Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Here's the GAI Table for Canadian Norms in case anyone needs it.

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    hi all
    i am glad to see they added it, but am still a bit baffled as to why they do not soften up the WPPSI requirements. The 150 is tough and there is no GAI. My DD5 got a 147 FSIQ which i am pretty sure is 99.9%tile and I am certain that if such a thing as GAI existed for WPPSI, her GAI would pass 150. Someone mentioned that the scores for young kids are less reliable somehow, so maybe that is the reason??
    irene

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to pull stuff to see if anything changed, like maybe some of the ACT/SAT criteria at the higher levels.

Did these change? I'm curious because they really don't seem that high to me.

Originally Posted by renie1
    hi all
    i am glad to see they added it, but am still a bit baffled as to why they do not soften up the WPPSI requirements. The 150 is tough and there is no GAI. My DD5 got a 147 FSIQ which i am pretty sure is 99.9%tile and I am certain that if such a thing as GAI existed for WPPSI, her GAI would pass 150. Someone mentioned that the scores for young kids are less reliable somehow, so maybe that is the reason??
    irene

I am so with you. DS5 has both PIQ and FSIQ in the 99.9% but not the required 150. If there was a GAI for WPPSI, his would be more than 150. Dottie was kind enough to calculate GAI for DS7 (DYS, PIQ>=150) and his was over 150. DS5's GAI would be even higher. Stupid coding frown Extended scoring on WPPSI would be nice too.

At the very least it gives me a hope that if we wait for WISC then he has even better chance to get in.

LMom
    N
    N
    Yay! Based on this DD8 should qualify. We were an eyelash hair away with the old standards, but make it with room to spare with the GAI. Problem is, our achievement testing is now out of date, but that is cheaper and easier than doing an IQ re-test.

Thanks for the info, made my day.

NCMom2 - only 1 set of data has to be w/in 2yrs.

S
    Sky Offline
    S
    We're thinking about applying DD for YS but I'm not sure these scores will do. Her FSIQ is only 135: She took the WISC-IV
    VCI:
    V = 18
    C = 17
    S = 18

PRI:
    B = 14
    M = 17
    P = 17

PSI:
    C = 9
    S = 15

Please help. Do you think she qualifies?

Dottie, please work your "magic".

Last edited by Sky; 08/27/09 03:14 AM.
    S
    Sky Offline
    S
    Thank you, Dottie. You are so fast. This is such a great group to come for info. Thank you all so much. My DD is 9. Which do you recommend, Explore, ACT or SAT and when/where can go to have her tested?

S
    Sky Offline
    S
    Her teacher recommended an IQ test so that's what we had done. She is in the GT classes now but she's starting to complain it's boring and this is just the first week! Should I have asked for an achievement test, too? I'm just now becoming more involved with my dd's education needs so I'm still a little behind. I've been to trusting in the school systems.

Thank you, Dottie. I'll call the psychologist who gave her the IQ test to see if she also gives achievement test. I am assuming that the WJ is the most recommended?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    For age 9, yes...the WJ is best.

How 'bout for age 7?

& why? Or, can you direct me to a website that discusses the age-related preferences of one test over another?

Kinda moot at this point... considering HE'S RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS TEST AT THIS VERY MOMENT AND I'M NOT DEALING WITH IT VERY WELL.... AND WHERE THE %$#!@ IS MY SCOTCH???

Whoa. Sorry.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM