Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Dr. Ruf, thank you for clearing things up for me! So glad you had time to drop by.

For anyone who hasn't found it yet, here is Dr. Ruf's website:

Educational Options

Ha, beat you by 12 seconds!

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Not the score expert OR the fastest poster, cry !

Uh-oh. Now what!?

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Dr. Ruf ... thank you so much for that informative post. How does the GAI on the WISCIV factor into what you're saying? Could you replace the IQ numbers you quoted w/ GAI as long as there were no LDs causing the disparity?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm never sure if I can substitute GAI for FSIQ when I'm reading recommendations.

And yes, thank you Dr. Ruf! I really appreciate you taking the time to visit us and address some of our questions. (I'm feeling a little star-struck, lol.)

M
    M
    Originally Posted by dr.ruf
    Okay, a 140 on the SB5 will generally translate to at least a 165 to 170 on the SBLM (and other tests even older with a similar scale). It depends on which subtests the child is strong or weak at. High fluid reasoning and vocabulary boost your score more than other subtests on the SBLM. A 150 is extremely, extremely rare on the SB5 (or WISC-IV) and would generally translate into over 200 on the SBLM. Think of it this way, between IQs of about 85 to 115, the old test and the new tests (and this includes the school-given CogAT and OLSAT) pretty much overlap. Scores mean about the same. As you move away from the middle of 100 IQ, past the first standard deviation (85 or 115) each point means more difference in ability compared to the old SBLM. This means that the difference in ability between IQs of 95 to 105 really is about 10 points. But, the difference between IQs of 105 and 115 is much larger, more significant. Each 10 points on this scale is a larger difference in actual ability. The difference between a child with a 135 or a 145 is huge! The 135 child could finish typical elementary school in two or fewer years while the 145+ child could finish in less than half a year if given the chance. The reason is that the 145 child has a brain that was able to absorb more from his or her environment both before and after entering school -- so they already are almost done with anything that would be presented in elementary school.

I was in awe already reading your levels of giftedness with my oldest, who took the older tests and consulting with her psychologist this spring over the new results. Now, we just got our twins preliminary scores back, new test, and after reading the above...I'm just going to go stick my head back in the sand for the weekend...maybe longer... shocked

Thank you Dr. Ruf

Last edited by melmichigan; 09/16/09 04:02 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    M
    Thank you for sharing your insight! Folks on this Board love data but are often baffled by the meaning of the data (as am I) so we love to receive any feedback from a pro.

R
    R
    great thread. i am just curious if anyone knows out there if, in general, WISC IV scores and WPPSI scores are interchangable when it comes to statements made about comparing WISC-IV scores to old SB-LM scores.

Originally Posted by dr.ruf
    The difference between a child with a 135 or a 145 is huge! The 135 child could finish typical elementary school in two or fewer years while the 145+ child could finish in less than half a year if given the chance. The reason is that the 145 child has a brain that was able to absorb more from his or her environment both before and after entering school -- so they already are almost done with anything that would be presented in elementary school.

Sincerely,
    Deborah Ruf

Hi Dr. Ruf - so great to see you here! I've always wondered about your statement above. I mean,from reading your book, I estimate DS13 is probably a level 3 kind of guy - and he scored well enough to make the YSP cutoff, but he wasn't ready to do many of the elementary school tasks more than a year or two before his agemates, in our local 'somewhat above average' district.

Things like telling time, learning to read, small motor coordination for pencil holding, and the dreaded 5 paragraph essay all came within a year or two of his agemates - sometimes ahead of them and sometimes behind them! So I've always wondered what exactly you mean by the '135 could finish in 2 years' statement. Sure, if we started at age 8, he could have it all done by age 10, but at age 7 the '5 paragraph essay' just didn't seem to be in him. Isn't there some physical maturation that is needed for parts of finishing elementary school?

Of course in whatever he did, he was clearly 'different' - using abstract thinking way before peers, and rescuing teachers during class discussion. Even now in 9th grade at age 13 taking all honors classes, he sees that his well organized, hard working, high achieving, classmates don't get the symbolism in the assigned reading. (Today's was Plato's Allegory of the Cave - in English)

Anyway, I just ask because I find everything else in your book to be crystal clear, and so it really stands out to me that part I just can't wrap my head around. Maybe also because it stokes my 'Is he really 2E?' worries.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    This thread has been so helpful that I've forwarded pieces of it to my mom. As a kid who was ID'd PG in the late 70s with a child now who is HG+ it's always been weird that the scores didn't line up and couldn't really be compared. I really appreciate being able to explain to my parents that 140 is the new 170!

CAMom - I had the same conversation with my DH. People think 145 is barely gifted lol. Ugh nope! LOL!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM