Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 75 of 76 1 2 73 74 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Today marks the end of the school year for us... we had ups and downs, but we were really very impressed with the year as a whole, though DS6 will tell you he needed a bit more in math... next year we'll work on seeing if we can't possibly do a pull out. One step at a time.

Guess I will need to start the 1st/2nd grade thread for the 2010-2011 school year soon. wink I still can't believe how fast time flew by!

C
    C
    Wow! We still have 4 more days and I thought that was super early.

We love DS5's teacher but haven't really been happy with school this year. No real challenges beyond the occasional 1st grade math worksheet (he says still too easy) and AR tests.
    We've opted to do a virtual charter for 1st grade so he can remain challenged and work at his own pace. We'll see how it goes come August I guess.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Courtney, is that in addition to regular school or instead of? I ask b/c GA has a virtual online school that can be used in addition to or instead of school. And I'm thinking about enrolling DS6 for the additional programs, but I don't want to overwhelm him with too much (even though the first thing he does when he comes home is open a workbook that I've bought him).

C
    C
    It's instead of going to the local school. He's going to be doing k12 through CAVA (California Virtual Academy). We'll be dealing with the local school though with my daughter who will be in K there.

He already does EPGY at home at the 3rd grade lvl so we're looking forward to maybe having other math to do at his level and have it actually count for school instead of being just extra (he does Singpaore and CTC for fun)

I
    I
    DD6 thrived beyond our expectations this year with subject acceleration and we've asked to do a similar thing for next year. Her K and 1st grade teachers worked great as a team to meet her asynchronous needs. It's been such a relief to have a good fit for her first year of school. The money we spent for the achievement testing that laid the groundwork was well worth it! smile

DS6 had his last day of kindergarten yesterday, and we found out (informally) that he will be accelerated to 2nd next year. Yay! We had a meeting with the school team to discuss what we should do with DS6 next year, and they recommended 1st grade with pullouts for 3rd grade reading and math. We felt he would be better off in 2nd so the baseline level of teaching was closer to his level, and the differentiation wouldn't be so extreme. So we asked them to fill out an Iowa Acceleration Scale form (which I had, because another fabulous poster here shared her extra forms). The school team got the same score that I did, in the excellent candidate range, so I'm happy we're on the same page.

We don't know yet about placement or other details, but I'll keep you posted.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    st pauli girl, that is wonderful!!! yay!

and inky, here's to hoping the next school year is just as great! smile

S
    S
    Wow, so glad to hear all the good plans going on. And a little jealous as we still have 3 more weeks of school!! DS5 (6 next month) is in first this year and will be going to 2nd next year. He will be doing some distance learning into a 4th grade class for math (and maybe some science) and getting 1 hr individual weekly math enrichment. Regular reading with 2nd grade with some subject acceleration in the classroom. We are excited about the plan and hoping it works well. DS is enjoying school but also counting down the days until summer!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    We'll be getting ready for school by the time y'all get out shellymos! wink wink So good to hear they are working with your DS so well. By this time next year, he'll be finishing 9th grade. wink wink

E
    E
    Thanks to all!

We are winding down our kindergarten year here as well. It was so wonderful to have this space to share in over the last year.

Hooray for everyone who was able to get accomodated!

For those of us still working on it, enjoy the summer and good luck next year!

Hats off to all the homeschoolers!

EW

Page 75 of 76 1 2 73 74 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM