Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    X
    OP Offline
    X
    Hi everyone I am back for more advice and support. smile

Today was the first day of school and I just dropped off the kiddos. *background* 7 year old ds grade skipped over the summer. He is now in 3rd grade instead of 2nd (he tested the middle of 4th grade). I am not sure if I am just having overprotective mom feelings or what.

He did not get the teacher I requested in writing or that they said would be the best fit for him. Instead he was placed with a teacher that previously taught my daughter. She is not what I would call warm and fuzzy but I do know her so I didn't make a fuss. Kind of a devil I know instead of the devil I don't situation *not that she is a devil grin LOL* Last year we got a dud of a teacher because of the principal's highly recommended suggestion.

When I dropped him off he didn't know anyone in his class. He went to 2nd grade the end of last year so he wouldn't feel so lost and have some peers. He didn't see any of them. He looked so little compared to his classmates. He also seemed unsure and he is never unsure of himself. frown Of course we have never accelerated a grade either. I walked out of there not sure if I was in mama bear mode or not.

They didn't send any info on his GATE testing or placement. Usually they send a letter. I got the impression at our grade skip meeting last year that the GATE was in a perilous postion cause of budget cuts.

So obviously I need to follow up on the GATE stuff but should I do anything else? What would you do in my situation?

*Edited to add* Maybe he didn't get into GATE. I never thought of that.

My youngest ones went back to school today too (first and third grades) so I'll have a cup of virtual coffee with you. I think back to school is harder on the parents than the kids.
    Last year I was not happy about one of the teachers assigned, for weeks kept a close eye on everything he did. And you know what? He turned out to be a super teacher.
    As for the GATE assignment, why don't you send an email to the principal and ask for an update. At our school the gifted classes start a couple of weeks into the school year. I'm sure if he skipped a grade, he qualifies for GATE!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Yes I totally agree, I dread the first day back. My boys don't start until 9th Sept and I am already having nightmares! My DS7 is also skipping (2 grades) so I really feel for you and understand your anxiety - I know that on the first day he will be crying (although this will happen whether he is skipped or not). Try not to worry as problems can always be ironed out and I am sure that the first few days may be a bit wobbly.

I would follow up on the GATE as there is no harm in asking smile

Hopefully he will see some of the children he met towards the end of 2nd grade at recess. Thinking of you and hope that he has a great day (fingers crossed)!

It aint just you!

I'm hoping that your DS7 has a great day!

For what it's worth, I've heard that 'true self esteem' is built when we succed at project that we consider difficult. Perhaps his unsureness is a very good sign that when he oversomes this challenge, he will truly have built self esteem.

I'm glad that you know this teacher, and that she isn't a dud.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    We dont start until the 3rd. They have a couple of days then a 3 day weekend. DW is nervouse about the grade skip and peer issues. We don't know what teacher we will get, we don't know where they will place him for math, and we haven't even looked at GATE. Mostly because the principal is on board and willing to adjust as needed. She is picking the best teacher for him, we only know one of the 3rd grade teachers, and for math they have agreed to 4th grade, or even 5th if needed, or looking at using online math. DS& is happy about the skip and is looking forward to school. DW and I are the nervous ones.

My DS also 7 is also in 3rd and also skipped first and half of second grade. He starts tomorrow. He has a new teacher, too.

DD1o grade skipped 5th and starts 6th tomorrow. Also all new experiences.

I feel for you. Hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    You guys are the best. smile

The principal just emailed me. She placed him with that teacher because that is the GATE cluster class. There won't be any pull out GATE program this year because of budget cuts I assume. The GATE coordinator is supposed to call me later to follow up.

School gets out in a hour and half. I hope he and my dd had a great day. As well as all of your kiddos.

B
    B
    We definitely dreaded the first day as well :-( We have been in school two weeks now....this weekend DS6 started to get really sick (first time in like 10 months) and low and behold we are now the proud owners of the Swine Flu :-( So we have to have a 7 day quarantine period from school and will go back in a week....argghh - germs :-(

X
    OP Offline
    X
    Sorry Belle. Hope your ds feels better soon.

OH no Belle - already? Well, at least you got it over early.

Oh no Belle, sorry to hear! But at least you guys won't need shots frown

B
    B
    xoxosmom - how did the first day go? I have been thinking about all the moms/dads out there with first day of school starting today :-)

D
    D
    Originally Posted by xoxosmom
    They didn't send any info on his GATE testing or placement. Usually they send a letter. I got the impression at our grade skip meeting last year that the GATE was in a perilous postion cause of budget cuts.

I wondered about our son, too. It was like pulling teeth to find out if he qualified. (I figured he would, but ya just never know.)

So finally -- after lots of calling around -- I got the "Thumbs Up" ... followed by the announcement that it really doesn't matter because there will be no GATE program this year. How 'bout them apples!

This is the first year I didn't have any anxiety -- rather refreshing.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    M
    M
    Belle - sorry to hear about your DS - hope he feels better soon.

X
    OP Offline
    X
    He had a good first day. I got the sense he was still a little unsure of what to do with himself at lunch and on the playground but he was happy with the actual classroom time.

I wish I could make it easier for him to fit in but I also know that it is something he needs to work out on his own. Did you do anything at home with your accelerated child to ease the transition and encourage playtime at school?

Originally Posted by xoxosmom
    I wish I could make it easier for him to fit in but I also know that it is something he needs to work out on his own. Did you do anything at home with your accelerated child to ease the transition and encourage playtime at school?

If a child is young enough for the grownups to arrange playdates, then the teacher might be willing to reccomend other moms you could call to set up a playdate outside of school. If the kids are setting up their own playdates, you can try to get another mom to 'just happen' to be at a particular playground with their son at the same time you 'just happen' to be there. Or the video store, or anyother place you regularly do errands.

Sometimes the teacher will ask one of the popular and kind boys to keep an eye on your son and make sure that he is included on the playground, similar to what is often done for a child who has just moved from another school.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    I'm looking forward to the first day as we got the teacher we want. She knows my DD from last year when she came into her class to get the appropriate books for her level. Also her new teacher and last year's teacher are friends and have discussed my DD.

However what I *do* dislike about the first day is the feeling like we're going backwards. I was so excited about DD's abilities from this summer - swimming, finally riding a bike, reading a few Harry Potter books, and some fun science experiments. However, we had the school's open house this week and got the list of 2nd grade books and a note about what they will be doing in 2nd grade such as mastering addition and subtraction. sigh....

I need to get over this frustrating feeling. We have a individual education plan for our DD, but it still feels like we're going to have that first few months of adjusting.

School starts on Monday for my dd. She can't wait to go back.

M
    M
    last year, when my son was going in to 1st, we invited over the kids he knew from K who would be in his class, just before the start of school. I thought it might help him feel more at ease, socially, and have the kids feel more familiar to each other. We had a good time, and he still plays with some of those kids. The year turned out to be a trainwreck b/c of horrible teacher and toxic boredom, so he was skipped late in the year, but after he was skipped the friendships seemed to work better - with the same kids! So now we're trying it again this weekend, having some people over from the new class to try to make them feel like a familiar group when they start Monday. It feels harder, as they get older. When they were rising 1st graders, everyone wanted their kids to get to know people better. Now, rising 3rd, people have their groups more I think. It's a pain to try to build new connections!

as for all the teacher angst, ugh, I know. There's that whole 'they always say it will be fine but our track record is the first two months REALLY disappoint ds, who starts going downhill' worry. DS7 is ready for school, but we're all privately biting our nails over it, hoping it will, please please, finally go well!

O
    O
    Well the school days are going pretty good so far. My sons bored in math because he is waiting to get his above level work. We just had our first 3 days. BUT after the school day, a melt down each night by my DD6.

Last year it took till about Oct.to feel like dd6 & DS9 were in the swing of things. I've been very Patient having expected this.

hang in there everybody.

A
    A
    My ds is 7 and has been moved up to 3rd. With a possible move to 4th grade math until Dec. and then 5th grade math in Jan. However, we have a unique situation. My ds is attending a virtual public school this year. I think I would be really worried, just like you, if he was attending a brick and morter public school. I hope everything works out.

Kathy-TX

O
    O
    I was wondering why it's questionable to do above grade math in regular class? I'm new to all this.

I don't want to sidetrack this post. I'll try to put together many of my bits of questions and info from my many posts so you can get a better understanding of our plan. I feel like the Math is going to be ok. He may need more challenges so if I keep him in class for Math, it's not so bad if he is pulled out for something else like keyboard lessons.

warning - my new post will be long. I totally understand if nobody wants to go thru all this. Post: above grade math in regular class?

B
    B
    Yes, we are still here - hack hack cough cough - BLAH! Thanks for asking Dottie :-) This thing is nasty - we are going on day 10 and we still are dealing with it - blah....DS6 is almost back to normal but is a massive "snot machine" (as he calls himself) and mine turned into pneumonia and went straight to my chest so I sound like a freight train but am starting to feel like I am heading back to the normal side (if I ever was normal) :-) DH was able to get on Tamflu immediately and he was completely cleared in less than 2 days and left for Japan on a business trip (oh does he owe me big time!)....

DS6 is heading back to school on Monday and I am BEYOND stressed.....this past week even though we were sick, there was NO stress like I had been going through the first 2 weeks of school...we asked a request for him to be moved into the new first grade classroom that they are starting up due to over crowding and the principal called me yesterday and said they are not moving any children that have IEPs even if the parents are requesting it :-( So we are stuck with this teacher who very obviously wants nothing to do with differentiation or changing her way of making all kids do the exact same thing...she sent us an email note and said that DS6 will have some work to make up that includes review of the alphabet letters and placing the numbers 1-20 in order....I just wanted to yell through the computer and say, "come on....my son has known this stuff since he was 4 and you are going to make him complete makeup work on stuff he has already way beyond mastered". DS is upset thinking he is going back to doing all boring work tomorrow...so my stomach is just curdling :-( Why does it have to be so hard!

I'm a bit late, because DD6 started school last Monday, but I thought I'd chime in.
    I was dreading the first day of school because we've moved states and DD's entering gr 2 due to a grade skip last year mid year. We know virtually nothing about the school she's going to except that they have full day gt program starting in gr 3.
    After a week of school I can say that my dread has not gone away, but has stayed right where it was. Her reading book is almost identical to the one she had last year (it was easy then, so it is going to be even easier now. frown ) The math she's brought home is also the same as she did last year.
    Science is a "special" subject so they only have it 1 day a week, and at the moment they are learning about saying no to violence. Which, I know is important, but it is definitely not science. crazy
    She has already complained that 2nd grade is too easy and that she really doesn't like her new school much.
    We have a possible change in the future though that hopefully will be better. (More on that once I get more info.)

A
    A
    I dreaded school due to DS7's issue with transitions. Last year, I had a constant stomachache on days they were in school. The first day they went (Thursday), sure enough, I had a stomachache.

They are doing wonderfully though. The Special Ed teacher chose their teachers for them this year because of what she saw as strengths in their relationships with the children. That seems to be working so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM