Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #552 10/07/06 02:52 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Some of you have been here for a long time, and know how hard I've worked to try to find an appropriate placement for DS10. Sometime in mid-August I reached a place where I couldn't bear to send DS10 back to public school. We found an academically challenging private school and he started there in September. Immediatly I felt that he seemed happier and more contented. For the first few weeks, he reported that the work was "not too hard and not too easy." And he was making lots of friends. Then 10 days ago the complaining about lack of challenge, which had been comming in dribs and draps, and I'd been emailing with the classroom teacher and lower school head, reached a loud roar. I contacted the school, requested a grade skip evaluation. Ten days later, after only one parent meeting and some interviewing/testing of DS10, I got the news on Friday that the school is offering a full grade skip to 6th grade, which is Middle School, with subject acceleration in Math to the accelerated 7th grade group which is doing Pre-Algebra, an 8th grade topic. I think that's 3 Math Grades over one long weekend - LOL! We accepted with pleasure and some nervousness all around. I will keep you posted. But I'll say this much for the record - I like the speed with which this school responded! I like the validation.

Interestingly. 10 days ago when DS10 was complaining, DH and I asked him if he wanted a grade skip, and he said yes, but in a subdued and sad way. By the time he was being interviewed and tested, he was whooping with delight - and he's thought to be a reserved kid. So I now think that he didn't show enthusiasm at first because he didn't think it could actually happen.

So send me virtual flower bouquets! IRL I won't be able to brag or crow at all. I need them from you!
    Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    #553 10/07/06 02:58 PM
    G
    G
    WOW! That is amazing news! I am so happy for you, Trinity, and for your son. I was thinking of you this weekend, wondering how that meeting went... in fact, I just posted and asked you about it on another thread.

Thanks for sharing your good news with us!

#555 10/07/06 11:19 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ((smiling))
    thanks

#556 10/08/06 12:04 AM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    It's so great to hear such an encouraging story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm glad your son is so eager to take all the challenges. He'll do wonderful with that attitude. Congrats to your family,

#557 10/08/06 12:04 AM
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    It's so great to hear such an encouraging story! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm glad your son is so eager to take all the challenges. He'll do wonderful with that attitude. Congrats to your family,

#558 10/08/06 10:53 PM
    M
    M
    Congrats Trinity! That is wonderful. Hope it works well......

Mary

Mary
    #559 10/09/06 12:13 PM
    S
    S
    Wow congratulations, Trinity!!! GREAT news!

I know how you feel although mine is just baby steps so far. My 1st grader got pulled into 2nd grade reading starting today, his teacher already did some tests with him and calls him a "walking dictionary", says his spelling is unbelievable and that he's got above 5th grade reading capabilities. They'll move him up gradually she says, and this week started with 2nd grade reading. I already got a follow up call from my county's Highly Gifted Program, and they've got him scheduled for a full screen this Dec-Jan.

This school year's looking great...

#560 10/10/06 02:41 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Sugar -
    I'm so pleased for you and you're son.
    Trin

#561 10/14/06 08:51 AM
    W
    W
    That's fantastic!!

Willa Gayle
    #562 10/14/06 10:31 PM
    D
    D
    Great news Trinity! Best wishes for your son! Please keep us posted on the trials and triumphs of his acceleration.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM