Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 49 of 268 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 267 268
    Originally Posted by BeckyC
    It's a pretty clever story too - She merged the Harry Potter characters with Pokemon. Apparently, in this book Harry Potter and his friends play pokemon.

Harry Pokemon!!!

J
    J
    DS5.5 had his first fall baseball game. Played SS for the first time. Made 3 outs on his own and got the game ball! BUT, most impressive was watching him get the ball, looking at the runners and making the decision as to where to go/throw, etc, without the coach even saying anything... most boys, whether they are athletic or not, don't get that part until a few years later, at least in a live game situation!

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    DS5.5 had his first fall baseball game. Played SS for the first time. Made 3 outs on his own and got the game ball! BUT, most impressive was watching him get the ball, looking at the runners and making the decision as to where to go/throw, etc, without the coach even saying anything... most boys, whether they are athletic or not, don't get that part until a few years later, at least in a live game situation!

Wow!

O
    O
    I finding something interesting about my DS9 in sports...He likes to play these key positons. In soccer he loves the goalie. In baseball he played catcher alot and wants to be a pitcher. I'm thinking this might relate to his "Foreman/Leader/Bossy" part of him. I think some kids might be feel too pressured in these spots? Any thoughts?

A
    A
    My 2 and 1/2 year DD just few through the pre-school file folder games I bought her....She's now doing the kindergatren ones and told her dad the other day when he praised her uring it "don't say good job. There's no reason" She also figured out the other day "a square can become a diamond if you turn it on it's side" and "mama, an oval is also an ellipse" So proud.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    I posted a thread about Hooked on Phonics, but I wanted to brag here as well. This weekend we opened the Kindergarten Hooked on Phonics package and DS had fun playing some of the alphabet games on the computer. He then wanted me to read the books, but I asked him to read them to me instead. I was so surprised when he read the first 4 books! Most of the words were 3-4 letters long, but for a kid that I thought barely knew the alphabet, I was very proud of him. Just like DD, he went from not interested in reading, to reading beginner books overnight.

Jen

T
    T
    I just have to brag...
    My DS7 (accelerated from 3 to 4 earlier this year) has just received his results in a national assessments competition. He did the year 4 tests and....

Spelling - High Distinction (>99%ile in our state)
    English - Distinction (>92%ile in our state)
    Maths - Distinction (>93%ile in our state)

He was disappointed in his science (one of his strengths) but it was the first test he did and made some simple errors.

I'm so pleased for him!!

A
    A
    DD 2.5 just sounded out her first word today all by herself...."RAT" I am so proud, she the promptly crashed and feel asleep sitting up on the couch....i guess the new skill wore her out. LOL

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    O
    O
    great story. that's so cute

W
    W
    My little Bear has been going to Music Together classes for 8 weeks now. He has thrown tantrums about going, refused to talk to anyone in class, refused to take off his shoes (can't leave without shoes...), refused to get off my lap, refused to join in the dancing part or let me join in (sensory issues and transition issues there), etc... Luckily the teacher has a son with Downs and is very understanding with sensitive kids.

He LOVES the classes though and eventually separated from me enough to get instruments and put them away.

This last class (8) I made a deal with him. If he got to bring brightly colored giraffe then he would take off his shoes (prior to this I had managed one shoe off for one song). It's a big deal because shoes aren't actually allowed in class. Well he did it! He made it through the whole class and actually participated and talked to the teacher and everything!!!!!!!!! {happy dance} The teacher finally got to see the Bear that I know!

He was horrid to be around the rest of the day. It totally took it out of him (wish he had just passed out! lol), but he did it!

Last edited by Wyldkat; 09/23/09 10:27 PM.
    Page 49 of 268 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM