Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
    O
    O
    Here's some great ones:
    http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=224
    Here is some great books on space for preschool to early elementary.

Let's read and find out science books, The Planets in Our Solar System
    (This is a large series, I've found these used and at the library & on ebay , we can't get enough of these)

Little Rocket's special Star by Julie Sykes

If you decide to go to the moon by mcnulty

On the moon by milbourne

M
    M
    I may have missed them, but a few from my childhood that *stick* are the Henry and Ribsy books by Beverly Cleary. I'm not a *huge* Cleary fan, but I always thought Ribsy was worth my time. smile

And don't forget Harriet The Spy (Fitzhugh). I used to hide under the living room sofa, "spying" on my parents, and wishing we had a dumb waiter....!

A newer one - the Dragon of Lonely Island by Rebecca Rupp. Fun story about three children who unwillingly (initially) spend a summer on a remote island at the home of their aunt. They discover an attic room that hints at the presence of something mysterious on the island - a dragon. They find him and he relates several moral tales, historically based, that help the children resolve some problems. One tale is about their aunt as well.

Very appropriate for the younger set - the stories are not harrowing, just adventures. The dragon is friendly. The follow-up book is equally appropriate, but not quite as strong a story.

~ Mingo and 9yo dd
    O
    O
    Chris1234 thank you for the cartoon strip book reccomendation - Calvin and Hobbs

They are great! very funny. Some of the stuff remind me of the drama in my own son's life. I want to point that out to him at the right moment. Calvin's imagination is so inline with my DS9.
    EVERYBODY SHOULD GET THIS.

Onthegomom - Gosh, you are so welcome!! I can't imagine going through life without having read at least a bit of Calvin. Don't be surprised if almost everyone on this board DOES have these books!! And don't be surprised if your kiddo ends up sleeping with the darn things....my ds9 has several, and some are so worn out we'll be getting him a couple new ones.
    (Dh and I love them, too, lol!)

K
    K
    Originally Posted by renie1
    Can someone on the board recommend some high quality picture books for younger kids who read at advanced grade level. My DS7 just finished first grade, reading level is about R-S for guided reading or about 5-6th grade. He will read chapter books if they are intensely interesting, but continually requests picture books. He even asked if i could get chapter books tha have illustrations on every page!! (tall order).. My local librarian told us there were lots of picture books designed for older readers but we've only found a few at this point. Patricia Polacco seems like a good fit but the story i picked quickly for him is too mature (deals with Holocaust)..

irene

My DS6 has no interest in chapter books, he prefers pictures, his reading level is ahead but his interest level is age appropriate and hes intimidated by too much text. We're doing a lot of graphic novels and he loves them. He's reading Babymouse now, it's very cute. The librarian recommended Bone. I'm not sures if my DS is ready for them but yours probably us. We started one called Joey Fly: Private Eye, my DS didn't care for it but I think it's better for a kid a bit older.

B
    B
    Try getting some of the EASY chapter books with pictures. They will be below his level, but perhaps if you can get him interested, he will progress to ones without pics. My daughter enjoyed the Ready Freddy series of books. When their were pics, on each one was a hidden word "Fin" (*because the main character loves sharks). She enjoyed having to look for the hidden word in the pic. We could easily finish the book in 30 min. maybe an hour, but it was better than a picture book even though it was an easy read. Just a thought. My daughter is 7 also. Again, it is way below what she can read, but she finds the series comical.

C
    C
    My DS (1st grade) reads at a late 4th grade level but also prefers graphic novels and picture books. He loves Wimpy Kid, Magic Pickle, Herbert's Wormhole, The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich and a whole bunch of that type. I haven't had too much trouble finding books with more advance reading that still has pictures.

T
    T
    When it comes to picture books, just browse the library and you should come away with handfuls of great books. It seems to me that most picture books are designed for read aloud by adults, so the language is not oversimplified in the longer ones, and the reading levels are in fact relatively high. A couple of great picture book authors (other than Patricia Polacco):

Eve Bunting (although some have mature topics). I personally love the book Dandelions.

Allen Say

Tomie DePaola

David Mclimans (these are newer books--one is alphabet, one numbers. Each features endangered animals. Gorgeous artwork, brief but informative text on each page about the animal)

http://www.amazon.com/Gone-Wild-Caldecott-Honor-Book/dp/0802795633

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

Hip Cat
    http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Cat-Jonathan-London/dp/0811814890

Oh--and we love this author too: Jonathan London. In addition to the popular "Froggy" books, he also has some beautiful books that feature animals in the wild. Here's a link to one of his books:

http://www.amazon.com/Eyes-Gray-Wol...p;s=books&qid=1254029803&sr=1-14

We also love Kevin Henkes, David McPhail, Robert Munsch....

So many books...so little time [sigh]

Just wanted to say 'Thanks!' to everyone who mentioned/recommended 'George's Secret Key to the Universe'.

I got this for DS9 a couple weeks ago, and he sort of sniffed at it, but about a week ago I finally got him to crack it, and he just LOVED it. He thought it was hilarious. I thought he'd enjoy the science aspect of it, but had no idea it was so enjoyably funny!!! That really seems to be the kicker for ds, a really great laugh-out loud book, plus SCIENCE. He was in hog heaven. Yay!! Thanks ALL smile

When he saw it was a series, he was soooo excited - I have to go out today and get the next one, hope I can find it easily.

Oh, and it was just so gratifying to have him ask me what neutron star was yesterday, and I actually had an ok answer for him, as I've been doing some reading on the subject as well! Fun stuff. laugh

B
    B
    Our two most recent fav's are The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes and The Inventions of Hugo Cabret. My DD7 read both of these in 2 days (would have sat down and read the entire books at once if we didn't have other things that needed to be done wink...) I listened to Liberty Aimes (it was VERY GOOD and I'd be surprised if it doesn't become a movie.) I didn't listen to Hugo Cabret but my DD read it so fast and took it everywhere that it must have been good. VERY LARGE BOOK (over 500 pages, but over 200 illustrations as well. So.. about 250-300 pages of text.) She loved it she said. Liberty Aimes is ages 8-12 and Hugo Cabret grade level equivalent is 5.2.

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM