Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #56261 09/22/09 03:23 PM
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Today my DS got recess detention for drawing on his whiteboard during a money lesson. I asked him why he wasn't paying attention to the teacher and he said that he thought the lesson was kind of easy and he was bored.

I did reinforce with him that he needs to follow the rule (no drawing on the math whiteboards) and pay attention to the teacher...but I'm starting to worry... crazy

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Does it seem a little draconian to make a kid stand on a red X on the playground during recess just for drawing during a math lesson that he already understands?

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Does it seem a little draconian to make a kid stand on a red X on the playground during recess just for drawing during a math lesson that he already understands?

That's terrible! Reminds me of standing in a corner with a dunce hat. Your poor little guy. How does the school justify this?

J
    J
    That's so sad frown If he wasn't bothering the rest of the class why did she punish him?

Val Offline

It sounds mean, unhelpful, and humiliating/an invitation to be teased by the other kids. I'd write to the teacher and/or principal about it (but that's just me). What's the justification?

Is this his first offense? If so, what happens on a second or third offense?

Val

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The RED X is the all-purpose punishment here at this school. I'm a little confused by the whole thing, though, because at back-to-school night last week the teachers explained the discipline policy and they said that kids would receive a verbal warning, if the behavior continues, they turn the child's card to yellow, and if the behavior continues, then the child gets a red x. Two red x's in one day=phone call to parents and behavior ticket. Beyond that, the card is turned to purple and the child is sent to the principal's office.

The teachers said they reserve the right to skip some of these steps for serious offenses. She skipped two steps for drawing!

I asked her if this was the first issue she had seen with him thinking that maybe his card was already on yellow for something else, but she said, no, there was nothing else.

Val Offline
    The teachers said they reserve the right to skip some of these steps for serious offenses. She skipped two steps for drawing!

So, following that logic, what happens if there's a fight at recess? Do they do a nickel in Pelican Bay?*

Oy. crazy My mom used to get really annoyed about stuff like this (Hmm. I've just given away some information about myself...).

Feeling your pain,

Val

* Translation for non-native English speakers: this means "spend five years at a notorious prison in northern CA."

Last edited by Val; 09/22/09 06:49 PM.
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Probably. Or time on The Rock.

Vee veel haf deeseepleen or der veel bee konzeqweencees!!

LOL!!

Red X's??

That sounds like Hollywood Squares!!!

Val Offline
    Probably. Or time on The Rock.

Yeah, in January, outside, with no supplies except a plastic garbage bag, an empty Coke bottle, and a bent dime.

That'll learn 'em.

Val

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM