Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    E
    E
    I'm new on here and read the discussion on the explosive child. I've just begun reading it and have not come to the part of WHAT to do yet, all I know is I'm exhausted from fighting my four year ols and now my 2 1/2 year old is picking up on his behavior. I don't feel like taking them anywhere right now and yet socialization is what they need! It was great to read your posts and know I'm not alone, which I have been feeling so much lately.

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    hi exhaustomom
    i know those books sometimes take a while to get to the point. I would also highly recommend Nurtured Heart- i felt my daughter was not right for the Explosive Child but it fit my son (to summarize my earlier posts!)..The best thing I got from Explosive Child is making sure to start by empathizing with your child.. and a great thing from Nurtured Heart was doing a time out without having to move your child to a room or bench. And for recognizing that just because my kids are explosive, i'm not a bad parent!! Really helped.
    irene

Originally Posted by exhaustomom
    I'm new on here and read the discussion on the explosive child. I've just begun reading it and have not come to the part of WHAT to do yet, all I know is I'm exhausted from fighting my four year ols and now my 2 1/2 year old is picking up on his behavior. I don't feel like taking them anywhere right now and yet socialization is what they need! It was great to read your posts and know I'm not alone, which I have been feeling so much lately.

It's hard to take in new information while you are exhausted. I would recommend these steps before trying to apply anything from a book.
    1) Defuse your frustration level. Step: Start a new thread and post exactly what is going on at your house.
    2) Find a way to put your own 'oxygen mask' on first. You can tell us what you've tried and we'll give you ideas.
    3) Start with ONE STEP. I don't have enough words to get a strong vibe here, but an idea did 'pop'into my head:

Get a big pad of paper and an easel. Put it in the middle of where most of the action takes place in your home. Label it Gratitude Pad. Just start running over there and writing down anything that anyone in your home does that you appreciate. Include yourself, your spouse, nature, your Higher Power - whatever. Allow the kids to use your paper. If someone isn't bleeding, and you see anything specific that you like and want more of - run to the board and sharpie it down! You don't have to say a word, or explain it or anything! Just open up your heart and let let any joy out into the open. Fan those flames!

So post more here, and then compliment yourself on that Gratitude Pad! (You can use opened up paper grocery bags, the back of on sale wrapping paper, anything big if money is tight, but I want you to have a keepsake as well, if possible!)

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students