Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 22 of 76 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 75 76
    Irene - that's great news that your DD loved her first day! It's hard to tell with my DS. His reports included that 2 kids cried today, they had 3 recesses, and 2 snacks in addition to lunch. I asked if there was time for anything else... He has not been much for sharing info in the past, so I'm feeling like we got a lot of info! He has a day off already tomorrow (half the class started today, and the other half goes tomorrow, with the whole class going on Friday).

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/09/09 03:00 PM.
    Hello everyone. I have not posted for awhile. It is so encouraging to hear about the different K experiences.

DD4 is starting K tomorrow. She had her assessment over the summer. Everything seemed to be going well. We met the teacher and she seemed nice. She mentioned that she needed to touch base with the GT teacher to get information on DD.

When we met her again her whole demeanor had changed. She told me that she was expecting her social and emotional skills to be less mature because of her age, which I do not believe that they are. DD has always been grouped with older children and does fine. She corrected DD several times in my presence and talked to me about how social and emotional development are so important. She also told me that she wanted DD to stay in her class all the time instead of going in the pull out program for the first month.

This is very different that what we were expecting. I am confused because she was so nice the first time we met and so different this time. It is too late for me to get in touch with anyone tonight, but I do not feel comfortable sending DD and her first day is tomorrow.

Also DD4 is pretty far beyond the K curriculum now and I am very concerned about her staying engaged. She did not answer the teachers questions in accordance to her ability during the teacher assessment and I could tell DD was a little confused by the change in this teacher compared to last time we met her.

My DH and I are unsure what to do now after going through early entrance and everything we did to try and find a good fit. I am feeling pretty discouraged.

skyward - I am sorry to hear about the teacher. Maybe it could just be first-day stress on the part of the teacher? Can you talk to the GT teacher, if she has info about your DD? Is the GT teacher in charge of the pullouts? Maybe she will have information about why the teacher seems to have changed, or advice on how to get things back on track. It sounds like she's been talking to someone.

I
    I
    Skyward ... I have no advice but I just wanted to send some support your way. That must be very discouraging and disconcerting - especially on the eve of starting kindergarten.

Is your dd still excited to go?

S
    S
    Day one of first grade went well for DS5. He said it was "GREAT" and went into much more detail then I expected about playing tunnel tag in gym, his detailed description of lunch and some of the playground equipment...and a "strange experience" he had today when he didn't know where his class was. He said that he was throwing away his lunch and he turned around and they were all gone. He said he wasn't sure where his class was so he wandered around a bit and then asked someone where D-3 was (thank goodness for his great memorization of numbers and info) and they pointed him in the right direction. And the teacher sent me an email. Apparently they were doing construction and just got computers the night before school started. So all is well and things seem good after day one. I have decided to never ask DS if he learned anything for a little while until they start accelerating things in the class. I think he should see that school is about fun and socialization and that way he won't be disappointed. Plus he learned a cool game in gym today. Hopefully they can accelerate him eventually and he may learn some academic things as well.

S
    S
    skyward -
    good luck with your situation. I wonder if you could talk with the principal or if there is a GT coordinator. It doesn't seem like the teacher shouldn't be able to decide whether or not your dd can be pulled out or not. I am hoping that the teacher was just having a bad day, but it does sound like a big change. Maybe that is pressure from another source? Just speculating of course which probably isn't good to do. Is DD excited and wanting to start school? If so you may want her to start and see how it goes and then keep close contact with the teacher and other school personnel. Good luck in your decisions.

skyward,

Have you ever spoken to the gt teacher? Could that be her who is against having 4 year old in K? It makes me wonder if she said something that changed the K teacher's mind. How disappointing.

shellymos,
    Nice start. Kudos to your son for knowing what to do when he got lost.

LMom
    R
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    R
    Shellymos- thats great news, I know you had some concerns given the skip. Also i like your approach about not asking what was learned at school. our thought process is the same, we are comfortable with DS just adjusting to the new environment and meeting new friends, for now...

DS4 started K last week and so far he really likes it though he did make a comment today that they are doing, "baby work". No worries he likes doing stuff at home and I plan to talk to the teacher once things settle down.

Skyward- Sorry to hear about that situation, I agree with the group that the principal or GT coordinator are your best bets. good luck

DD4 was very upset she said the teacher hurt her feelings when she was correcting her. She did not understand why because she had such a positive experience the first time with the teacher. The first time we met I do not think the teacher knew DD was four or that she was Gt. DD wants to try it for this week and then decide with the family if it is going to work. I will get a hold of the Gt coordinator and see what is going on.

No advice, but you have my support. I hope it was just a bad day for the teacher and that everything is really okay.

If that's not what's up, then do what you need to do and trust your gut.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Kriston
    Page 22 of 76 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM