Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 260 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Thank you for the update. It sounds like something my son could like. He likes games where he can see his progress. It could be a very good option if we end up homeschooling.

Originally Posted by questions
    Have any of you tried the Stanford EPGY Language Arts courses for young children? There are two available for children reading at the third grade level and above (CTY doesn't offer language arts for young children).

Does it mean that a child can take it before entering the 3rd grade? Do they require any tests to prove that he reads on the 3rd grade level. It would be nice if DS could take it at the 2nd half of 1st grade or in the 2nd grade.

LMom
    LMom #7260 01/14/08 08:01 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    LMom, the tutor told me there are 150 children in the course, some as young as four. My DS7 is in second grade. There was no qualifying necessary once he was in epgy. And quite frankly, he was basically refusing to read at all, so I thought he wasn't even at a 3rd grade level. Figured I could read to him, and then he could read and answer the computer questions, as his comprehension is years ahead of his reading. Turns out he's reading at a much higher level, but the tutor did suggest some strategies to get him to start reading chapter books on his own.

I am very surprised DS likes it so much, but I think the big attraction for him is that it already has him a year ahead of his grade. I am very happy with stanford epgy and think I may use them for his next math course instead of cty.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Lorel,

They get to choose the books they want to read from the following list. And I understand that the list will be expanded shortly.

Here's the link for the elementary level reading course:
    https://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/english/RWL/

That's an impressive list. Lots of good reads with plenty to discuss. It's also interesting to me to see the great variety in reading level: books that my DD read at three like Catwings and Cam Jansen along with some much juicier stuff like Tuck Everlasting and Wrinkle in Time. I'm all for choice, and it seems that this program allows the individual student to really make the course their own.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM