Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 76 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 75 76
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Fingers crossed for you Kriston! And you too NCMom - that's DEFINITELY a good sign!

M
    M
    UUGGHHHH!!!

I'm totally anxious to see how things go this year, DS is starting K at our local public school in 2 weeks. The school seems very receptive and is coming up with an education plan for him. I'll be meeting with them to go over the plan before school starts. Everyone I've talked to (both in and out of this school), says how great it is. All sounds good, at least for now....

....then what do I hear? The word on the street is that there will be some redistricting and DS will have to go to a different school after this year. UUGGHHH!!!!

I know we haven't even started this year yet, and I shouldn't even worry about it, try to take one step at a time, etc., etc., etc., but honestly, that just felt like a punch in the gut!

Thanks for listening to my rant. Sorry if it was slightly off topic.

K
    K
    Thank you for the welcome, I hope to understand better so I can help him get more comfortable with challenging himself.

Last edited by Kareninminn; 08/17/09 10:04 PM.
    N
    N
    Val asked, "Does anyone else's little one talk about grade-skips?"

As we were advocating for the grade skip, we hadn�t told DD what we were doing, just that the IQ and Achievement testing she had done was information for the school to use to put her in the class where she could learn best and that wherever they placed her was going to be great. (Even though we were totally against kindergarten placement.) When we told DD4 last week that she was placed in the first grade classroom, she responded with a big smile of relief and, �I was hoping that it wasn�t kindergarten. I was really hoping it was third grade � you know, the first, second, third grade classroom? � but first grade is really good too.� Big smile.

But since then she is excitedly telling everyone that she is starting school next week and she�s going to be in first grade. She�s not bragging about the skip because I don�t think she realizes that it�s an unusual thing to do. And most people that know her already know about our advocacy efforts. But I did have some cringeworthy moments yesterday when I took her for her back-to-school haircut and after her first grade announcement was asked how old she was. �Four and a half.� Suddenly we got looks from all around. I just gently deflected the questions and busied myself with DS1. ;-)

Ms Friz, the school entry cut-off date in our state is Dec. 2nd - about a quarter of incoming kindergartners are still 4. So DD is just in the young group for K. But you�re right that it�s not the usual � it took months of advocacy to get the grade skip approved by our public charter school. We would love to have the option of private, but in our area all the private schools are very religious and set in their traditional ways. We ended up choosing a charter school that is a 50 minute commute each way. I still don�t think I fully realize what we�ve got ourselves into � her preschool was � mile from our house and we couldn�t get there on time. LOL

The great commute starts tomorrow � wish us luck!

Last edited by Nikita; 08/18/09 07:16 AM.
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    good luck Nikita!

And m2gts - at least if they have all the educational plans and whatnot on file for your DS, the "new" school will have them for their records.

And I just got off the phone with DS5's K teacher - they had already begun the process of acceleration to 1st last week (before I even emailed her asking what DH and I can do to help keep DS challenged this year). Of course, that was just her talking to the Principal and the Guidance Counselor and Target (gifted) teacher. He took his first round of tests today (more of a let's see where he really is type thing), and I will be given the forms to fill out/sign for her this afternoon to approve the rest of the process!!! It's a 4-6 week process, but that would get him into 1st grade prior to the first 9 week session ending.

The best part of my conversation with his teacher, besides that she recognizes he's smarter than the average kindergarten bear, is that she mentioned IF he doesn't accelerate, she has already sat down and worked on looking for things to keep him challenged throughout the rest of the year.

And a funny - my biggest issue with whole grade acceleration has been his maturity level. The first thing out of her mouth is that she has recognized that his maturity level is above level as well (so Mom, it's only with you that he acts crazy!!!).

*sigh*

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Nikita
    Ms Friz, the school entry cut-off date in our state is Dec. 2nd - about a quarter of incoming kindergartners are still 4. So DD is just in the young group for K. But you�re right that it�s not the usual � it took months of advocacy to get the grade skip approved by our public charter school.

Congratulations on your advocacy! My state just moved the kindy cut off back to August 31 so that entering students would be "more mature." DS4 has a December birthday, so even talk of kindy enrollment this year literally brought laughs from the school. If I had asked for first, they would have questioned my sanity.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    MsFriz - we had the same issue. DS's bday is in December. Our cutoff is Sept 1. They laughed and made every excuse under the sun not to even talk with me/DS. But he has a K teacher that has obviously recognized his abilities and had already begun the process of whole grade acceleration without me mentioning it. Hopefully, if you are unable to get DS where he needs to be now, it will come!

M
    M
    JJsmom - that's a good point about having his plan on record - I hadn't thought of that. I guess it was kind of late last night, I was tired, and I just wasn't thinking straight!

Great news about your son! That sounds like a wonderful teacher that he has, to recognize his abilities and recommend acceleration. Continued best of luck!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks! And apparently (we had Open House last night) she has spent most of her 16 years of teaching as a 1st or 2nd grade teacher, so obviously she has some experience with what is taught at those levels and whatnot. smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    albs, welcome - and for the record, i've learned more and talked more about myself and my experiences, frustrations, etc than I have my DS5.5!!! So talk away, vent, share away!

Page 10 of 76 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM