Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 76 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 75 76
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    And just a random update from me: DS5.5 still won't tell me what he does at school. He thinks it's funny NOT to tell me.

JJsMom- we made a deal with our DS last year when he refused to tell me about his school day. We would ask three questions about his day that he had to answer then we would drop it. In the beginning, I'd ask one super silly question just to warm him up. "Did Ms. Smith stand on her head today?" After the requisite eye roll . . . I'd then ask two more questions. Then, I'd follow through with my promise to stop. I would encourage DS to ask me three questions about my day which sometimes caused him to spill a bit more about his day too.

You also may want to try playing the "high/low" game at dinner time where everyone says their favorite and least favorite thing that happened in the day. "Tell me the high point of your school day." "What was the low point?" This can be really great for perfectionist kids so they can see that everyone has struggles daily.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I like the three questions idea, though he did tell me he'd tell me about his day tomorrow. ha. We do the high/low thing at bed time usually, but he will tell me things like "I didn't like getting up so early" and "I loved helping you do this or that" instead of anything about school. but I suppose I could make it to be about school/work.

DD3.5 has also started the "I don't feel like/want to tell you about my day". ha!

W
    W
    I really love reading about everyone else but I have the BEST news EVER!!!! Well at least based on the school experience we've had over the past 12 months (a watered down version of advocacy hell)...

Wolf's Independent Study teacher met with him today to set up curriculum and right off the bat she passed him up to 1st (I wasn't expecting that till the semester). He's getting all 1st work and a subject acceleration in math to 2nd. He has the go ahead to work through it as fast as he wants to also! If he finishes he can just go on to the next grade in that subject!!! Also there are enough little kids to have a weekly class and it is scheduled perfectly for our schedule! He's even getting to start Spanish and ASL. I am SO happy. Wolf got everything he needed and wanted.

I know that IS lets you work at your own pace, but after the horror of last year's dealing with our home district this is just too much for words!!!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    [quote=JJsMom]
    And just a random update from me: DS5.5 still won't tell me what he does at school. He thinks it's funny NOT to tell me.

DS7 was very much like this. I called him my little teenager at the time. What'd you do at school? "Nothing" Who'd you play with? "No one", etc. So, I started asking really detailed questions like, "So, was Jonny the silliest person in your class today?" He will finally tell me a few things, though it has taken a few years. I think he likes thinking of home and school as separate. I also find that if I throw out the best thing that happened question at bedtime, when he's relaxed, I'll sometimes get more interesting information.

Wyldkat: That all sounds fabulous! Congrats!

Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    I really love reading about everyone else but I have the BEST news EVER!!!! Well at least based on the school experience we've had over the past 12 months (a watered down version of advocacy hell)...

Wolf's Independent Study teacher met with him today to set up curriculum and right off the bat she passed him up to 1st (I wasn't expecting that till the semester). He's getting all 1st work and a subject acceleration in math to 2nd. He has the go ahead to work through it as fast as he wants to also! If he finishes he can just go on to the next grade in that subject!!! Also there are enough little kids to have a weekly class and it is scheduled perfectly for our schedule! He's even getting to start Spanish and ASL. I am SO happy. Wolf got everything he needed and wanted.

I know that IS lets you work at your own pace, but after the horror of last year's dealing with our home district this is just too much for words!!!

That's fantastic, Wyldkat! smile

Yay!

Kriston
    W
    W
    That is great news Wyldkat. I missed most of this story and you said your district was bad, is this a private school or a new development in the district program?

Today is DS5's first day. I'm getting a (mild) migraine (complete with aura) to celebrate. DS5 is cranky and difficult. He hates all his shorts, and he got breakfast all over his good shirt already.

It's going to be a loooooong day! I'm really hoping this is not foreshadowing the rest of the year.

Griping over. Thanks for letting me whine. smile Here's to a good day!

Kriston
    Good luck!

Great news, Wyldkat.

Good luck, Kriston. Does DS5 have the same teacher like DS8?

LMom
    Page 13 of 76 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM