Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Belle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Well today was the straw that broke the camel's back for DS6 and when I picked him up today he was in tears, told me he was done and never wanted to go back.....I am shocked it took him so long to reach this point after almost a nightmare 4 weeks. They refused to do any kind of acceleration or differentiation despite everything we shared with them and then they get upset when he starts acting out. 4 weeks of work that was several levels below his needs and not expecting him to rebel in anyway due to this was absurd. This poor kid SO badly wanted this to work out.

I shook my head when I read that Obama is planning to address the students in the country to call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizen.

Well gee....if schools continue this trend of forcing all kids into a one size fits all box and if you are an out of the box thinker,want to share your own voice, or are advanced.... it's not allowed. All students must work at the same level no matter what....how are these kids ever going to learn to stand on their own two feet, learn to creatively solve problems and become global citizens if they are not allowed to explore, experiment,or shine at school?

Anyways - I am SO excited to be back in the world of homeschooling - we are looking at signing him up for the EPGY Math online class (still trying to figure out where the money is going to come from), I enrolled him in several science workshop classes at a variety of science museums around the state, he started karate this week and loves it, we are looking at attempting to set up our own Jr. lego or robotics league with my husband sponsoring it and now if I could just find a programming class for kids we would be set. I have put some feelers out for mentors for him and hopefully will find something. The stress level in the house is completely gone and for the first time in weeks, this afternoon he was actually smiling and happy as we went hiking with his best friend (who is homeschooled). We have already planned a trip to the local nature preserve tomorrow to meet with the ranger
    and check out a special manatee education box they have :-) Manatees are his new love right now and he is adament in trying to figure out ways to protect them from boats :-) We even found an overnight camp out in 2 weeks at a state zoo that allows the kids to tour the manatee enclosure and go behind the scenes and then sleep in the manatee house overnight- he is completely giddy.

I am just still confused and angry that these special children are just falling between the cracks left and right, their needs are not being met or you have to fight tooth and nail to get any kind of change - I wish there was something I could do to just voice how upsetting and what a disservice they are doing to the world by not meeting these kids needs.

Belle - well, I'm sad it didn't work out but it sounds like you have everything else in place now for him so WOOHOO!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
    Belle Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    kcab - that is what has been on my mind for the last few weeks - I really wish that more people were aware of what SO many people on this board go through on a daily basis just to get our kid's needs met. everyone on here is so dedicated to their children and are wanting to advocate for their kids and it is just so difficult. I am a member of a gifted society on the other side of our state and I love the group of moms who started the support group and its the same story with all of them as well - and then all the books I have read stating the same thing. It is just so frustrating because I would really love to see DS succeed in a public school and I know all it would take is the right connection with a teacher who had some knowledge about gifted children and a desire to help a child shine. The one interesting thing that I have learned in the past few weeks is that if I ever go back into teaching again, there are a number of things I would change. I have been pondering going back to get my gifted endorsement just so I can understand DS better and maybe try to be a voice. My husband has laughed and told me to sit and write a book about all the stories/successes/failures of all the many families out there with gifted children.
    I just feel this need to just get the picture out to people in higher powers to see just how so many of us are struggling to get these amazing kids the things they need.

M
    M
    Belle, I'm sorry it didn't go as your son had hoped, but it sounds like you finally have him back! Isn't it wonderful to see that smile on their face, to have that love of learning back? Best wishes with your homeschooling (sounds like you have everything covered!)

M
    M
    Belle, I too am sorry it didn't work out for you the way you had hoped, but I'm so glad that you are both so happy again now. I'm sure it means so much to your child to see that he can count on you to take his wants and his needs into account--you're a great mom, and I'm sure you'll have a fun and productive year together!

peace
    minnie

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM