Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #574 10/17/06 01:11 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Diana,
    Sounds like DD is in excellent shape to take on the stress of having a "famous" brother, when and if further acceleration brings him into her sphere. She sounds like a terrific kid, well able to withstand the flack of being "lapped" by her younger brother. I think that fact that she is well liked but contentedly "not popular" is a good indicator that she is comfortable in her skin.

I'm the oldest in a family of 4, the last two being twin boys. I have a tiny taste of being famous by proxy. My middle brother got much more than a taste, being only 2.5 years older - he was sometimes refered to as: "the twins' brother!" Ohh he hated that! I propose that having a different level of gifted sibling is much like having twins in your family - it just happens sometimes: Parent behavior can minimize the effect or play it up to a degree, but in the long run it's just part of what life hands us.

((warm smile))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #575 10/17/06 01:38 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Willa Gayle -
    DS10's math jump was pretty amazing in my book. Last year he was taking 4th grade math, doing a Alek.com very occasionally - "one month in October and a week in April" and getting a chance to hang out with the top 5th graders in an optional Math Club that met during Recess once a week during the months of March and April.

The private school gave him an Algebra Readyness test ((sorry I don't remember the name)) and he had done really well a talent search above level test in 3rd grade (1.5 Standard Deviations above the average of gifted 3rd graders taking the test) They compared DS10's scores to other kids who were being tested for Algebra Readiness at their school and was found to be ready for Algebra, so they played it safe and started him on Pre-Algebra. One can observe that he is being challenged in the Pre-Alebra, at least for now.

I keep telling any Adult connected with the school system - it's not that he knows all the 5th and 6th grade material - it's that he's ready to learn Pre-Algebra. Schools seem to believe that children become developmentally ready to learn certian things, like critical thinking, at certian developmental levels which occur at certian ages. This may well be true up to the point that every child reaches the same developmental stage at the same age - that, we know, is just not true.

I remember learning about Piget's stages in my early 20's - by that crietera I was very advanced. I'm still not sure I believe it, but it sure did help me explain a lot about my high school years.

Who knows?

To me, if you can't touch a developmental phase, can't test for it what good is it? If it's true for 70% of people who have normal development - that's terrific, but also dangerous for the rest of us, no?

Trinty

#576 10/17/06 10:31 AM
    W
    W
    yes. people don't seem to understand that Piaget was the "beginning" of the science of cognition and development, not the "end". Things have come very far since then.

Besides, with "asynchronous development" the kid may very well be "too young" for some aspects of learning and "very advanced" in others.

I'm appalled that teachers and administrators are soooooooo far behind on gifted research.

At Mite's school, NONE had heard of the term "twice exceptional". The first person from the school district to mention it to me was the director of education for the whole district.

So, it is not a wonder that they don't understand asynchrony OR anything else for that matter.

Piaget's phases are sorta passe now. There are neo-Piagetians that have developed the theory even further, but really with all the new information coming in about neurological differences in learning, it's all going to be a moot point.

what is alek.com? I just tried to go to it, but nothing came up.

Willa Gayle
    #577 10/17/06 10:54 AM
    aleks.com

Ania

#578 10/25/06 10:54 PM
    D
    D
    Trinity,
    How does your DS10 like 6th grade so far? YOu mentioned that pre-algebra seems like a good fit right now. Are the other subjects challenging him also?
    Sorry if I'm being too nosy. YOur son seeems alot like mine, so I'm especially intrigued.

#579 10/26/06 12:41 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Delbows,

DS10 seems to be getting along well with the 6th graders, although a bit to eager to please the boys with little bits of outrageousness - which has attracted some adult notice, I wouldn't say Vulturing, maybe a mild circling.

the first Math test since the switch is due, and I'm excited to be validated - not that thats what Parenting is SupposeD to be about, but well....you know!

He's studing Ancient Civ for history/writing and seems very into it. I've been listening to a CD leacture series on Ancient Egypt ((a coinsidence, honest, I started before he even got the grade skip)) and what amazed me is that he can hear the names and associate them with what he saw in his text book.

It's so beyond what I can do in that one area. He was evesdropping on a lecture about medicine, which mentioned Queen/King 'Hatchabat' (detail blurry) and her temple and 'Old Dear Maury' (detail blurry, again)and DS 10 pipes up - "Her temple had three stories." I think, "((mental shrug.)"

Later that night while doing his homework he said, "Mom, come look, I think you'll enjoy seeing this." Sure enough, there was a picture of said temple - with it's three levels! How he was able to read the name on the caption and correlate it with what he heard on the CD amazes me.

Oh - and he's loving Science. They are studing microbiology, which is a more memorization of strange names with an idea or two linking them. The text book seems excellent, with much better pictures than I remember getting.

So - he's pleased, I'm pleased, and, as advertised, he is much easier to live with.

Trinity

#580 10/26/06 01:07 AM
    W
    W
    It's fun seeing what he can do when he's allowed to "flow".

...oooooo...another term for gifted stuff....flow is when the gifted mind just latches on to an idea or thought and sucks it in, devours the topic, LEARNS!!!! That's actually used in some literature somewhere.

Anyhow, when the mind is stimulated properly FLOW happens. TDS10 seems to be in flow!!

Willa Gayle
    #581 10/26/06 03:14 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Flow - yeah - see "Chrismansky" not spelled correctly, and mispronounced - can anyone help?

Oh yeah!

#582 10/26/06 03:24 AM
    D
    D
    I don�t have a reference, but I have a slightly different understanding of �flow�. I always understood it to mean what I often call optimal challenge. Essentially meaning difficult enough that some thought and effort must be applied in order to achieve success, but not so difficult as to cause frustration and a defeatist attitude.

#583 10/26/06 03:25 AM
    D
    D
    Trinity,
    I'm trilled to hear about how well your son is doing. It really does sound like an excellent school!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM