Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 149 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    We had open house at the school tonight and I got to talk to the teacher. She is genuinely interested in what we want her to do and what he needs her to do to keep him from being bored and to challenge him. I don't know that we settled on anything in particular tonight, but I told her if she can get him to stop saying he hates school by the end of the year, it'll be a miracle, and she said that's her challenge now. smile He really doesn't hate school once he's there, he only hates it when he's at home and having to think about it in some way such as what happened that day or taking a bath for school tomorrow or it's time to get up for school.

On a good note, she says those "Math Minute" things are only filler because the math book's homework doesn't begin until the 11th day. Of course, that will be Everyday Math homework, so it won't improve much, but oh well.

Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Of course, that will be Everyday Math homework, so it won't improve much, but oh well.

Ugh. Everyday Math- what a waste of time!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    C
    C
    That's great shellymos! Hooray for a teacher who pays attention. DS5's new teacher also seems great, but we have a meeting on Monday after which I may post again.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Nan
    That's great! I'm quite impressed at how your son was able to advocate for his own needs. We were not as fortunate when DS tried to advocate for himself at school last year, so hearing stories like yours gives me hope. Maybe I'll encourage my DS to try again this year.

It's kind of strange...DS5 hasn't quite realized he is different. I know he he gets it on some level but thankfully he doesn't at all think of it as a negative thing. He thinks, 'this is to easy for me so I should get something harder and if it's too easy for you then you should too'. I don't think he feels out of place or unusual about it at all. But he said that no one asked why he was doing anything different today. Once the questions start I am not sure he will advocate for himself as much....but I hope he still does.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    - given that your clever DS's maths seems to be a bit of a surprise to you, an interesting question is what else he may be able to tackle, given the chance! Is he still thriving at school? What does he think of school maths, is he being adequately challenged there, do you think? As you'll have seen, there are several threads here on online things for mathy children to enjoy, many of them free, so maybe he can explore some more while he has to be off school. (Sorry about that, btw - having a child with serious allergies must be so worrying.)

I think I will need to pay a bit more attention to what he's doing in class now, I did hear him say that they were doing algebra this term and he never complains so hope all is well - we did some more of the workbook and I've had to skip over most of it because its double digit addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and he's doing it in his head without working out. I'm making him do the first line to show he knows it because I'm thinking of taking it in to show his teacher and check a) if she knows what he is able to do and b) find out if she is working way past this and if she can tell me at what level he should be working at.

Not sure if I should do this or wait out as he is happy in class and I don't want to do the 'pushy parent' as I may need to keep that in reserve. They do have quite a lot to deal with on the allergy front with him as it is, so I don't like to make too much fuss. I guess I am a bit concerned now as at this rate he'll have finished the whole primary math curriculum by the end of this year and still has 3 years to go - what then? I guess this is the same problem everyone here has - I just didn't really understand the situation as we don't get math homework so have no idea what he is doing in that area. Do now!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM