Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My Ds9 has been beating me at every game including Chess this summer. It's a little scarey. I'm just congratulating him and saying good for you although I must say a little blow to my ego. I'm happy for him but I wonder what does he think of beating his Mom at every game. I'm afraid to ask. He said Dad can still beat him at games. How will he play with his friends. Can one enjoy winning when no one wants to play?

Maybe I'm overreacting. He freeks me out sometimes. Mostly he plays sports and pokemon with the kids. Just need to let this out somewhere. Thanks for listening.......

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/26/09 10:57 AM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    How will he play with his friends. Can one enjoy winning when no one wants to play?
    This is why he must develop good sportsmanship, because nobody will want to play games with him... especially if he is a braggadocios winner.

And, if he is truly beating everyone at everything, I'd strongly suggest seeking out more accomplished players -- who can whoop his skinny butt -- so that he doesn't get overly confident, and stands a much better chance at improving.

For chess in particular, get thee to a chess club! In person would be best in terms of developing manners, but on-line would definitely take care of the challenge and enrichment.

It won't take too many whoopings to give him a good sense of reality.

One thing an organization like DYS will do is get him around his intellectual peers... I imagine it will be a whole new ball game. I'd bet that no matter how smart our little rocket scientists seem to us, on day one @ a DYS-type gathering, we're gonna meet the kids who were doing differential calculus before they were potty-trained. Kinda puts everything into perspective in a hurry.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    S
    S
    That's tough, but hopefully he will meet people that beat him in the future LOL. We play a lot of games in our house and DS5 wins quite often. It is sad. He is just learning chess but I am sure it is only a matter of time before he beats me at that. I would also suggest some games that are more solitaire games that are challenging. There are a ton of these games out there that aren't quite as competitive...just challenging for yourself. DS5 enjoys mastermind, and all those thinkfun games. Also he is in love with the website www.mypuzzle.org. It has tons of those puzzle type things and although he is great at them....some still stump him for a while. It still is humbling when he is much better than me at those games.

There are also games that depend on a variety of skills, SET and Blokus come to mind. Settlers of Catan and Apples to Apples develop social skills, but need 3 players.

In a way, being around older kids might solve some of his 'no one to play with' problems. Hint, Hint.

As for chess - I reccomend that you study up a bit and come back and become a challenge for him. If you enjoy that sort of thing, I know I do. I've been playing DS Chessmaster, the art of learning all summer while my son was away at camp. Lots of basic chess stratagy books at your library too.

I agree that Chess Clubs are a natural, too.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DS6 and I are both getting into chess. It's something I remember doing with my dad when I was young, so I'm glad that he's enjoying it. We're playing on chess.com and we've found a local chess club that we go to.

And yes, he does beat me. The ratio is about 4:1 or 5:1. He's getting pretty good, but I'll admit I'm not a great player.

We're really having fun with it. DS is such a patterns guy that it's a natural fit...

JB

Originally Posted by Dandy
    I'd bet that no matter how smart our little rocket scientists seem to us, on day one @ a DYS-type gathering, we're gonna meet the kids who were doing differential calculus before they were potty-trained. Kinda puts everything into perspective in a hurry.

LOL! I guess that depends on when they were potty trained...

Originally Posted by Dottie
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I've been playing DS Chessmaster, the art of learning all summer while my son was away at camp.
    She's good, wink !

Here's wishing your son some worthy opponents!

I wish I was good at chess, but sadly - the better one gets, the more one realizes how far she has to go! - I have improved tremendously since June. One thing I really like doing is playing with DS13 against the computer. I think it is good for his verbal communication, negotiation, and delaying impulsivity skills - and it is fun and it removes the 'me v. him' dynamic.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    I wonder if he might like some cooperative games once in a while, onthegomom? We have really enjoyed the games from Family Pastimes--and I expect that there are other vendors out there, too--but we find it fun to play something where there is a common goal, and everyone has to work together to reach that goal. It takes the whole win/loss aspect out of it, and returns it to sheer play. Just an idea, anyway...

peace
    minnie

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Minniemarx, That sound like a good idea. Do you have cooperative game reccomendation for my DS9 and DD6 to play together with my husband and I. I want to start a Fri or Sat family fun night with games or movie. ( Ithink I'll start a new thread for fmily fun night ideas)

It occured to me after my orginal post why I was so upset yesterday about this...
    Sometimes I worry as he get more advance that it distances us. (Yet, I can't discourage his need to be challenged and learn) And yesterday was the first day back to school. I miss them.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/27/09 06:50 AM.
    M
    M
    Sorry, onthegomom, I haven't been around for a day or two, so I missed seeing this--and I see that kcab gave you the link for Family Pastimes on your other thread. We have half a dozen of these games (Granny's House, Growlies in the Garden, Harvest Time, Secret Door, Bus Depot Diner, Sleeping Grump); most of those are for littler people than your older son, but you might take a look at their website and just see if any of their games appeal to you. They have several adult games as well as the ones for young'uns, and quite a few that they describe as "multi-age".

peace
    minnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM