Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    S
    S
    Okay...let me try to explain things this way.

It's taken me quite a long time to understand my child's intense behavior as it relates to the factors that play into it.

I think the biggest clue I ever got was from my daughter's pediatric neuropsychologist. I think she was extremely gifted and intuitive herself. After 5 pretty comprehensive sessions of testing for various developmental abilities, she sat us down and explained to us the neurobiology of what was going on in the development of the brain. Most psychologists don't go into the extra years of study to find out how what's going on at the level of the brain structures and their development and how that affects learning and behavior, so her information is a lot more detailed than I ever would have gotten from a regular pediatric psychologist.

This is what her report said

�SELECTIVE MUTISM� is on it under the diagnosis �neurodevelopmental delay with limbic mood dysregulation�. [for those that aren't aware the limbic system of the brain is the "emotional" center of the brain.]

This is how it is worded � that interrelates the SPD, the attention issues, and selective mutism:

Marked inattention characterized by overexcitation-overinhibition of sensory stimuli is evidenced resulting in heightened sensory sensitivity. This resulted in (among other things related to attention and auditory memory):

* heightened separation anxiety/generalized anxiety, which impeded social fluency. At other times, fluency of interaction was very age appropriate and fluent.

* SELECTIVE MUTISM was evidenced and highly related to heightened anxiety/startle.

All of this in the presence of INTELLECTUAL TALENT. She wanted it quite plain that her SM did no way interfere with her intelligence, only her ability to communicate what she knew.

Okay...that perhaps is a lot of psychobabble, right?

But as she explained it, and further research I did on the matter seems to confirm it, that there was a problem in the integration of normal infant reflexes, particularly those in the MORO reflex (which many of us have heard about as the startle reflex) and one called the Fear Paralysis Reflex (which many of us may not have heard about but basically amounts to the FIGHT, FLIGHT or FREEZE stress response). My selectively mute child's response to stress was essentially stuck on freeze. It was a maladaptive coping strategy.

In most people, reflexes like the rooting reflex, the tonic neck reflex, and the MORO reflex and the FPR reflex eventually "fade into the background" as the infant matures. For instance, if you stroke a newborn babies cheek, he will turn toward your finger and open his mouth - but if you stroke a toddler's cheek, they may turn toward you, or they might just brush your hand away or ignore you. They certainly wouldn't turn and open their mouths as if to nurse or expect a bottle.

Okay, so what happens if a child retains the startle reflex and her Fear Paralysis Reflex is stuck on FREEZE? You just might get a child who becomes selectively mute in certain social settings - wanting to interact with her classmates but reflexively shutting down her ability to speak and interact.

And even though you'd think a classroom setting isn't a big deal, think about it through the eyes of a child that is so "switched on" to the world around her (very sensitive to auditory and visual and vestibular sensations), the noise and chaos of being in a room with 19 other immature 3 year old was too much.

And of course, it takes a tremendous amount of energy to not speak, keep rigid, avoid eye contact and ignore someone who gets in her face, all the while thinking "everyone is watching me" and being self-conscious about everything. Even on the days when she wanted to talk, she was articulate enough to tell me when she was 5, "the words are there in my head, but they just wouldn't come out". She would come home completely exhausted from being on edge at school and meltdown because the stress just built up too much.

Because I had to know more, I spent time looking for information to back up what the neuropsych said.

So I found some resources

particularly this book by Sally Goddard Blythe

Reflexes, Learning And Behavior: A ...olving Learning & Behavior Problems

Sure enough, as part of her research paper, she wrote how retained primitive reflexes can directly "cause" selective mutism.

There is a whole host of problems related to neurodevelopmental delay of having these primitive reflexes not integrated. To see a list of them, you can look here

NeurodevelopmentalTherapy

What kind of problems?

SIGNS OF NEURO-DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY

Dyslexia or Learning Difficulties, especially reading, spelling and comprehension

Poor written expression

Poor sequencing skills

Poor sense of time

Poor visual function/processing skills

Slow in processing information

Attention and concentration problems

Inability to sit still/fidgeting

Poor organisational skills

Easily distracted and/or impulsive

Hyperactivity

Hypersensitivity to sound, light, or touch

Dyspraxia/Speech problems and Language delays

Motor, co-ordination and balance problems

Poor posture and/or awkward gait

Poor handwriting

Poor spatial awareness

Poor hand-eye co-ordination

Poor gross and fine motor skills

Difficulty learning how to swim/ride a bike

Clumsiness/accident prone

Slow at copying tasks

Confusion between right and left

Reversals of letters/numbers and midline problems

History of difficult birth

History of brian injury or damage

Quick temper/easily frustrated/short fuse

Bedwetting past 5 years of age

Motion sickness

Can't cope with change/must have things a certain (their) way #9;

School Phobia

Poor motivation and/or self esteem

Depression, anxiety or stress

Behavioural, self esteem and motivational problems associated with the above

In adults, symptoms include agoraphobia, excessive reaction to stimuli, anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty making decisions and poor self esteem.

So...the thing is...if you can help the child to reintegrate these things, the better able the child can help themselves.

But how?

Most psychologists tell the parents they need therapy, or medications or what not. I don't think those are bad, but they should only be a last resort.

What helps to reintegrate these things?

Movement and SPD therapies focusing on sensory calming activities.

Movement therapies include something a bit off the beaten path called feldenkrais - a very gentle therapy often used for patients who've had physical injuries.

But, I found (in our case) we didn't have to pay someone for the therapies. I asked what could take the place of feldenkrais (because even though there was someone available to do it, it was not feasible due to time and distance constraints), and I was told ballet and yoga. So I enrolled her in the nearby ballet studio, and bought a YogaKids 2 dvd set from Target to do at home.

Then we did lots of park time for all the climbing/balancing/swinging on tire swings and read books like Sensational Kids and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun for things to do at home on the cheap.

I also made a Kids Problem Solving Binder using picture stories I got from different places on the internet, coupled with books I got from the library to help her identify her strong feelings. On that link, I link to other places where I got great information about social stories with pictures, and also a great booklist for age appropriate books about emotions, from Vanderbilt University's The Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL).

We went through the binder in between episodes of frustration (because of course no learning happens in the heat of the moment).

I can say, without a doubt, working on the physical end of things as well as emotion coaching (and frequent high protein snacks), while my daughter has the occasional outburst, it's signifcantly better.

Reducing her stress and frustration and overwhelming emotions by giving her physical outlets (which scared her as much as it scared me sometimes) and spending lots of time hugging and holding her while using her cognitive abilities to talk about her intense feelings really has made a huge difference.

It's not that she's never mad or frustrated, but she's much better able to articulate and help me work on a mutually agreeable solution than to totally flip out about it. Now, talking about what happens to her and validating her feelings goes a lot way. Her better behavior also helps me because my own sensitivities aren't triggered.

Whew...this was a lot. I hope it all makes sense. I'm going out of town this weekend and I may not get a chance to elaborate more.

Last edited by Sciencemama; 09/18/09 10:44 AM.
    I
    I
    Thanks for writing this and have a great trip. I'm going to go through the links you gave and revisit your blog posts. I look forward to learning more!

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    sciencemania-great post, i'm going away for the weekend also, but am hoping to bring my laptop and connect somehow so i can get my fix here!

N
    N
    Dear Friends,
    I am new to this board and ran across the posts and am so excited to share with you all! I didn't read word for word the posts on this topic but here goes: I am a trainer with the Nurtured Heart Approach! That said, nothing else touches this. I used to do parent education and have read and used The Explosive Child, ...Your Spirited Child, etc. etc. If you are looking for someone close to you to support you with the NHA, go to www.difficultchild.com or www.nurturinggreatness.net and look under coaches/trainers. We are presented alphabetically and are located throughout the globe. Oh yes, Kazdin was one of the experts on the Primetime show on Wed. The ideas are positive focussed. The NHA is even more so--
    Best wishes,
    NHAYEAH!!

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    hey all
    i wanted to give a quick update. There have been huge changes around my house. After pouring through both of these books (explosive child and nurtured hard approach) i basically just started "doing it all" and i now can't wait for them to get home from school so i can experience this new place we are in. I started the basics of Nurtured Heart (active noticing & calm, low-energy negative interaactions) about 10 days ago and started Collaborative Problem Solving from Explosive Child on Monday. As expected, my son has the issues that can be worked on with CPS and my daugter fits NCA. But they both get some overlap, definitely.. I defintiely do need guidance with some parts and so am not totally there yet but i wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to see change quickly. i avoided these types of books for so long,, i am mad at myself about that!!

irene

Originally Posted by renie1
    i now can't wait for them to get home from school so i can experience this new place we are in. I started the basics of Nurtured Heart (active noticing & calm, low-energy negative interaactions) about 10 days ago and started Collaborative Problem Solving from Explosive Child on Monday. irene
    Irene - yippee!!!!
    I'm so glad to hear that you found the right start for yourself, and that you are seeing some results.
    Please forgive yourself for the past - it really is over! You probably saved yourself a lot of energy and sanity as most of what is in 'those types' of books really just doesn't apply - the important thing is that you have found some strength and wisdom that is making your parenting more effective and more fun. Good for you!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    I ditto what Grinity said and it made me think of a Maya Angelou quote. I posted the long version on the quote thread but the short version is 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better.' Glad to hear your report on NH. I'm in the library queue for Transforming the difficult child : the nurtured heart approach : shifting the intense child to new patterns of success and strengthening all children on the inside / Howard Glasser and Jennifer Easley.

Nice Quote Inky.
    You may want to also get in line for 'All Children Flourishing: Igniting The Greatness of Our Children' just to see the evolution of the ideas. 'Igniting' is the most recent version of the Approach, and I can notice a huge growth.

Smiles,
    Grinity

I
    I
    Thanks for the recommendation. Our library doesn't have a copy of Ignited but I'll see if I can get a copy through the interlibrary loan.

I just love interlibrary loan!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM