Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 19 of 76 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 75 76
    I got the kids' school schedule and they have already chosen what they prefer (theater and music). Now I can put it all on the paper and start scheduling the rest smile

Kriston, how interesting that we will be in similar situation. I must say that I really liked this arrangement last year. Fingers crossed it works for both of us.

I feel your pain about the mornings. We let the kids read at night as long as they want in summer. They love it, we love it, but it's really not compatible with a.m. homeschooling. I am very torn about it right now.

Take your time adjusting. I am sure I will have to. Forget the kids. Even I will have hard time moving from the summer schedule or more the lack of it to a homeschooling schedule. I am giving myself at least a month to figure it all out again.

LMom
    JJsMom,

How about he starts going to the 1st for part of his day? That way he gets to know the other children and teacher and has some time to adjust.

It may be a good idea to post this question in a separate thread. That way those who went through it may chime in with a btdt advice.

LMom
    M
    M
    We had a welcome back party at school tonight. DS5 saw his teacher and went and gave her a big hug! Yay, he really is happy with school so far. Later, she found me alone and told me that he's a perfectionist and is doing things "he shouldn't be doing yet." Plus, she said he's really empathetic and he's not a show-off about what he knows, which she really likes. And she told DH separately that he drew an amazingly detailed fish with lots of colors, etc. I told her that I know he's doing more at this stage than his brother did and am really curious to see where she assesses him at. She thought that totally reasonable. First round of assessments will be done in August.

Plus, ran into another parent who's son had her as a teacher last year who told me lots of great things about her ... and this woman's son is also a couple of years ahead in reading.

It's really looking good!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    assessments in August? next year? wink :P just playin'!

And LMom- that was just more of me thinkin' out loud than actually wanting an "answer" to the question. i've actually already asked his teacher to see if he can be introduced to first grade first.

W
    W
    After looking at the Phonics and Math Wolf is supposed to do I talked with his Independent Studies teacher and she says it's fine to skip as much as we want and to pick and choose. Better yet she said that Wolf can dictate if he gets tired from writing and still wants to do workbook stuff. Hooray! He's got a 5 year old's writing stamina and is doing 1st and 2nd work so that will make a HUGE difference.

I'm still waiting for something to go wrong... After last year I'm probably more paranoid than I should be.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Wyldkat, who can blame you? Even though we haven't had a bad year yet, necessarily (I gave up the grade skip fight last year since DS wasn't in elementary yet), I still am waiting for Ashton to come out saying we've been Punk'd!

And that's an interesting way of putting the writing - 5 year old stamina for writing vs. the advanced work. Can I "steal" that? It's the perfect description!

M
    M
    oops! Shouldn't have been typing so late! September, I mean, Sept!

S
    S
    I wish school would start already to get the anxiety over. DS5 starts first on the 9th. It is coming soon but still feels like it has been dragging. I am feeling good about things so far....but one thing not so good. I emailed the teacher to say hello and to introduce us seeing as how this is a little different situation as DS5 is skipping K. I didn't ask her to respond back but I would have responded if I were a teacher and she didn't. Having worked in schools for years I remind myself that not all teachers check their work email at home, etc. So I am hoping she just hasn't seen it yet. Oh well, I know this isn't really negative thing, but when talking with the principal I specifically requested a teacher that is good with communication, one that will let us know of any concerns and respond to us as well. I am planning to go over on the 8th to visit the room and meet teacher briefly. Hopefully she will be in the classroom. I asked her about when would be a good time in my email to her....

Originally Posted by shellymos
    I wish school would start already to get the anxiety over. DS5 starts first on the 9th.

Me too!

Shellymos - I'm sorry your haven't heard from your teacher yet. That's irritating and certainly adds to the mounting stress of the unknown.

DH and I met with the teacher and the principal to discuss DS's "differences." We got a little bit of "Don't worry, we've had kids with scores like your DS's before." DH explained how the new tests compare with the old, then we got "Oh, then we've had one kid sort of like your DS who is now a college grad." It took us awhile to believe it, so I don't blame the folks at school for not getting it yet. Anyway, the teacher wants to meet DS before deciding what to do, which is fine, I guess. Also encouraging is that the focus does not appear to be mainly academic, but rather on learning to "do school." I think it will be OK.

DS and I went to the open house, and teacher had left mints on a note for each kid saying something like "Thanks for visting the school. It really 'mint' a lot to us." I thought "Yay, hooray!" A teacher who likes puns and word-play is going to be great for DS. (In fact, on the way out I said to DS, "That classroom looks really neat! He said, "I thought it was kind of messy." I started to explain what I meant, and he said "I know, mom, it was a joke, and if you say it seemed cool, I'll tell you it was warm.") The classroom is what one parent described as "every kindergartner's dream" -- raised castle stage area with pillows, piano, big lego table, lots of bins full of cool stuff.

And, on a happy side note, the nurse just told me that there is another kid in DS's room with peanut allergies. Yay! He's not the only one!

I might have to take out some of these details later, but will share for now. smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    shellymos-that has to be frustrating!

I just got the "DS said no to moving to first" email. Great. Just great. Granted, it doesn't mean he won't be accelerated, but still. I guess this is the part where Ashton starts to come out to tell us we were definitely punk'd.

sigh

on a side, I did respond requesting that he be placed in a 1st grade class for a few hours or days first before they make the decision. I think if he was tested BEFORE he started K and started in 1st, he wouldn't be so against it (with the only reason being he'll miss his teacher).

Page 19 of 76 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM