Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 48 of 268 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 267 268
    That's cool! amazedmom wink My DS has always been interested in medical stuff too.

I had to laugh just now when I overheard this snippet of conversation between DS6 and his friend from across the street (also 6), "Metacognition is not a food!" Lol...I have to remember to ask him later what he thinks it is! Where did he get a word like that?

GS10 took the Star reading test the first week back to school. I can't remember exactly what his reading level was at the end of 4th grade, but he jumped between 3 & 4 grade equivalents over the summer, to 12.8 grade equivalent! Isn't it amazing what a kid can learn when school gets out of the way? grin

DH said again that we should look at accelerating him. But GS is a hugely social child, and it's taken a lot to get him accepted by his age peers. He has 3 super good friends in his grade level now, I don't want to start over with that. Besides, even though I've had some frustrations with his teachers over mundane tasks, he continues to put an increasing academic level between himself and most of his age peers.

S
    S
    Wow amazedmom! That's incredible! It is nice to be able to post here and know that people appreciate things and don't think you are bragging.

A
    A
    Just another brag smile
    DD 2 and 1/2 has memorized 2 500+ word books and loves to recite them including doing voices and inflections. It is so funny to watch smile She has been memorizing easy small board books since she was about 1 but these are much longer smile

Just had to share

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    J
    J
    amazedmom- i have a similar issue with a "mommy" board i belong to. i once started a heated argument (not on purpose of course) for stating that DS is on the special needs spectrum and that it was not fair that those that have learning disabilities, etc, got the special attention & education they needed, yet DS couldn't get what he needed. Apparently *I* was stating that kids with learning disabilities shouldn't be in school and then had a list of numbers for all kinds of private schools, etc to contact... *sigh* It's really nice to be able to come here and feel good about being able to brag about your child. smile

your DD sounds amazing!

C
    C
    amazedmom, are you absolutely sure she's memorised these books rather than reading them? (Could be either, of course, or a mixture, but I'm one of many parents who didn't realise how much my DS could read because I was assuming it was entirely memorising, when it wasn't! He certainly *was* memorising, but I think that was how he taught himself to read - comparing what he'd memorised with the marks on the paper.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    J
    ColinsMum - DS was the same! So I say he was reading right before he turned 3 because I wasn't sure exactly when it went from memorizing to reading. But I DO know that we figured it out right before his 3rd birthday. But who knows how long beforehand he was doing it!

L
    L
    My twice-exceptional son was similar in early reading ability. I am sure he started out my memorizing words but before he turned 3 I know he was really reading because I could spell out the words without him even seeing the words on the page and he could identify them. I could spell out the words in newspaper comics when he was three and he could not only identify words spelled out for him that he had seen before, but words that I was sure he had not seen like the word surgery and especially.

Last edited by Lori H.; 09/11/09 06:13 AM.
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    amazedmom, are you absolutely sure she's memorised these books rather than reading them? (Could be either, of course, or a mixture, but I'm one of many parents who didn't realise how much my DS could read because I was assuming it was entirely memorising, when it wasn't! He certainly *was* memorising, but I think that was how he taught himself to read - comparing what he'd memorised with the marks on the paper.)

Mr W is able to pick out words for specific things. This is not reading, but its the last step. Based on this, I can believe that other kids are reading at an early age.

B
    B
    I just have to brag a little bit - my DD (she'll be 7 this week and in 2nd grade) has begun to write a "book." She has all the chapters outlined in her mind. Now, of course, Chapter 1 is only 1 page long, but I'm still impressed.

It's a pretty clever story too - She merged the Harry Potter characters with Pokemon. Apparently, in this book Harry Potter and his friends play pokemon.

She is typing it out as her handwriting is not that great. I'm not sure how, but she had all the punctuation, capitalization, etc. pretty much correct. It must be all that reading she's done and she has "inferred" correct grammar! smile

Page 48 of 268 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM