Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 24 of 268 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 267 268
    M
    mjb Offline
    M
    Oh, just wanted to share a cute one...Last week I was helping in ds6's kindergarten class. His teacher had given him an assignment since he finished early with what the class was doing. He was supposed to draw an animal and then write 3 facts about it. He sat at a table and started. After awhile she looked up and said "M, where are you getting your facts from"? He looked at her and said "well, I already have them in my head".

B
    B
    Had to share - my DS6 is a monopoly fanatic and we must have 4 different versions of the game...he manages to always win! On Friday (I am unschooling him) he said he wanted to make his own Monopoly game...so with my help for the drawing of the game "board" - he designed his own property cards, made up all the names for each spot on the board, came up with his own buying/rental prices for the properties and then we sat and played :-) He was SO proud of his game....he then informed Daddy when he came home that night that he wanted to learn how to design his own computer game all based on the TIV (tornado intercept vehicle on Storm Chasers Discovery Channel) and he went into an hour long discussion sharing all the parts of what he wanted in the game.....so daddy is going to begin teaching him computer programming :-)

That's wonderful Belle!

Belle,

One of the mentors involved with DYS just turned us on to a beginning programming site. It's referred to as "webturtle". I'll pull up the actual address and post it for you.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Just goes to show that you never know what is going on in their little heads. At dinner, I mentioned to DS5, DS8 and DH that DD2 has been asleep for 6hrs only waking to throw up. DS5 says "So she's been asleep for a fourth of the day right? Because there are 24hrs in the day, 2 sixes make 12, and another 2 make 24, so a fourth must be 6."

We weren't even talking about math. I just love how their minds work!

Love that! laugh

Kriston
    W
    W
    I took DD8 with me to our local wine store to pick up our monthly wine club selection (I know, I'm a great role model for her!). Anyway, they had one of those 'fast bottle-chilling' machines. The proprieter told DD to put her hand in and said that it's really cold and chills the wine really fast. DD put her hand in and said "it's not as cold as liquid nitrogen, but it's pretty cold". She spent the 15 minutes that we were there finding patterns in the corks, talking about the different countries the wine came from, marveling at the difference in prices, etc. The proprieter was shocked! They say kids remind you to stop and smell the roses-our kids remind us that there's a learning opportunity everywhere!

Yes even in wine stores!!! Which reminds me to look up places in which the wine we drink is produced! That would be a learning exercise for me!

Tonight we took Mr W to "Dave and Busters"

He fussed a lot at the table, so I let him walk around. He made a beeline for the escalators ( he said "escalator") and rode them a few times, then walked around the arcade, studying things and people. We then went back to the table.

He helped himself to my fries, dipping them in ketchup, then ate some hamburger and sipped some tea.

We then rode the escalators some more and played some games. He does not yet have the coordination or strength to play with the older kids, but he tried. He desperately wants to do the things the 2-4 year olds are doing and he desperately wants to play with them, but they see him as a baby.

We then went to the bookstore and he flipped through some magazines.

He later talked to himself all the way home.

There were some kids his age there ( 13m ), but all were in their parents' arms, none exploring or playing at all. Mr W's uniqueness was very apparent in comparison.

I have the sweetest kid in the whole world!!

We were at a basketball game last night for FDS13 waiting for it to start. One of the 4th grade little girls that my DS6 knows from class asked my son why all the kids in our family look different, have different names and why does he have two moms.

My ds6 explained to her about foster kids, that sometimes kids parent couldn't take care of them so he shares his moms with them until their own parents are ready to take them back. He told her sometimes their parents can't ever take care of them. When that happens we go to court and the judge makes them officially his brothers and sisters. Then he told her that he had two moms because everyone knows that moms are best. With so many kids in the house that need good moms, one wouldn't be enough to go around!

God, I love this kid!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 24 of 268 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM