Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    last year my gifted DS9 was not challenged enough in school in 2nd Grade.

Now, in 3rd I asked,
    How is it going? Pretty good
    Does the work seem harder? not really
    What are you doing in science? Plants and animals
    Are you learning anything new? A few names but I already knew the rest.
    Do you wish it was more challenging? No, it would just take longer.

It sounds like he was bored in science today. The last answer disturbs me. He is a ambitious, self motivated kid. My DS is Mr. Science - loves to learn about nature, robots, space, bugs, animals, rocks, etc. They were doing a study guide today. My guess is study guide bugs him because they are probably given him the answers without giving him a chance to figure it out. He should be loving science.

They used study guides this way last year?

Wouldn't it be cool to have the kids to searches on the internet to find out the answers

Does anybody have any suggestions that work with the school. Home school is not a option for us. I'm not sure if all the information is in a text book. It would make more sense to me to have the kids read first then try to answer the questions but I don't think the answers are in the text.

I already sent 2 emails to the teacher with in 12 school days so I need to not email her about this right now. I need to save my emails for bigger concerns.

I am compiling thought/question to prepare for our IEP meeting in Nov.

I asked do you like your harder Math? yes
    Does that take longer? yes but it's awesome.

I wonder if this is very common way to use study guides?

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/11/09 05:55 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    It drives me crazy not being able to ask all my questions. I'm trying to make a good relationship with the teachers. And not make them want to run in the other direction.

One note of progress:
    I asked DS9 if he would like to do independent studies again this year? "Yes"
    Would you like me to ask the gifted teacher about this Or would you like to? "The gifted teacher talked about this today in enrichment and said the group could do independents studies."

I've been wondering about this since June becuase it was not in his IEP. This is wonderful news! He gets to learn something to be excited about at school and take charge of his learning. Last year, when he did a solar power car independent study the other kids in class wanted to see it and try to make it work. Socially it was good too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM