Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 47 of 268 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 267 268
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    We talked about different number base systems a while ago. Basically he "gets" the idea and could do math in just about any base. (Murderous maths also stretched his mind with the Mayans base 60 math.) He did a double key code for his mom that went alpha to binary to alpha. Murderous Maths have been a home run with him... Love that book series.

JB

I will see if my library has those. Thanks for the tip.
    Blush (non mathie) what's a base system? Do I need a math dictionary?

S
    S
    Wow Dottie, you have opened whole new worlds today. I was always pretty good at Math...but knew nothing about this binary and base system stuff. I just found this cool site that has lots of cool links on it. I am excited to see new stuff that DS5 can learn as he is soaking stuff up pretty quick. I showed him square roots, exponents, and plotting yesterday on the x,y axis as he found it on one of computer things. After a brief explanation...he got it and got them all right. It's crazy.

Here is that site I just found if anyone is interested. It looks pretty cool. Well, cool for DS that is. "cool" is relative.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.bases.html

O
    O
    I just want to say how wonderful my kids are today.

They both love to read. I take them to the library every week. They are very content to look at book or play on the computer. This summer, I baby sat a child and thought that would be great for him too. I knew he didn't go to the library much. Well, he was bored even when I played games with him. Sometimes I think all kids are like mine but this was again a reminder.

I was telling my Friend the reason my kids like to read in we have always gotten cosy with them and made it fun. And we have always said if your not tired look at books at bed time. She then told me she did the same. Then, I felt a little bad, and said well it must be their personality too. But again it made me realize what a gift to have such simple pleasures.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/07/09 07:44 PM.
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I
    I was telling my Friend the reason my kids like to read in we have always gotten cosy with them and made it fun. And we have always said if your not tired look at books at bed time. She then told me she did the same. Then, I felt a little bad, and said well it must be their personality too. But again it made me realize what a gift to have such simple pleasures.

Very Wise OTGMom! If we want to be 'politically correct' then we pretend that it is all about what great parents we are, and not about that each child is born their own person (some more so than others, no doubt) I was awfully smug for years, until I realized that it wasn't about me. I don't know how the other moms put up with me! Good news is that you can congratulate your friend for being a responsive parent and giving her child more of what they like, with are reasonable amount of what they need.

Lately a friend explained to me very simply the 'recipe for raising a coordinated child' I smiled and said: 'Great!' but I didn't believe a word of it. I think it is worth is to make the effort, but, well, mostly I think it's sweet when parents who don't know, just don't know.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    O
    thank you for your kind words.

Okay, so generally I don't like to go on and on about DS6. Already did that last week smile However, this weekend was a great weekend for us. Played lots of chess, played a lot outside (great weather), played on the computer (Evolver math game), etc.

So bedtime reading for the last couple of nights has been a short essay from Isaac Asimov. If you didn't know--I didn't but happened to marry a lovely wife that has a lot of his books--he wrote lots about various non fiction topics, including math. DS has "discovered" one of mom's books, a collection of essays. We've been reading "The Imaginary that Isn't" about i (square root of -1). Yes, I am a geek and yes those genes did pass into said son. Hey, it's his bedtime. If that's what he wants to read, then we'll read it. [to be clear: the vocabulary is very advanced and I am reading it to him. He reads along silently]

This particular essay goes on for a while before it gets to the "good stuff". Tonight was the night that it got there though. You have to read all of it to get the story, but the short of it is that while in college a philosophy professor challenged Asimov and said that basically mathematicians were "mystics" because they believed in imaginary numbers. He then goes on an on in great length (details omitted) and then describes two dimensional space as a function of the x-axis being your normal number line and the y-axis being the imaginary line. I'm not even through reading that sentence when DS proclaims "I get it!" and then jumps out of bed and draws me a number line and then puts i "on top" and says minus i is on bottom. This was all a set up by the way to show the reader that imaginary numbers can be used to show directions just like a compass if you use that x-y system to be your compass. So he's already jumped to "yeah WEST x WEST = EAST" meaning a negative x negative = positive. The fun part will be tomorrow when we finish up! smile

Let's say... I was impressed/stunned/dumbfounded and glad I have a technical background!

JB

Jbdad - that is great!

Asimov's books are so well written!!

M
    M
    Wow, JB, that's so exciting!

Do you know Don Cohen's books? He's at www.mathman.biz . I wonder if his stuff might interest your son--there's the main book (Calculus by and for Young People age 7 and Up), and one called something like "Changing Shapes with Matrices" that was well-loved here (and that sounds like it might have something to do with what you're currently reading). (Sadly [well, sad in this context, anyway], I am Humanities Woman, not Math Woman, so I'm not sure whether this really relates to what you are discussing! But on the off chance that he might like it, I'm willing to risk the public humiliation!!!)

peace
    minnie

PS And good on you for reading him what he likes at bedtime!!

C
    C
    Yea, JBDad, what fun! I think we may have to track down a copy of that book :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    It is nice to have this place to talk. My DD who will be 2 and 1/2 has decided she is going to be "an orthopedic surgeon" She has a "surgeon kit" and "performs surgery" on us all the time. She uses technical terms and act out each step. It is wonderful.

She also says over 2300 words and her sentences are on par with 6 year olds, can count to 25, and understands that numbers go with quantities. She is asking to learn to read and is doing a wonderful job mastering the phonics sound of the alphabet. I would say she has this about halfway mastered.

I can't discuss this with hardly anyone not on here. I have a board I am a member of wit other moms that all have children of siilar age. And whenever I post anything about what my child does that is advanced, not in a bragging way, but just sharing because I think it is cute. It is ignored, no responses at all. So I have stopped. I am glad to have this place.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    Page 47 of 268 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM