Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #55287 09/14/09 05:41 AM
    C
    Chrys Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I'd love some feedback on Aleks math. My dd7 is in 4th grade math at school - Everyday Mathmetics. I signed her up for Aleks math to do at home a month ago. I was feeling apprehensive about my little girl going to the 4th grade room for math and wanted to give her a little support.

I guess she didn't need the extra help. She LOVES to work on Aleks. She has mastered 50% of the 4th grade course in 4 sessions on the computer. If she continues using the program will she be done with 4th grade math by October? Is there a way to ramp up the difficulty without going up a grade?

We love the current situation at school. The girls in the 4th grade class are really nice and treat her like a member of the class. The teacher is very supportive and communicates with me regularly. And the 4th grade room is directly across the hall from 2nd grade so she doesn't have to travel all over the school. There are also 2 older sisters in 4th with younger sisters in 2nd that dd is friends with.

I don't really want dd to need to be accelerated more because the current situation is such a good fit. I guess my question is could working on Aleks math just for fun be enough to cause another grade skip? At what point should I share the Aleks report with the school? I know the school would be flexible with us if we need to bump her up more, but her development is so asynchronous I don't know if its in her best interest to push the outer limits.

O
    O
    I don't have experience with the Alex Math. I have looked at the program briefly and we are going to do the free trial.

My thoughts are she does not need to do Alex if you don't want her to accellorate quicker. I would suggest she only does the Alex fact practice for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. I think we could all do well to increase our calculation speed and accuracy.

If you want to give her more math to do at home try something more like math puzzles or Math logic.

See mindware.com for work book ideas, you can print out sample pages

Also people here have used Murderous Math series books.

here are some website with Math, The 1st one I have not tried yet but looks interesting.
    http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=2710
    http://www.freerice.com/subjects.php
    http://resources.oswego.org/games/mathmagician/maths1.html

Best of luck

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/14/09 06:11 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM