Pelican Bay?*

Look up the Skeleton Coast ... its MUCH worse!!

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for making me laugh, guys smile

I'm probably making too big of a deal out of it... DS seemed to take it in stride. I guess if kids get red X'ed all the time, it loses its scare value. And I haven't heard of kids getting teased about it... I think they see it more as a badge of honor.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    And I haven't heard of kids getting teased about it... I think they see it more as a badge of honor.
    Sounds like when cadets have to march tours at our military academies. His elementary experience will serve him well if he pursues that option. wink

I'm probably making too big of a deal out of it... DS seemed to take it in stride. I guess if kids get red X'ed all the time, it loses its scare value. And I haven't heard of kids getting teased about it... I think they see it more as a badge of honor.

This may have worked out to his benefit then. Now, he's really 'one of the guys'. I'd let it go, I think, at this point. Yes, I think it was a totally inappropriate punishment. But if it's an isolated incident, and your son is taking it in stride, I'd count it as a mark of your son's growth for handling it.

J
    J
    Maybe if the drawing was of a one dollar bill with all the details, he would've gotten extra credit instead of recess detention!!! wink wink wink wink Or, if anything, his prison cell walls will be nicely decorated! wink

Drawing doesn't necessarily mean you're not paying attetion; doodling can be a way to keep you mind fairly wakeful during a dead-dull lecture - studies have shown that folks allowed to doodle tend to retain MORE than people who are not allowed.

Anyhow, if it keeps up, maybe you can ask the teacher to query your ds as to some relevant info she think's he's missed. If he usually knows the answer, maybe he could be allowed to keep doodling. I was a serious doodler in class, usually in the back of the room, but always had a correct, and often pithy response for teachers - thinking they'd really really caught me off guard they'd select me for a tough question and I'd nail the answer, because despite the doodling, I really was listening.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    It's an older one that tells a story, and the guy starts out talking about how he was arrested for throwing trash, and was on the bench with all the other mean serial killers? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can see Cathy's little guy there saying "I drew during a money lesson" <and they all moved away on the bench>...

It was Alice's Restaurant/Alice's Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie. They made it into a very funny movie. I can still seem him making friends with the mean-looking guys on the bench (I think they decided he was okay when he subsequently announced that he'd also been charged with disturbing the peace).

(The song was based on a true story)

Val

Last edited by Val; 09/23/09 09:00 AM.
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I can see Cathy's little guy there saying "I drew during a money lesson" <and they all moved away on the bench>...

laugh

And thanks for mentioning Alice's Restaurant, Val... my DH put it on the Netflix queue for me!

DH says, the next thing will be DS coming home from school with a teardrop tattoo.

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma

This may have worked out to his benefit then. Now, he's really 'one of the guys'. I'd let it go, I think, at this point. Yes, I think it was a totally inappropriate punishment. But if it's an isolated incident, and your son is taking it in stride, I'd count it as a mark of your son's growth for handling it.

Thanks, OHG. I have to remember that my son is not me (and that's probably a good thing!) As a kid, I would have completely gone to pieces over something like this.

Originally Posted by chris1234
    Drawing doesn't necessarily mean you're not paying attetion; doodling can be a way to keep you mind fairly wakeful during a dead-dull lecture - studies have shown that folks allowed to doodle tend to retain MORE than people who are not allowed

If this was Mr W, I'd work with him to dig up some papers on this and give them to the teacher. That would be a real push back.

LOL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM