Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    My dd took an SRI at school on the computer that comes out a lexiles. but the levels are just computer analysis of sentence structure lenght and vaocabulary.
    The list the sent home with her for her lexile included
    one flew over the cuckos nest, I know why the caged bird sings and babbit. so it wasn't very useful.

Out of curiosity, for those of you with very advanced readers, do you censor what they read? I admit I gave up on that last year when DS was 9 (and I was probably pretty slack about it when he was 8, come to think about it). We're not interested in the same books and I got tired of previewing everything. I generally let him read whatever he's interested in. He tells me that if there is a particularly violent part, or deals with sex, and it bothers him, he skips over it.
    LOL !!!
    I gave Ghost A Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night when he was about 10, without reading it first. He comes to me and says "Do you know that they talk about sex in this book? Do you really want me to read it?". He loved the book, by the way, and still thought after that that babies are made by kissing :-)

BTW, Ghost started reading Pullman's trilogy about the same time and he absolutely hated it. Now, since the movie is out, I suggested that he might want to go back and he said a very frim NO.
    ???

DS loved the Pullman's trilogy, but hid it from me as much as possible. I later learned that it has some sex in it. DS11 doesn't want to see the movies of the Harry Potter books, which I couldn't figure out since he liked the books. I figure that they must know what they want to see.

Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    acs Offline
    I don't censor. DS is very sensitive to primary characters dying and painful violence (just like his mother) and, on his own, started reading the back cover, chapter titles, and the last 2 pages of a book to make sure he could "trust" it before starting it. This is like heresy to DH, but this is how I have always read books too. In fact, I stopped reading Harry Potter after book 4 becuase I found it entirely too disturbing. DS kept reading, but only after I had found out "on the streets" who was going to die in each book. Once he knew what to expect, he could handle the rest. As I said, heresy to DH. but sanity to DS and me.

P
    P
    Yes, I am referring to Accelerated Reader. I have no problem with the school using the STAR test for reading group placement and as an indicator of high reading achievement. I just don't think it should be used in the same way that achievement test scores are used for GT placement. I think the WIAT, PIAT, SAT, etc. are much more reliable. The STAR is an assessment test adn not an achievement test. For instance, my DD just took the STAR test again Tuesday and improved half a grade level over two months. Yes, she reads a lot, but this seems like a big improvement in a short time. Or maybe I'm wrong about this.

I agree with you about the grade level assignments of some AR books. It does seem like some books have the wrong level. I don't understand how they assign the levels.

Hoagies has an excellent reading list page which includes reading lists on a variety of topics for gifted kids.

http://hoagiesgifted.org/hot_topics.htm

Originally Posted by CFK
    ...DS was never interested in reading something where the main character is say a mouse for example, like in the Redwall books. And this even at age 6. I decided his reading tastes were more linked to his mental age than his chronological age.

<grin>

I so agree! And I had to laugh (sadly) at this:

Originally Posted by CFK
    I think the only age appropriate books he reads right now are the ones he's forced to read in school.

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I have definitely made mistakes about choosing books. I don't believe in censoring (I was furious when the church newsletter warned parents about the Pullman books, as it did with DaVinci Code a few years ago). However, I picked one "coming of age" or "memoir" book that I'm too embarrassed to even list on this for DS13 a couple years ago. Luckily, DH picked it up and browsed through it and found very graphic stuff, which my DS was not mature enough to be reading. I definitely am more careful now.

Ania--I loved Curious Incident...DS picks out his own books now, and as long as they're mainstream and don't have really dark stuff, I'm ok with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM