Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    OP Offline
    DS6 has now been in 4th grade for 2 1/2 weeks. According to his teacher everything is going fine. But every morning when I drop him off, I have a knot in my stomach like i'm feeding him to the wolves. I've also noticed some dramatic changes in his language and interests. All of a sudden my meek, mild little boy wants to play soldier and "kill" the bad guys. He told his little brother that he would "kill him" if he didn't stay out of his stuff etc... You get the idea. He drew a skull and crossbones on the back of his math homework. So I've decided that he needs to come home. The problem is that it's just not possible for us to survive on one income.

The day after I made this decision, the preschool that my littles goes to announced that it's closing it's doors. The owner is retiring after 11 years. So...... I bought it!

As of September 1st, I officially own a preschool! The idea is that I can homeschool DS6 and still earn an income. Part of me is so excited to have figured out a solution and the other half is terrified! I'm keeping the staff, the director and everyone else so most of what I do is paperwork (hopefully).

I can't decide if i'm completely nuts or if this really will work. I only know that I want my "wimpy" kid back!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    WOW!!!!

Congrats, best of luck smile Sounds worth a try.

OH wow - when you make changes you go BIG!!!!!! Best of luck and please keep us posted!

X
    X
    Congrats. Best of Luck to you.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    ... the preschool that my littles goes to announced that it's closing it's doors. The owner is retiring after 11 years. So...... I bought it!

I can't decide if i'm completely nuts or if this really will work.

I cast my vote for "completely nuts."

Then again, I've been self-employed since forever, and I know that you can't be successful if you aren't at least a "little bit" nuts. So being "completely nuts" can only be beneficial.

Good luck!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    B
    B
    I say "Yeah!" for getting your "wimpy" kid back. We grow up too fast as it is...

best of luck to you and yours.

Wow - that is great news! I wouldn't be at all suprised if a lot of PG families don't move into your neighborhood just to send their children to school with you!

OK - some people like fantisy basball teams, here's my fantisy preschool curricula:

Character building: All Children Flourishing - Igniting the Greatness of Our Children (Paperback)
    by Howard Glasser with Melissa Block

Small Motor and writing readiness: http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/prek

I would us Ruf's lists to keep track of how each child is progressing, and create flexible groups based on those lists:
    http://www.giftedbooks.com/productdetails.asp?id=48

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamental-S...ildren/dp/0130139416/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2
    Is aimed at K-2nd, but might make a good addition to the gross motor library.

Enjoy,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Wow, Shari, isn't it interesting how opportunities just seem to fall into place when you least expect them? This sounds wonderful!!!! Best of luck with your son and YOUR preschool! smile

That sounds exciting! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. smile

H
    H
    Awesome Shari! Maybe I can move out there and put my DD3 in your preschool and we can tag team hsing the boys. Congrats and good luck!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM